Hornady lnl Primer problem

The primer slide on my Hornady press is not going all the way forward. It stops about a 1/2 inch from where it's suppose to be over the primer punch.

I tried to push it farther forward with my finger but it just won't go. It's fairly clean around it. The spring that pulls it forward seems strong and this a new press.

I just filled the primer tube with 50 primers and don't really want to take it all apart.

Is there a easy way to fix this?

Bugs, not sure what is happening. You may have a primer stuck in there. I've had the slide get caught up when it's been dirty but it would always move forward with a little push. I don't think it's that hard to take apart. You can unscrew the primer tube or the piece that the tube is attached to- just be careful to stop the 50 primers from coming out all at once.

I took it all apart and cleaned the shell plate, primer body and primer punch.
Put it back together and the same thing happened. Even with out the primers and tapping it with a small hammer the primer body won't go forward.

Take it all apart again and this time spray the metal body of the primer body with Hornady one lube. Put it back together and the same thing happens again.

3rd time I take it apart and and slowly run the top of the primer body with out the spring on it against the base plate. It catches slightly against the base plate but it shows no sign of wear. The front of it is nicked from the primer punch and that wouldn't be the cause of the primer body sticking.

I going to calll Hornady and ask them for a new primer body and a reloading pillow to bang my head on.

4/25/2007

It was a bowed primer slide caused by the primer slide hitting the primer punch which also chipped the nose of the slide.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom