How heavily armed is your state

How do you remember shit I don't even remember I posted? Hell I barely remember that THREAD!
[rofl]
All I remembered was that I once posted about how using my dumbass ad-hoc system
for tracking active threads managed to reap the Trump megathread
during a brief shining moment when no one posted anything for a hair over 24 hours.

It was just your supreme bad luck to be the guy in on the conversation...

Now I return to not posting in the Trump megathread,
just like how a moth doesn't circle a porch light that's turned off...

not really sure it’s is accurate but it’s interesting

This is an extremely old and inaccurate article. For example, with RI, CBS used the number of Attorney General-licensed concealed carry permit holders. There's two massive problems with that: (a) ownership of a gun in RI doesn't require a carry permit; and (b) in addition to the RIAG, town law enforcement also issues carry permits, meaning there's two permitting systems and an applicant has the statutory right to apply to either the AG or the town for a carry permit.

This is an extremely old and inaccurate article. For example, with RI, CBS used the number of Attorney General-licensed concealed carry permit holders.
To be fair, that's about 70% of the total, as disclosed in town-by-town data for Rhode Island from about the same 2015-ish timeframe as the ancient CBS article.

I suspect similar issues are part of why these articles severely underestimate the prevalence of firearms ownership in traditional "open carry" states such as Maine & New Hampshire. Unlike in RI, towns rarely if ever reported pistol license statistics and in the last 5 years both states have gone to "constitutional carry", so fewer people are bothering to renew carry licenses given the minimal regional reciprocity benefits.

To be fair, that's about 70% of the total, as disclosed in town-by-town data for Rhode Island from about the same 2015-ish timeframe as the ancient CBS article.

I suspect similar issues are part of why these articles severely underestimate the prevalence of firearms ownership in traditional "open carry" states such as Maine & New Hampshire. Unlike in RI, towns rarely if ever reported pistol license statistics and in the last 5 years both states have gone to "constitutional carry", so fewer people are bothering to renew carry licenses given the minimal regional reciprocity benefits.

Again though, RI doesn't equate licensure with ownership. I'd say about 1-in-10 or 1-in-20 RI gun owners have a carry permit, in my observation. Carry permits are more common now in RI than in 2015 or 2010, but they're still not common. And I doubt the current bumper crop of new gun owners is rushing to receive carry permits - the overloads are from buying, not permit applications.

No way Texas is at #18.

I wonder what the stats would be if they excluded urbanized areas.

My guess is at least 80% of private owned firearms are outside of cities in relatively rural areas with much lower population density.

Also, the article probably relied on "registered" firearms and some back-o-napkin guesstimates. My guesstimate is the actual volume is much, much higher than they think.

I wonder what the stats would be if they excluded urbanized areas.

My guess is at least 80% of private owned firearms are outside of cities in relatively rural areas with much lower population density.

Also, the article probably relied on "registered" firearms and some back-o-napkin guesstimates. My guesstimate is the actual volume is much, much higher than they think.
I am only thinking about gun shows. The number of rifles/pistols being sold is mind numbing. Also the fact that a lot of transactions are being done in the parking lots face to face for both rifles and pistols.
No background checks involved.

States? It’s all about your neighbors. A few of us discovered over 20yr+ of causal conversation, that we’re gun owners. And, as hunters, we’ve ranged the yardage from our windows to various points on the road into our little development in the woods. Hmmm....

Back
Top Bottom