• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

House Passes AWB; Senate Up Next

I wouldn’t be surprised if this never even makes it to the floor of the Senate. The Dem’s are desperately trying to hold on to their 50/50 split. With both Kelly of Arizona and Hassan of NH on the bubble, making them come out in favor of an AWB might just be enough to push them out. I might be giving them more credit than I should, but I don’t think they are stupid enough to push through a law that will, in all probability, be rejected by the Supreme Court yet might result in them losing control of the Senate.

I still think it’s a misdirection to get people to ignore the much more dangerous HR 2814, which would repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.

Don't want to start a new thread over this but I guess it might be time to increase my mag supply. I have not bought in several years. So what's the best place these days to pick up some AR -10 and AR - 15, 20 round mags?

Picking up a DD5 V3 from an NES FFL.
it would be a great gun if price was about $1200 less than it is, from a $2600 level, i presume.
and if i would be dropping a top coin on the top tier .308 - it would be with a 20" barrel.
Was at the Sig Experience Center today fondling the 716s and am very much in love. $1550. I already have a POF 308 and aAR17 but what the f***, amirite?

I've considered both the DDM5 and Rec7, both I bet are really sweet.

What bugs me is I can maintain my (proven extremely reliable) Aero reciever based models on my own, upgrade parts with a plethora of options, stock spare parts, etc etc - in the realm of gun bans I think you want a maintainable platform and not a proprietary rifle (even if supported by the manufacturer).

Buy em to own really nice stuff, not cause of a ban fear IMO.

I have a DPMS AR-10, never had any issues with it with upwards of 2K rounds through it. Nice weapon but a bit on the heavy side. A rocking good time though! I got mine about 5 years ago, I expect they are a bit more expensive now.
I had to have the original AR10. Upgraded to a T model with the long SS barrel.

Don't want to start a new thread over this but I guess it might be time to increase my mag supply. I have not bought in several years. So what's the best place these days to pick up some AR -10 and AR - 15, 20 round mags?
just to be clear - for ar10 there are 10rd steel mags that are in fact 20rd mags with a bolt in the middle - a potentially removable bolt, if desired. look it up.
those 10rd mags are not expensive and are shippable here.

I've considered both the DDM5 and Rec7, both I bet are really sweet.

What bugs me is I can maintain my (proven extremely reliable) Aero reciever based models on my own, upgrade parts with a plethora of options, stock spare parts, etc etc - in the realm of gun bans I think you want a maintainable platform and not a proprietary rifle (even if supported by the manufacturer).

Buy em to own really nice stuff, not cause of a ban fear IMO.
my take also as i have all the aero m5 lowers now, and, lets say, multiple :) uppers some assembled and some not.
assembled now are one in 6.5CM and one in 308 20'. as long as it all rotates, uses same bolts, same uppers and lowers - it is nice. 2 is 1, etc.

if i would buy into DD - i would probably start collecting their builds, and it would cost quite a bit more. but if the talk here about one and only good ar10 - why not DD, it is a good build.

Leave it to the Republicant to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory ! If this passes with Republicant help, I’m staying home from now on .
Theyre not snatching anything, theyre voting in their best interest. Theres more in it for them to vote for it than against it. Its as simple as that. Also, imo part of it is that we seem to be in the beginning stages of a 200 year societal trainwreck, so theyre all trying to limit the amount of plebs running around with rifles.

People need to rid themselves of the notion that theyre being represented.

I especially like how they defined stocks… Mostly because of their obsession with bumpfire stocks that they don’t even know what they are.

I don’t have the text in front of me but it’s collapsible, blah blah blah. But then they throw in removable. Any stock could be removed..

What they are getting at is they want you to have a fixed stock. Not pinned… Then 10 years down the road they would redefine that to mean something even more stupid then they originally meant.

just to be clear - for ar10 there are 10rd steel mags that are in fact 20rd mags with a bolt in the middle - a potentially removable bolt, if desired. look it up.
those 10rd mags are not expensive and are shippable here.
I live in NH, I would be looking to mail order say 5 of each, steel 20 rd. Just looking for a good place to order from. I have heard mixed opinions on cheaper than dirt here, is there a known reputable place that is preferred? Or better yet, does anyone have any to sell? Would be happy to buy from a fellow NES person.

View attachment 644461

Me walking into my FFL to buy scary guns this morning
I live in NH, I would be looking to mail order say 5 of each, steel 20 rd. Just looking for a good place to order from. I have heard mixed opinions on cheaper than dirt here, is there a known reputable place that is preferred? Or better yet, does anyone have any to sell? Would be happy to buy from a fellow NES person.
Try joeboboutfitter

AR10 has B and A type where some take FAL or M1A style mags (B) and others like DPMS or KAC take SR25/PMAGs (A). Most modern AR10s now take the (A) DPMS/KAC/PMAG style mags. I’d look on places like Brownells or Primary Arms. Magpul makes a sweet 25rd PMAG in 7.62

Haha no. It's not passing the senate.

