Havard 5-11 USPSA

lugnut- it's best 6 out of the most recent 8, with all sorts of exceptions that can get recent ones tossed out, if for example the score is way less than your average, or you have shot the same classifier before and you've got a higher score on it. So in reality, if you shot every weekend, your best six could stretch back almost a year. I think the classification really should be based on a years rolling average of everything. But it isn't. Like Mike said, it's not the best sytem, but it's all we've got. Which is really only a way to seperate shooters for individual accomplishments during competition, but I don't believe that attaining a classification should in any way be a sign of achievement for an individual. I have heard varying arguments to this point over the years, like, I'd rather be last Grand Master than First A Class. Yeah, well, chances are last grandmaster gets nothing, and top A probably beats last grandmaster. Last years Open National Championship last GM finished 97th, Top A finished 29th, and a bunch of Masters finished below the top B. So really, I view the classification system as a rating system that leaves people feeling they achieved something they haven't. for example, if I eventually make GM, will I be able to say, Hey, I'm on the same level as Todd Jarrett? Yes, I can say so because we have the same classification, and to those who don't shoot the sport, that may mean something. But I know that if I go to a match, and Todd and I shoot the same division, I'm his bitch, all day long, and I have no business saying I'm in his class.

The irony here is that I compete in IDPA (go easy on the IDPA bashing [wink]) as well and I got "bumped" up in my division (to SS) by beating all the shooters in my classification at a sanctioned match yet I can just barely do the classifier at the SS level in this division.

That's a good sign Dave. It suggests you have a mind for the things you can't practice.

lugnut- it's best 6 out of the most recent 8, with all sorts of exceptions that can get recent ones tossed out, if for example the score is way less than your average, or you have shot the same classifier before and you've got a higher score on it. So in reality, if you shot every weekend, your best six could stretch back almost a year. I think the classification really should be based on a years rolling average of everything. But it isn't. Like Mike said, it's not the best sytem, but it's all we've got. Which is really only a way to seperate shooters for individual accomplishments during competition, but I don't believe that attaining a classification should in any way be a sign of achievement for an individual. I have heard varying arguments to this point over the years, like, I'd rather be last Grand Master than First A Class. Yeah, well, chances are last grandmaster gets nothing, and top A probably beats last grandmaster. Last years Open National Championship last GM finished 97th, Top A finished 29th, and a bunch of Masters finished below the top B. So really, I view the classification system as a rating system that leaves people feeling they achieved something they haven't. for example, if I eventually make GM, will I be able to say, Hey, I'm on the same level as Todd Jarrett? Yes, I can say so because we have the same classification, and to those who don't shoot the sport, that may mean something. But I know that if I go to a match, and Todd and I shoot the same division, I'm his bitch, all day long, and I have no business saying I'm in his class.

OK- I understand your reasoning- you have a lot of valid points. I do however like how in USPSA you get stages mixed into matches for classifications (and I don't know which ones they are unless it's mentioned up front). At least you get some "game pressure" into the mix.

I think this is a very important thing that we are leaving out. Some people have an incredible ability to step it up in competition. Maybe it's mental toughness, focus, personal drive and a few other factors. I enjoy
competing at practice- but that's not what practice is about for me anyway. I will try different things in practice and sometimes get a little... sloppy. So when people try to compete like crazy at practice a just reply with something like: "It doesn't matter here... see you at the match." [wink]

Back
Top Bottom