help with a 22 pistol question in MA

Hi all
I hope posting this in the general section is OK

I just got my LTC in Ma and I wish to target shoot with my son. I am starting with 22 caliper only.
I was looking a Ruger mark III and Browning Buck Marks but i now understand they are not legal in MA.

Can someone tell me what 22 pistol most people use for target practice and competition shooting in this State
thanks for helping a neophyte.
Mark

Mark, you can buy a used Ruger Mark III face-to-face in Mass. The gun shops can't sell new ones, because they're not on the Massachusetts "list".

There's someone (or had been someone) with a Mark III in the NES classifieds. For competition, people shoot whatever they're accurate with. Some do well with Rugers, some with S&W Model 41, some with even higher-end.

Have fun, good luck shopping!

Mark, you can buy a used Ruger Mark III face-to-face in Mass. The gun shops can't sell new ones, because they're not on the Massachusetts "list".

There's someone (or had been someone) with a Mark III in the NES classifieds. For competition, people shoot whatever they're accurate with. Some do well with Rugers, some with S&W Model 41, some with even higher-end.

Have fun, good luck shopping!

right, but this does not make a firearm "illegal". just not on the arbitrary list.

OP: there's always the SR22. they are neat little guns.

If you are just looking for a fun handgun for some range work then I would go with the Ruger Sr22.

If you are looking for a target/competition pistol I would go with the mk.III, and like atilla said they are perfectly legal

You might also consider a Ruger SR22 pistol. From what I understand, the SR22 takedown process is significantly easier than that of the MkI/II/III series. I have disassembled an SR22 and it was just as easy as disassembling a Glock or similar polymer semi-auto.
I imagine the MkIII might be a better choice for competition, being a more traditional choice, and heavier.
But the SR22 is a nice shooter.

Can't go wrong with any of the choices mentioned.

Also, probably just a typo but I got a good chuckle out of "22 caliper" [smile]

Firstly, congratulations on your LTC and welcome to the forum.

(I am not a lawyer) Secondly, both of the guns you mentioned are perfectly legal to own. Have you been told something different? If so, by whom? I'm sure in a few minutes, many will be along to tell you that this topic has been covered many times on this forum. They will be right, and it has. They will tell you to check the Forum - General - Gun Laws - MA Laws section (you should) and the Stickies (you should). There is a wealth of information here, but the simple answer to the question you didn't ask, is that virtually all handguns are legal to possess in MA. The laws people refer to when they discuss whether a handgun is "MA Compliant" only affect what the dealer can sell, not what you can possess. Do a little reading and follow some links to the MGLs and other places and you will be rewarded with reading the info from the source and being able cite chapter and section the next time someone tells you something is "illegal."

Lastly, to answer the question you did ask, I use a Walther P22 for target sometimes. As for competition, I don't compete. If you're really looking for either of the guns you mentioned, I suggest you go "Green" (become a full member) and buy one from another member through a face-to-face transaction.

Good Luck and Happy Reading!

As others have recommended the Ruger SR22 is currently one of the best .22 pistols available that also happens to be MA approved. What makes them superior to others like the Sig Mosquito is that they are not finicky at all with ammo, like other semi auto .22s are. Most require the use of mini-mags, or similar to get them to cycle reliably. If your goal is to get into competition shooting, though, the SR22 might not be your best option as it is designed to feel like a carry type gun with a shorter barrel so they are more meant for close range practice, rather than bullseye type shooting like you would use a longer barreled gun for. For the price, though, you may want to buy the SR22 anyway, since it will still make a nice range practice gun for cheap shooting.

mt2020:

Welcome

Now, join a club. This way, you will have a place to shoot, brains to pick, and guns to try.

A long-time friend finally saw the light, and got Licensed. He joined my club, and I was able to provide him with no info about target pistols other than, "Talk to these guys" [laugh]. Our club has a team where all are welcome, and, from what he tells me, he's getting better at hitting the little black circle.

Part of shooting well is fit, both physical and mental, between you and the gun. None of the suggestions are bad, IMO, but "best" is another thing.