The last gun package barely passed the senate and was nearly a nothing burger. That was the limit of what Republicans would "give up" - bad, sure, but now they are going to roll over for a full scale awb? No, extremely unlikely - or put it this way, as unlikely as say we get hit with a Russian nuke tonight.

Down the road, if we see a truly blue controlled federal government (ie not a 50/50 senate with a couple conservative democrats to boot) - the risk of this kinda thing is real. Today, no.
Hell, even when they had both houses and Obama in the oval, they just circle jerked spending money. Didn't do some kind of immigration reform, no gun laws (that I remember), and just spent money to the point sailors were embarrassed.

Agree - Aero M5s are good to go out of the box. Have 4 of them. All the parts work well.

Suggestions for the other guy..

Eventually an adjustable gas block is nice to have on AR10-ish things. My M5s were all super reliable out of the gate but one became over gassed and occasionally started producing a bad-luck-bounce-back-in sorta jam at about 3000 rounds. Solved via heavy buffer spring (sprinco orange) then later I went to a JP adjustable block, a criterion barrel, and stock Aero buffer spring - it purrs and is very accurate.

Don't overlook a 16 inch AR10ish carbine with a small/light optic or irons. It's nice having all that power in a small form - they are heavy, doesn't take much beyond a 16 inch barrel to end up with what is only good as a bench rifle. It's eye opening what .308/7.62nato does to concrete compared to say 5.56 or 7.62 Russian.

Aero barrels work fine but are hit or miss accuracy wise and my gut is they don't wear well. I've got a melonite 20 inch 5R .308 barrel on one from them that's absolutely < 1 MOA, a great barrel, but that's an exception, possibly something low production they put extra effort into, and not a high round count blaster. Other 5.56 and .308 barrels not so good, and worse with wear. I used a BA/Aero barrel for an AR9, a non consideration for that, but never pick them for anything else I assemble - Faxon, Criterion, FN, others, all better options.
I agree on all points except on barrel rankings. Based on my own experience BA is the best of the barrel makers you mention- especially for BA's Premium Series which is the tier priced comparably to Criterion. Criterion is a very close second and I am running a couple of their barrels in my competition rifles. To me, FN is a solid utility level barrel and Faxon has had too many QC issues based on feedback from people I trust. Maybe they got their schmidt together, but I already have options I trust so why bother. IMHO, of course.

Sitting here drinking a beer after working OT and all I could see was tranny!!!
LOL 4Chan turned David Hogg into gun loving Daisy Hogg. Quite the 'trans'formation... [rofl]

1534975753710.jpg

I wouldn’t be surprised if this never even makes it to the floor of the Senate. The Dem’s are desperately trying to hold on to their 50/50 split. With both Kelly of Arizona and Hassan of NH on the bubble, making them come out in favor of an AWB might just be enough to push them out. I might be giving them more credit than I should, but I don’t think they are stupid enough to push through a law that will, in all probability, be rejected by the Supreme Court yet might result in them losing control of the Senate.

I still think it’s a misdirection to get people to ignore the much more dangerous HR 2814, which would repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.
Everything Maggie has done since she's been sent to DC leads me with no doubt that she will be in favor of this AWB.

Only 20 rd steel mag in 308 in stock is Promag which dont have the greatest rep afaik

I agree on all points except on barrel rankings. Based on my own experience BA is the best of the barrel makers you mention- especially for BA's Premium Series which is the tier priced comparably to Criterion. Criterion is a very close second and I am running a couple of their barrels in my competition rifles. To me, FN is a solid utility level barrel and Faxon has had too many QC issues based on feedback from people I trust. Maybe they got their schmidt together, but I already have options I trust so why bother. IMHO, of course.

The difference might be, that particular 5R Aero barrel I was saying is really good that came assembled with an M5 upper, is one of those premium jobs. Was only sold like that for a couple months. But some other barrels, which similarly came with uppers or were just standard Aero, I found they kinda suck. But maybe their premium series is really that.

I should go look specifically at BA harder, they have their own website as you know with a broader set of certain products available. I admitidly wrote them off based on standard Aero barrels, which I've been slowly upgrading - maybe I'll try a premium BA next time.

Thanks guys, JoeBobs look good!

Generally I buy my mags from gunmagwarehouse or primary arms. Gunmagwarehouse is really, as they sound, kinda the premier mag retailer - and if memory serves me they sell discounted 10 packs.

Magpul/Pmags are basically the standard good to go mag for about everything sold today. Provided they work in your rifle, and they work and are standard issue for my M5s and M&P 10, get a bunch of 20s and 25s. Last so many orders I bought these.

16592478103988684950430565751821.jpg

If this was to pass and someone has say 2 builds. One tested and now needs to be ef10’d. one not finished and 3 other lowers. All on 4473’s. Can those be finished? Or would those be banned?

Lol anyone whose been around the block no longer cares about that stuff anymore. It's meaningless in the bigger picture.

Back
Top Bottom