Home defense shotgun

Apologies if this topic has been covered 50 times already but I am originally from NH, and MA laws are making my head spin. I just received my Class A LTC 2 weeks ago and I bought a remington 870 for home defense. To be effective for home defense I would like to keep it loaded with a trigger lock. My wife is not thrilled to have a loaded (and locked) shotgun in the bedroom so I was considering keeping it unloaded with shells in a shell holder on the gun, and a trigger lock. Are one or both of these options legal or illegal? Thanks.

Don't use a trigger lock on a loaded gun. Period. Get a cable lock.

MA law allows you to store a firearm loaded or unloaded in the house in either a container or with a mechanical lock installed, so either one is legal.

Personally, I store my pump HD gun with the tube loaded and the slide locked on an empty chamber. Come game time, just hit the pump release, rack a round, and do what you need to do. I wouldn't ever store a shotgun with one in the tube. And NEVER put a trigger lock on a loaded gun... accident waiting to happen.

Ok, so having shells in a shell holder on the gun, and the gun not in a locked cabinet does not violate any ammo storage laws?

Back
Top Bottom