High and to the left...

Fooped

Resident HK Guru
Hey Everyone,

I went shooting on Sunday with my wife and I noticed something a bit odd:

I brought two of my HK pistols, a USP .45 full size and my HK P9S 9mm. I was shooting at about 40-50 feet and noticed that the P9S was shooting high and to the left with alarming frequency. Most all of the shots were on paper (standard NRA slow-fire 50 ft target), and all were clustered in a 4" or so group at the top left hand corner of the paper.

I figured that maybe it was me, so I shot two or three more targets, all with similar results. I was shooting Remington UMC factory ammo. I then switched to my USP .45, and lo and behold the shots are landing point of aim in the black (with the occasional flyer of course [grin]).

My grip and trigger squeeze are the same for both pistols (as best as I can anyways), and I never noticed that the P9S was doing this until that day. The sights are not adjustable.

Any thoughts/corrections/suggestions?

Thanks for reading!

Hey Everyone,

I went shooting on Sunday with my wife and I noticed something a bit odd:

I brought two of my HK pistols, a USP .45 full size and my HK P9S 9mm. I was shooting at about 40-50 feet and noticed that the P9S was shooting high and to the left with alarming frequency. Most all of the shots were on paper (standard NRA slow-fire 50 ft target), and all were clustered in a 4" or so group at the top left hand corner of the paper.

I figured that maybe it was me, so I shot two or three more targets, all with similar results. I was shooting Remington UMC factory ammo. I then switched to my USP .45, and lo and behold the shots are landing point of aim in the black (with the occasional flyer of course [grin]).

My grip and trigger squeeze are the same for both pistols (as best as I can anyways), and I never noticed that the P9S was doing this until that day. The sights are not adjustable.

Any thoughts/corrections/suggestions?

Thanks for reading!

Have someone else shoot it. See if that person has the same problem! It may be best not to worn the other "tester" about the potential problem. Also did you try shooting from bench rest?

It may also be useful to borrow the same gun from someone else and see if the same problem occurs. Then maybe you can conclude that it is the pistol and you could try contacting HK for suggestions on how to fix the problem.

AIG

It may also be useful to borrow the same gun from someone else and see if the same problem occurs. Then maybe you can conclude that it is the pistol and you could try contacting HK for suggestions on how to fix the problem.

AIG

Thanks for the suggestion. Borrowing another P9S is almost impossible as they are extremely rare (almost unheard of in the Commie-Wealth [angry]).

I will have someone else shoot it next time I'm out with my shooting buddies.

I'd bench rest it first, and see if anything changes.

You could also try pulling the targets in to 15 feet, then out to 30, then to 45 and see if you get a progressive growth in the error. With fixed sights, and shot "perfectly" it will only shoot point of aim at one distance, you'll need to figure out what that distance is so you can learn how to then compensate at other distances.

Try different ammo and bullet weights, for starters. Bring the target
in close, 25 feet or less. Get something to use as a rest. You would
be surprised in some cases how big the difference can be.... I
mean most of the time, most ammo lands in the same ballpark but
I've seen weird shit where one bullet weight decided it was going
to do something strange with a particular gun, even at 25
feet.

-Mike

Are you sure that the P9S does not have a drift adjustable rear sight? Found some pics of them and it looked that way.[thinking]

You could also try pulling the targets in to 15 feet, then out to 30, then to 45 and see if you get a progressive growth in the error. With fixed sights, and shot "perfectly" it will only shoot point of aim at one distance, you'll need to figure out what that distance is so you can learn how to then compensate at other distances.

I second this.

Many handguns are "regulated" or "targeted" at the factory to shoot within a given group size at a given distance. This distance is usually 25 yards or meters. And it only applies to a given weight and velocity of ammo.

Also, many companies use a Bullseye (6 o'clock) sight picture.
If you shoot point of aim, point of impact, you will shoot high at the targeted distance.

I had a similar problem with my Sig 220. It shot way left out of the box, and high (IIRC). The front sight was out of spec and the rear sight was 3/64ths off. Took care of those two problems and now it shoots ALMOST as well as my Glocks.

Good Luck!

I have that problem sometimes, and part of it seems to be from too much pressure from the lower fingers on my right hand (pinky in particular) on the grip. Jim Conway had me using a golf-type grip with my pinkies intertwined, which helped identify the problem and train me to loosen up with my grip.

Point being that maybe the smaller grip on the P9S causes you to grip differently with those fingers.

Are you free on Saturday? I believe there's space for the clinic NEShooters is putting on in Mansfield, and I'll bet they could cure you of all your ills there.

Was it the UMC in the yellow boxes? If it was, it's not the best ammo in the world for use. I try to avoid it if I can - just too dirty. A friend was using this stuff in a .40 cal. Glock and was shooting over to the left. I shot the pistol and the same thing was happening. We swapped the ammo back to Federal and the pistol started shooting out the center of the target. It could be that your P9S just doesn't like the stuff...

Joe R.

Shooters Wheel

This might help. Good luck!

shooterswheel.jpg

Back
Top Bottom