help me buy a 1903 Springfield to shoot

rep308

NES Member
I've made the decision to buy a 1903 Springfield Bolt action 30-06 and have read the threads posted here. I'm looking for a shooter for a fun day at the range, not an investment piece. Here are some of the things I'm looking for, please feel free to add any or correct me:

1) I want a shooter and don't care about collect-ability, max price $1000
2) I don't want anything sporterized or anything restored or god forbid a reproduction
3) I don't care about the model, but I'm concerned about low number receivers I can't shoot
4) should I be concerned about WWII two groove barrels on some A3 barrels?
5) It appears that the A3 models are the most abundant and cheapest
6) As much as I'd like a scoped model, most snipers seem to be too expensive or faked
7) Matching serial numbers would be nice, but so would a replaced nice bright bore from a replacement barrel
8) Should I care one way or another about rifles cut for a Peterson device, I want to shoot it bolt.
9) Please educate me about National Match models, are they considered sporterized?

Thank you in advance for advice, any vendor suggestions would be welcome. I hate bidding on gunbroker.com

1) I want a shooter and don't care about collect-ability, max price $1000

- You will be able to find what you want with that budget
2) I don't want anything sporterized or anything restored or god forbid a reproduction

- Most non sporters will be rearsenaled at a US Military facility. Stay away from reclaimed drill rifles (welding/grinding near cut-off switch is a dead giveaway), or receivers with Nat Ord, or Santa Fe

3) I don't care about the model, but I'm concerned about low number receivers I can't shoot

- These would be early Springfields with serial numbers under 800,000, or Rock Islands with serial numbers under 320,000.

4) should I be concerned about WWII two groove barrels on some A3 barrels?

- No.

5) It appears that the A3 models are the most abundant and cheapest

- Yes.

6) As much as I'd like a scoped model, most snipers seem to be too expensive or faked

- Correct

7) Matching serial numbers would be nice, but so would a replaced nice bright bore from a replacement barrel.

- There will be only one serial number on the gun. Small parts will be marked with manufacturer on Remington models. Barrel date should match within a month or two of the serial number, following the links on this site.

Vi Shooter's M1903 Page

8) Should I care one way or another about rifles cut for a Peterson device, I want to shoot it bolt.

- These will all have the Double Heat Treated receivers, and will be safe to shoot. Can be rather expensive for no advantage if you're looking for a shooter.

9) Please educate me about National Match models, are they considered sporterized?

- No personal experience with National Match, except that I see they can also be expensive.

Also, a bore gauge will be your friend when looking for a good shooter. Good luck!

You will be able to find a nice original '03A3 in your price range. I recently bought a nice 1943 Remington for $700 off Gunbroker. It is a blast to shoot. PM to follow.

You might want to look into one of these if you only want a shooter and don't care about collectability or anything.Shipping Rifles : 1903 A3 Rifle Armory Refinished

They seem like they are essentially brand new rifles, but I don't know much about them. Might be worth calling them to get more details on them.

God those looks horrible. What is the bright silver finish?

I had an A3. It was a fine rifle, but not very refined feeling with the parkerized finish. Many of these were quickly refinished during WWII and many saw little or no use. The aperture sight on the A3 is nice. Sold it for a few years ago for $500 I think, so a decent A3 should be well under $1000. The earlier rifles go for more money, and feel a little nicer, but don't make better shooters.

Try to get into pack and postal I'm sure he has several 1903 variants to choose from.
Personally I like the A3 with the "C" style stock.. sometimes finding a sporter that's not to butchered up will give you what your looking for. I found a sporter and lucky enough the owner kept all the parts.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...f/131393-midnight-madness-1903a3-project.html

I have a reproduction A4 done by rock ridge machine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the A3......but I would buy a 1903 or A3 shooter in "correct" configuration first for the same money or less.

My project 03a3 with reloads will shoot close to 1 moa off the rest after some stock fitting.

Last edited:
God those looks horrible. What is the bright silver finish?

I had an A3. It was a fine rifle, but not very refined feeling with the parkerized finish. Many of these were quickly refinished during WWII and many saw little or no use. The aperture sight on the A3 is nice. Sold it for a few years ago for $500 I think, so a decent A3 should be well under $1000. The earlier rifles go for more money, and feel a little nicer, but don't make better shooters.

The bright finish I believe they are trying to reproduce the parkerized/ blued mix of parts that I think some rifles came out of the factory. I believe in the link martin08. Provided they show or describe what was parked and what was blued. These guns just have fresh new light colored parkerize job.

As for resurrected drill rifles....the debate is endless.

You could also find a a 03 that needs a barrel....this is my next project. I am gearing up to order barrel wrench tools and pull through dreamers to build out some project rifles.

Try to get into pack and postal I'm sure he has several 1903 variants to choose from.

IF you want several 1903's to choose from, IF you want to actually SEE the rifle before you buy it, IF you want to be sure that the rifle has been checked and accurately evaluated - this is the way to go. Call Pack and Postal and have a chat with Joe Dube.

You can get something well within that budget. My as issued 9/43 Remington 03A3 was $800 less than a year ago. I found it at the September Plymouth Gun show, gave it a good inspection, got the guys card, and asked him to hold it. I picked it up the following week. Shows can be expensive, but you can inspect and compare quality. Many of us go to the MA shows. Hook us with a NES buddy who can give you a spot education at a show, or come and visit one of us. "Inside the 495 belt" is about 40 minutes from me on the south shore. I have an 03, 03A3, M17, Garand, carbine, etc. I'd be happy to talk with you.

Actually I'd like the company after my surgery this Wednesday - I won't be getting out much for a while after that.

IF you want several 1903's to choose from, IF you want to actually SEE the rifle before you buy it, IF you want to be sure that the rifle has been checked and accurately evaluated - this is the way to go. Call Pack and Postal and have a chat with Joe Dube.

if you do get into pack and postal please ask to take some pics and post them here PLEASE also ask Mr Dube to become a dealer member here and start posting what he has for sale. I cant find his adds or auctions anywhere!

I got my 03A3 (and my M1 Carbine) off of the CMP forums. Very unusual prices are full retard, and as long as you're paying attention you can get a good deal. Otherwise, you'll tend to pay going rate without paying a dealer premium.

The downside is that you're probably never going to find an absolute steal simply because everyone there knows what is worth what.

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=89

Last edited:
if you do get into pack and postal please ask to take some pics and post them here PLEASE also ask Mr Dube to become a dealer member here and start posting what he has for sale. I cant find his adds or auctions anywhere!

Pack and Postal usually runs a multipage add in Gun Digest at least every other month. This month I think 4 pages. One of the only reasons I subscribe to that mag.

Back
Top Bottom