How does the RCBS Rock Chucker stake up against the competition?

Looking to get into reloading and wondering who offers the best "starter" kit, Lee, Dillon, RCBS. Want to reload rifle and handgun rounds. One guy I met is always ranting about the rock Chucker but I have never heard of it before him...

Any thoughts?

was thinking something along the lines of...
http://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Chucker-Supreme-Master-Reloading/dp/B0078MWM2W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417998422&sr=8-1&keywords=rcbs+rockchucker

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-50th-Anniversary-Reloading/dp/B00162RM3E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1417999000&sr=8-4&keywords=rcbs+rockchucker

The new RockChucker has the large die bushing thread, with a bushing to reduce the size to accommodate the smaller (more common) die thread standard.
The bushing can be pulled and replaced with a Hornady bushing adapter, the mating die bushings will allow you to set the dies once and swap them out REALLY easily.
The Lee has a similar feature built in, and will come with a few bushings, but the bushings and the press itself are not nearly as robust as the RCBS/Hornady combo.

I'm running a rockchucker jr that came in my starter kit close to 40 years ago. I've run it hard and still do a couple of hundred rounds a week on the old single stage. My progressive is a 25 yo Hornady projector. That too runs super. I wouldn't use Lee stuff myself, just looks cheap, pot metal stuff. But Dillon is a fine outfit too. They pretty much brought progressive presses to the masses. I'd have one except back in the day they were expensive and you had to buy direct. Practical pistol shooters discovered Dillon and pretty much put them on the reloading map.

Got my rockchucker after taking eddie coyle's class. So far it's worked great for 9mm, .357, and .223. Plan to use it soon for 35 Rem and 30-30 winchester.

My Rockchucker is about 35 years old. I've reloaded several hundred thousand rounds on it. I have to lube the ram periodically. Might buy another.

If you want a single stage, the rockchucker is a solid choice. How many calibers do you intend to load and what volume? If you are intending to load pistol at any significant volume, you may want to go straight to a progressive. I shoot action pistol matches. I loaded 50 rounds on my rockchucker and bought a progressive and never looked back.

I have a Lee Classic Cast to supplement my 550B, and I wish I bought the Rockchucker.

The Rockchucker cams over. The Lee doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom