Help With My 3rd Shot

While shooting today at the range, I managed the following string:

33eotox.jpg

Here are the details: Savage Model 11, .308. shooting 150 grain Winchester SuperX rounds. Target was at 150 yards, steady 10MPH wind left to right.

I was happy with the first two rounds but the third shot seemed to be a bit of a flyer (top hole).

Every time I'm shooting, I can place the first two fairly well but the third is usually off by a bit.

Any suggestions? Could this be caused by a hotter barrel?

Thanks in advance for any advice ... this is driving me crazy.

If you shoot several strings in a row all with the same results then the barrel should already be up to whatever temperature that is going to affect you. If that's the case then the problem is psychological. For whatever reason you are maybe focusing too hard, getting mentally fatigued or distracted.

What else is happening when this occurs? Are you feeling any pain/discomfort/distractions from something else that is going on?

Last time I went shooting I had several problems that contributed to my lousy shooting. I couldn’t get comfortable on the bench. My shooting glasses would fog up right in mid-string. I had about 50 rounds to chrony and daylight was quickly fading so I was distracted by the proverbial clock. Mosquitoes were driving me nuts. They all added up to a not so productive range trip.

So next time you are at the range, REALLY stop to think about what is going on. You just might find that you know what the problem is.

Just shoot 2 rounds then put the rifle up for a bit and do something else - don't ever shoot the third round under any circumstances!!!

Just shoot 2 rounds then put the rifle up for a bit and do something else - don't ever shoot the third round under any circumstances!!!

Reminds me of a wise saying from my laboratory days ... "If reproducibility is a problem, perform the test only once". [wink]

Interesting, I've had the same problem myself, but I don't get to the range often enough to work on my basics, so I chalk it up to lack of practice.

Curious to see what you find to help you out.

Wow,when you went up to look at your target you found that quarter and an unfired cartridge.Somehow I think you are not really that upset with that group shot at 150 yds.lol

Wow,when you went up to look at your target you found that quarter and an unfired cartridge.Somehow I think you are not really that upset with that group shot at 150 yds.lol

Nah, the quarter is only for scale. I took the pic when I got home and that cartridge was lying on my kitchen island.

I'm not upset with the group, but my holy grail is repeatability at 150 yards. I've been trying like hell but I can't shoot 3 shots and end up with all three holes touching.

One of the things I've done lately is wear a set of earplugs with ear muffs over them to reduce outside sound, plus the usual breath control, etc.

Perhaps I'll try a better rest. I forgot my Caldwell adjustable and used a couple of blocks of wood with some carpet over it. Might use something to rest the buttstock on too ... I was holding it up by hand.

Asking for benchrest type groups from that rifle and that ammo is asking a bit much.
Having said that, that is a darn good group, all things considered.

Back
Top Bottom