Now....if you want to break clays, let me know. [laugh]

As others have recommended the Ruger SR22 is currently one of the best .22 pistols available that also happens to be MA approved. What makes them superior to others like the Sig Mosquito is that they are not finicky at all with ammo, like other semi auto .22s are. Most require the use of mini-mags, or similar to get them to cycle reliably. If your goal is to get into competition shooting, though, the SR22 might not be your best option as it is designed to feel like a carry type gun with a shorter barrel so they are more meant for close range practice, rather than bullseye type shooting like you would use a longer barreled gun for. For the price, though, you may want to buy the SR22 anyway, since it will still make a nice range practice gun for cheap shooting.

+1

I have an SR22 and would recommend it.

This. And you should definitely try some of these guns out before you choose one. I don't know where you are located but you should be able to find a range somewhat close to you where you can rent some of these to try out. Also, go Green and talk with other NES members and you may be able to find someone local to let you try theirs

Obviously by my post count I am new too. My wife has a M&P40 and we are looking at a 22, if she found a used M&P22 all we would have to do is fill out the FA10 on-line and she would be good to go?

Thanks,

Craig (LTC-A applied for and waiting)

Last edited:
thanks

I am trying to join a gun club. I am hoping Fur fin an Feather in Millis accepts me. and yes clays are on the list to do. I am thinking of a 20gal for both me and my son.

I have talked to Bass pro shops and Four Seasons in Woburn they both tell me the Ruger mkIII is not "on the list"

You all know Ma does not make it easy!!

Thanks to everyone I think I am going have to figure out how to by a used gun that was/ is on the list.

Thanks again

Mark

Last edited:
I ended up with the SR22 as well. It pretty much shoots anything. The only batch I had trouble with was the Federal Target from WallyWorld, where it was not feeding every 25 or so. In comparison, the ISSC and Mosquito seemed to be more finicky. (both stovepiped at least once as I was watching).

I picked up the SR22 because of the online reviews and the looks. As my first firearm, I wanted something that resembled my next gun. Cleaning/takedown is pretty easy.

As for accuracy, it's pretty good to this newb. I was quite pleased with myself when I hit the little steel pig on the plinking range. Can't speak to whether or not it is worthy of competition though.

I, too, want to introduce my kid to the shooting world. But I am leaning towards starting with a rifle. However, I can't decide between a 10/22, mp15-22, bolt action, or lever. Each is obviously different. I want tacticool, but also appreciate the more user-involved actions.

Obviously by my post count I am new too. My wife has a M&P40 and we are looking at a 22, if she found a used M&P22 all we would have to do is fill out the FA10 on-line and she would be good to go?

Thanks,

Craig (LTC-A applied for and waiting)

Are you referring to a used M&P22 in a store, or private sale? If it is in a store, they will file the paperwork, and she will have to fill out the 4473 for the NICS check, but that's it. If it is a private sale, the person she is buying it from would do the E-FA10 transferring ownership to her. She doesn't have to do it again.

I am trying to join a gun club. I am hoping Fur fin an Feather in Millis accepts me. and yes clays are on the list to do. I am thinking of a 20gal for both me and my son.

I have talked to Bass pro shops and Four Seasons in Woburn they both tell me the Ruger mkIII is not "on the list"

Thanks to everyone I think I am going have to figure out how to by a used gun that was/ is on the list.

Thanks again

Mark

FFF is a good club from what I know.

For clays, go 12 ga. It's easier. FFF Has a strong Trap program for the Kiddies, too.

Are you referring to a used M&P22 in a store, or private sale? If it is in a store, they will file the paperwork, and she will have to fill out the 4473 for the NICS check, but that's it. If it is a private sale, the person she is buying it from would do the E-FA10 transferring ownership to her. She doesn't have to do it again.

Private I assume because it never has been on the roster, but it would have to be from a Mass resident?

