How bad for my health?

I live in a condo in the city, so my reloading space is pretty limited. Ive been tumbling cases in an extra room with the door closed. I didnt even think until tonight that it might be putting lead in the air. Am I being paranoid or is it a real concern? The tumbler has a cover to it obviously, but could the particles be leaking out?

It is a concern and something you should take precautions with.
Most particulate is released when you separate out the brass and media and during pouring the media to and from the tumbler. Use a fan in the window blowing out with the door to the room open a couple of inches for makeup air flow and work close in front of the window if you can with the fresh air input to your back.

You can also wear a mask and gloves to minimize exposure.

You can keep dusting of your media down by adding a couple of tablespoons of water to it just before the tumbling cycle ends. You can also use used dryer sheets cut into smaller pieces(about 2x2 inches), these will capture some of the dust and clean your media somewhat.
Let your media dry out for a while after tumbling.

I use odorless mineral spirits instead of water, but I don't have to worry about anyone complaining of any smell as I'm not in a multiple occupancy dwelling nor do I have any detectors that may be sensitive to it.

As always, wash your hands after handling any reloading components or ammo.

The lead from bullets & primer went down range with the fired round. Little or nothing is left in the fired case. I believe that we are becomming paranoid.
I have been in the shooting/reloading game for around 55 years.
In bullseye indoor we didn't even have fans until somewere in the 70's.
I have cast tons of lead/wheelweights/linotype over the years, most of it indoors and I still have a decent memory. I believe that the lead absorbsion rate may vary from person to person and precautions should be taken, but I would not panic over it.
Just my opinion.

The lead from bullets & primer went down range with the fired round. Little or nothing is left in the fired case. I believe that we are becomming paranoid.
I have been in the shooting/reloading game for around 55 years.
In bullseye indoor we didn't even have fans until somewere in the 70's.
I have cast tons of lead/wheelweights/linotype over the years, most of it indoors and I still have a decent memory. I believe that the lead absorbsion rate may vary from person to person and precautions should be taken, but I would not panic over it.
Just my opinion.
I remember those days as well. Eye and ears were also optional. Thats why I'm deaf in one ear. As far as lead goes I've been a plumber for 38 years. When I was an apprentice we would melt lead in enclosed cellars 8 hrs a day 5 days a week. This went on until the industry changed to PVC with the solvent cement and cleaner. My point is I guess I don't stand a chance of getting out of this life alive.

You should always take precautions when doing anything around firearms for lead. Several people that I shoot with have high lead levels. I'm sure I do as well as I need to get it checked. Take all the precautions you can. I now ALWAYS wear gloves when reloading, cleaning my guns and esp. sifting media. I also wear a mask when sifting media. I too have been using D-lead soap, equip. cleaner, and hand cleaner. It's not worth the exposure not to take the chances. If you have to take the pills to rid the lead I've heard it is NOT fun at all. If you have the options try sifting media outside.

I live in a condo in the city, so my reloading space is pretty limited. Ive been tumbling cases in an extra room with the door closed. I didnt even think until tonight that it might be putting lead in the air. Am I being paranoid or is it a real concern? The tumbler has a cover to it obviously, but could the particles be leaking out?

ELW:

You'll live a long time by being aware of potential hazards like this with all your activities at home, work, and play.

+1

Bob

Hey 45acp, my dadinlaw and HIS dad both were plumbing, heating, and electircians for YEARS and they used to install furnaces by taking aesbestos in buckets, dumping water in it, and smearing it all over the furnace for insulation. dadinlaw is 65 or so, his dad is close to 90 and still running about! Oh, and I was hanging out with the folks at Northeast Bullet Company at their old shop and wondered about the whole lead thing, as well as I asked a guy who made fishing weights. It seems that unless the lead is vaporized, it is not going to be breathed in. And the bullet people had lead all over their hands and stuff, well, it may have been moly from the moly tumblers, but still, they were holed up in a basement shop making millions of bullets!! They were fine.

Now this is not to say you should not be smart about things, but don't freak out and install a $10k HEPA filtration system or anything! Just be smart and do things that make you feel comfortable. I only use my air cleaner in my shop when I am milling mahogany, walnut, and some other exotics. Other than those, domestic hardwoods don't hang in the air and my dust collector picks it all up.

. . . unless the lead is vaporized, it is not going to be breathed in. And the bullet people had lead all over their hands and stuff, well, it may have been moly from the moly tumblers, but still, they were holed up in a basement shop making millions of bullets!!

The first part of this statement is simply not true. Lead in the form of fine particulates, or adsorbed to fine particulates, can be dispersed into the air wherever lead is used, and can be inhaled, at which point it is virtually entirely absorbed into the body - it doesn't need to be vaporized. Harmful levels of particulate lead can be, and often are, present in indoor ranges and other areas frequented by shooters.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't change any of that, and it only makes sense to base your life decisions on information provided by those who are in a position to know the facts. I wouldn't call an industrial hygienist if my toilet broke, and I wouldn't consult a plumber for information on lead toxicity and exposure pathways. Living systems (and that includes each of us) are inherently stochastic, and some people will always beat the odds, no matter how heavily stacked against them. We all know people who smoke heavily their entire lives and never have a problem with it - you shouldn't conclude from that that cigarette smoking is not harmful.

You are correct, however, that dermal (skin) exposure, is not necessarily problematical. The dermal absorption factor for lead is quite low, meaning that it does not easily pass through the skin into the bloodstream. What can be a problem is eating or smoking with that lead on your hands, at which point some of the lead becomes ingested and absorbed. The answer, as others have pointed out previously, is to be diligent about washing your hands and face following shooting, bullet casting, or reloading sessions.

OK, that vaporizing statement was made in reference to the lead fishing weight guy who had spent yrs making fishing weights. The lead he used from what I understand was not in the air as dust and such and so he was speaking to the lead heating up and becoming airbourne, which requires a much higher than melting temperature. Sorry if I was not clear. Problem with the lead and moly that gets on your fingers is that you can't sneak back upstairs after a clandestine loading session and get away with it, as yer wife will noticed the black fingers!!

Oh, and if you call me stochastic again I am gonna smack you right in YOUR stochastic!!! heehee...

Funny story on people not understanding anatomy and physiology and well, hell, vocabulary. We were at one of those stupid time share things so we could score some plane tickets and this girl (I think she was from WAY up north in Maine) was acting all sophisticated and such while she tried to sell us on this dumn thing. SO we go up to this picture and it is a nice winter scene and she starts telling us about how her grandmother taught her how to skate and when she did, she tied a pillow on her butt so she would not hurt her collar bone... So my wife and I are about ready to die of laughter and we walk out after it is over and burst out laughing, after I smack her on her ass and say, "Oh sorry honey, did I hurt your collarbone?" HAHAHAHA!!! What a freaking riot...

Back
Top Bottom