Have you ever flown to a training course?

I am thinking of taking a Larry Vickers course in the near future, which will be in North Carolina. For the guys who have flown to a training course before, any advice to give me?

Should I ship the ammo there or try to find a Walmart the day before the course? Any particular airlines I should avoid because you had a particularly difficult time checking in your firearm?

I have flown to many classes. Vickers runs a great course and will be worth while. I would definitely ship ammo as there is a good chance these days that you wont be able to find what you need or the quantity that you need locally.

Send it to your hotel in advance of your trip so you can track it and make sure it gets there. Always a good idea to carry your 11lb limit so you are guaranteed to have some on hand. Just be careful of the overweight limits as that cost big bucks. Weigh your luggage ahead of time and take multiple suitcases if needed--it will be cheaper than overweight fees.

I have never had a problem checking guns...just follow the rules. Lock the unloaded gun in a hard case. Ammo packed separately (11lbs or under) Ammo needs to be in boxes, preferably factory boxes. Declare at ticket counter.

Best service I have gotten has always been Southwest. No baggage fee also!

Enjoy your class!

Have your ammo drop shipped to your destination from an online ammo company. Get TSA approved locks for your gun case. Yes, you can use your own non-approved TSA locks on your gun case, but as one TSA agent informed me, if they can't get in it to inspect, they just cut them off. Take pictures of your guns/serial numbers in case they get stolen in transit.

This is technically illegal, which is the best kind of illegal.

Don't use locks other people can open without cutting. If they need to open it, they can do it when you check in.

+1 You should not put TSA locks on firearm cases!

TSA inspects all firearm cases at the ticket counter. Travelers should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation. If travelers are not present and the security officer must open the container, TSA or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact the owner. If contact is not made, the container will not be placed on the aircraft.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

Can I put my range bag into my suitcase and check the suitcase in? Or will powder residue set off alarms and cause my bag to be investigated/confiscated?

I've used one of my range bags as a carry-on bag several times. Even though it got swabbed a couple of times, there never was any issue. I guess that partially burned gun powder isn't one of the things they look for. Just make sure you don't have an empty case hidden in the folds somewhere.

Ken

If you want to use Walmart for ammo you can check if there is a local Walmart there well before the class. Call them and see if they will order and hold the ammo for you. Again follow up before you depart to make sure it is ready for your pickup on arrival.

Lots of good advice so far - make sure you check the specific rules of the airline you are flying - and print them out and bring them with you. I've ran into people who honestly didn't know you could fly with firearms and/or ammo period. I avoid any gun bullshit on my case. The locks should be good ones which only you can open/have the key for.

Also, I run with a almost-same-size soft/discreet rifle bag inside the hardcase so you don't have to lug the hardcase around and/or be discreet while leaving the hotel, etc.

Most airports will hand deliver the case to you and check ID ... except Logan as so far twice my rifle case was left unguarded and flung into a pile..... [rolleyes]

Most airports will hand deliver the case to you and check ID ... except Logan as so far twice my rifle case was left unguarded and flung into a pile..... [rolleyes]
I've traveled with a handgun in my checked bag. In all the airports I traveled to, I collected it off the carousel with all the other bags.

I've traveled with a handgun in my checked bag. In all the airports I traveled to, I collected it off the carousel with all the other bags.

Several times I've had my Pelican case end up in a special "courtesy" area for bags they think are military travelers. Not being returning from a deployment of any kind, this has not been the first place I've looked.

I read on another forum (enos I think) about a guy whose case broke and his AR came bouncing down the carousel belt.

Back
Top Bottom