Thanks again

Mark

A dealer can only sell/transfer what's on the list. Many dealers say "That's not legal in MA" but what they really mean is "I can't sell you that". If you buy from a person you can get whatever you want as long as you're both properly licensed. For FTF (face-to-face) there is no "list". You just transfer it via FA-10 or E-FA-10, hand over a stack of greenbacks, shake hands and take home your bounty.

I second the MKIII and I've never shot an SR-22 but I have heard nothing but good things about it. My P-22 can be finicky at times, but when it's running well it's fun as hell. IMHO you can't go wrong with a Ruger.

I ended up with the SR22 as well. It pretty much shoots anything. The only batch I had trouble with was the Federal Target from WallyWorld, where it was not feeding every 25 or so. In comparison, the ISSC and Mosquito seemed to be more finicky. (both stovepiped at least once as I was watching).

I picked up the SR22 because of the online reviews and the looks. As my first firearm, I wanted something that resembled my next gun. Cleaning/takedown is pretty easy.

As for accuracy, it's pretty good to this newb. I was quite pleased with myself when I hit the little steel pig on the plinking range. Can't speak to whether or not it is worthy of competition though.

I, too, want to introduce my kid to the shooting world. But I am leaning towards starting with a rifle. However, I can't decide between a 10/22, mp15-22, bolt action, or lever. Each is obviously different. I want tacticool, but also appreciate the more user-involved actions.

Any of those rifle choices are good, but the 10/22, and 15-22 seem to be the most popular, and the choice will depend mainly on what you want out of it. If you eventually plan to have an AR-15, then you might be best to go with the 15-22 since the controls are identical, so it makes a great trainer. I went this route myself and have zero regrets with the M&P. I plan to eventually pick up a takedown version of the 10/22 also, just for the cool factor and you can never have too many .22 range toys!

- - - Updated - - -

Private I assume because it never has been on the roster, but it would have to be from a Mass resident?

Correct. Handguns can not be transferred privately unless they are in the same state.

What a great forum and thanks to everyone. It's nice to know there is a community out there. I remember when I was 14yrs old, a long time ago living NOT IN MA, going to the sporting goods store and buying a 22 rifle with my Dad no lic. no paperwork. Times have changed.

I look forward to re-entering the community of gun enthusiasts. will continue to review the posts learn the "system" and check out the classified. Thanks all

Mark

You cant go wrong with any of the Ruger 22 caliber guns, either pistol or rifle. I have a mark III target and a few 10/22's. very reliable, lots of accessories for them and relatively affordable.

I have the SR.22 and it is great pistol. One of these days I will get a Mark 3 for target. I too have heard they are no longer Ma. compliant because they failed a drop test, but that they are correcting the matter. On my list also is a Henry pump action .22 or an earlier Rossi or Taurus.

Look for a Smith & Wesson 22A. Here's a dirty little secret -- the barrels for the 22A are made on the same machinery as the barrels for the model 41 series. Two years ago when I was looking for a rimfire pistol, the Smith 22A models were starting at about $325.

- Brad

If you are just looking for a fun handgun for some range work then I would go with the Ruger Sr22.

If you are looking for a target/competition pistol I would go with the mk.III, and like atilla said they are perfectly legal

I have to disagree with this. I've shot the SR22 and its not terribly accurate. Also the trigger kindof sucks.

The MkIII or even better, MKII has a much better trigger and greater practical accuracy. They are not difficult to disassemble once you get the hang of it. Especially the MkII.

In my mind, the MK pistols and the SR22 aren't even in the same league. The SR22 is a toy. The MK pistols are something you will pass down to your children.

re rifles:
The 10/22 is a classic and can be modified into something pretty amazing. The M&P15/22 is the best of the fake AR 22s. One thing to check on , if this craziness ever subsides is that CMMG makes a .22 cal AR that is a REAL ar for only about $550 (pre panic). It uses real ar parts. The only thing different from a .223 AR is the bbl and bolt.

One way the M&P15/22 is superior to the CMMG is if you want to teach a child to shoot and would like to familiarize them with the AR control layout. The S&W is much lighter than the CMMG.

Don

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom