Henry Golden Boy .22

ntomsw

Banned
Anyone here have 1 of these? I am wanting to get one, but was wondering if anyone had one here, and what they thought, how it functions, how it holds up etc etc etc. Photos are welcome as well.

I want a levergun 22, and these just looks so nice, and there is something about those octagon barrels that I love. So, let's hear it.

I don't have the Golden Boy but I do have the standard Henry .22, and I can say that it's pretty damn sweet. Action is very smooth, very high quality, great fit/finish, and 100% made in the US.

I don't have the Golden Boy but I do have the standard Henry .22, and I can say that it's pretty damn sweet. Action is very smooth, very high quality, great fit/finish, and 100% made in the US.

That is what I like the most.

I have heard from others that their fit & finish is some of the nicest in the business. How long have you had yours, and does it hold up year after year?

I got one before.. I loved it, but I make a wrong decision to sold it. Still feeling the pain of my action. I would buy one again.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

I am definitely buying the Skinner Sights when & if I buy one. I love the looks of those things. Especially the black & gold sight. Would look very nice on top of that.

I never fired a Golden Boy, but I do have an H001 model, which is the smoothest lever action .22 I own, and I own lot of them including Brownings, Winchesters and Ithacas.
In fact, I just acquired a really sweet Marlin 39A this weekend (1971 vintage) and it's still not as smooth as the Henry.

I don't have 6,000 rounds through my standard model (H001) like SkuaSeptember, but it is an awesome shooter. Before I bought it I watched Brandon401401's review where he described the action as being so smooth it feels like there are no moving parts inside. I expect one day I'll add the GoldenBoy to my collection.

Mine's too new to answer any of your questions, but I love it. If I ever lost it in a boating accident, I'd replace it or upgrade to the GoldenBoy at my first opportunity.

I've seen some comments online that the brass on the receiver (which makes the Golden Boy golden) is pretty soft, and scratches easily. For hard use, it may not retain it's pretty appearance.

Zappa, would you say its even smoother than the short stroke of a BL-22?

It's totally a different kind of feel than the Browning.
Being such a short stroke, the BL-22 is a quick "snick-snick", the feel isn't really a linear motion throughout the cycle.
If you cycle the action slowly you'll feel the difference.
I love the Browning, and for really fast action shooting, it's the very best lever gun out there, and quite a different feel than the Henry.
The Henry feels seems to require the same amount of effort throughout 90% of the stroke, after the initial recocking of the hammer, and there are no points in the stoke where it drags or stalls requiring increased effort.
In this regard, a Winchester 94 is outright crude in comparison.

I have one, Its probably one of my favorite guns to shoot. The action is really smooth.
If you want to shoot it some time I can meet you at Harvard. It won't be for a few weeks though my schedule is crazy for the next 21 days

-Peter

I have an Icatha Model 72 Saddle Gun. The story I was told was that it was designed by the guy who later started the Henry company, and is identical to the Henry models. Not sure of the accuracy of the story, but the price was right, and it is the .22 that I shoot the best (of the 4 .22 rifles I own). It is definitely one of my favorites. With Iron sights, I can shoot accurately out to 100 yards no problem, and it is crazy fun to shoot. I occasionally get a light primer strike with the various bulk Wal Mark ammo I shoot through it, but other than that it is fantastic.

I finally got to put a few hundred rounds through the Marlin 39A last weekend. (1971 vintage)
The Lyman peep sight was way off and needed some adjustments.
Wow that front sight it tiny!
I really had a hard time seeing it through the peep sight, even with my glasses on. [wink]
Seriously, I had a real hard time focusing on it.
I'm used to shooting 16-18" barreled rifles, on the 24 incher that front sight looks so far away.

Made in the USA, excellent customer service, and they're made like they used to back in the day. That being said, I don't own one but I know my dad will be buying one soon. He's a fossil so he's into the older type lever guns. If I get a chance to shoot it, I'll PM you and let you know. What's the going price for one of these anyway? I saw one at Dicks in Concord NH while buying my Benelli but I didn't see a price.

Back
Top Bottom