HOLDERNESS, NH, REOPENED!

Firewall99

RWVA Instructor
Holderness did, in fact sell out, as predicted. So we went back over to Pemi Fish & Game to re-examine the line location, and guess what?

We found a new, 145' line to use. So now Holderness preregistration has been reopened for 40 shooters!

If you previously couldn't get in, now's your chance to head on over to http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule.htm and sign up.

The "range fee" is actually a club membership. This club has it all and is a great place to shoot, whether it be pistol, rifle, shotgun, or cowboy. The rifle range has targets out to 600 yards, and the cowboy facilities are awesome.

See you there!

John

What is the expected student vs teacher ratio at this shoot? The last Appleseed I was at I had about 1-2 minutes of total 1:1 help and it was not exactly top notch... This will definitely be my last Appleseed regardless of outcome if it's something like 30+ students per teacher.

What is the expected student vs teacher ratio at this shoot? The last Appleseed I was at I had about 1-2 minutes of total 1:1 help and it was not exactly top notch... This will definitely be my last Appleseed regardless of outcome if it's something like 30+ students per teacher.

Doobie, the norm for an Appleseed is somewhere around 10-1.

Now, I'm disturbed to hear your comments, and expect a PM (all good).

Holderness is capping at 41 total (including memberships and donations), 37 presently and has 4 Instructors slated.

Harvard is capping about 107 (including the same as above), 95 presently and has 9 to 10 Instructors slated, waiting on answers from 2 more.

APPLESEED INSTRUCTOR-TO-STUDENT RATIO

Because Appleseed shoots their entire venue inventory every April 19th, on that weekend we are stretched to our maximum on our instructor-to-student ratio, and yet at Holderness we still will manage 10-to-1, which is reasonable.

On any other Appleseed weekend in NH, and there will be several more than those presently scheduled, you may expect an even HIGHER RATIO.

That being said, the students must bear part of the burden for getting the attention they need. If you need specific help, you gotta pipe up and make it known to an instructor. Don't just sit there in frustration. Life's too short for that.

I'll be instructing at Holderness. Doobie, I'd be honored if you would introduce yourself to me upon check-in.

The only students we've seen go away mad, and those can be counted on one hand, were those who for some reason simply would not even try to do what they were being taught.

This is why the very first item on our checklist for what to bring is a TEACHABLE ATTITUDE -- A WILLINGNESS TO LEARN AND IMPROVE. The military calls it Positive Mental Attitude. If one doesn't bring that, coming to an Appleseed is a waste of time and resources. It's not fair to you, it's not fair to your fellow shooters, and it's not fair to us.

If you do bring the right head, we'll teach you how to put a round in a 20" target at 500 yds. in two days. No foolin'!

John Barnes
Appleseed Instructor & Range Safety Officer
NH State Coordinator
888-221-8628
[email protected]

10-1 should be good, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't again going to be 20/30-1 ratio. I didn't mean to sound like it was absolutely horrible, I mean I do think I learned a bit at the first one I went to, but I don't feel a number of my mistakes were pointed out and might have been better at pointing out. I do look forward to the event.

Do I need to register with anyone regarding camping at the site?

I need to remember to put a sling on my rifle :)

The club, Pemi Fish & Game, changed their mind on allowing camping this early in the season. It's still 30 degrees up here, you know!

There should be camping for later shoots, however.

Do you know where there is a local campsite/public land I can camp on? Otherwise can I get a credit for a future appleseed?

I found a super-basic 10/22 that is destined to be a camping rifle once it grows up, but it doesn't have the attachment points for a sling. Is this easy to remedy, or should I bring out the fancy-schmancy target model we have? I see no reason to learn how to drive with a Corvette. :D

I'll have my trusty AR, so I'll have that for Sunday if not for more.

I found a super-basic 10/22 that is destined to be a camping rifle once it grows up, but it doesn't have the attachment points for a sling. Is this easy to remedy, or should I bring out the fancy-schmancy target model we have? I see no reason to learn how to drive with a Corvette. :D

I'll have my trusty AR, so I'll have that for Sunday if not for more.

Bring them all. We should still have some studs and slings left to sell you for your basic model, if they're not sold out on Saturday.

No need for a campground/place to crash, my cat is now on medication for the next week and I have to go home Saturday night. I may or may not return Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom