• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HK USP 9 Now Available in MA

Buy a used one on the cheap. Problem is they retain value so its still gonna cost you $650+.

Please either talk me into getting it or talk me out of it.

Who has experience with USP 9?

I've owned most of the series....

Pros:
-accurate
-reliable
-lowest dud/lemon rate of any mass produced polymer handgun
-for a plastic handgun, it looks awesome

Cons:
-high bore axis (although in 9mm doesn't matter so much)
-Expensive
-Parts sometimes a bitch to come by - and almost no aftermarket parts except wolff springs and replacement sights.
-DA trigger is pure shit, can be improved into being slightly less shitty, but thats about it.
-It's ****ing gigantic, its school bus class like a Sig
-mag release is in an awkward/bad place for some shooters.

I have one pre 1998. My first pistol. Love it. Now it's not as unique becuase now it's ma compliant....ddaaahhh

Personally I'd skip it and go for one of the FAR more ergonomic options (P2000, P30, VP9). The USP feels like a brick; solid, but not pleasant.

They're made for people with large hands who like aggressive texturing. If that's you and you decide the USP is the pistol you want, go for the match lem trigger. IMHO, it's one of the best hammer fired trigger systems around. If that's not you, that's why they made the USP compact. The P30 or Vp9 are the best choices if you're interested in amazing grips.

I have large hands and like aggressive texturing.

And I don't like the USP.

I think its terrible in all trigger variants other than the LEM trigger version.

Just my .02. I'm a traditionalist. I like Glocks and 1911s.

Don

Well, the time to buy was Dec/Jan when they had $200 rebates. You could have gotten an HK45 or 45c for less than $800 back then, which has both better ergonomics and USP features like ability to change to LEM trigger, and a decocking lever (instead of the weird switch that P30/P2000 has).

I think there are better guns for $800, maybe better guns for $600. I'd get a P30 or HK45 if you want to stick with HK, or at least get the USPc which is smaller and more concealable. Not MA compliant yet though.

By the way, all kidding aside. If you want an HK, then get an HK. But don't try to delude yourself that its functionally superior to its much less expensive Austrian cousin.

You have to like a gun. If the Glock does nothing for you, thats fine. But lets not confuse emotion for logic.

I'm not demeaning in any way. I have plenty of guns that make absolutely no sense.

Don

By the way, all kidding aside. If you want an HK, then get an HK. But don't try to delude yourself that its functionally superior to its much less expensive Austrian cousin.

You have to like a gun. If the Glock does nothing for you, thats fine. But lets not confuse emotion for logic.

I'm not demeaning in any way. I have plenty of guns that make absolutely no sense.

Don

Wrong thread, Don. :)

given other options for a DA/SA hammer gun (e.g. P30, P30L, P226, 92F/G, CZ75), I just don't see a purpose for the USP anymore.....i've got nothing against them but i can't justify dropping that type of $$ on a USP.

Back
Top Bottom