Havard 5-11 USPSA

Awesome.

Thanks for posting that.

What a great match it was indeed!

I'll get some vids posted from my squad too.

Awesome video!!! Too bad Rob and I were on a different squad. What a great match this was and what a huge turn out. 87 shooters on Mothers Day.... I can't wait till Manville next Sunday. Congrats AGAIN to Matt J. and Scott B. for taking top honors... This is going to be such a great year with some really stacked competition. Luckily SA John didn't make it to humiliate us all.

Matt, you had a killer match as well. Taking 5th in your division under 2 masters and 1 grand master... Just wait till the new toy comes in.... Great Job and welcome to the B-Class....

Pete

Last edited:
Look at the points I shot per stage. I shot alot of A's, and other than stage 3, I had as many mikes as I did Charles.[angry]

Thinking back on the match and what went wrong

On stage 1, I pushed to hard to get the double swinger on the first presentation, should have done a reload while moving to have extra shot on the swinger
Stage 2 I asked for a calibration and lost. why it took me an extra 10 sec to finish the stage. Probably because I was jerking the trigger on the long steel.
Stage 3. I didn't load enough rounds into the mag
Stage 6 Should have shot strong hand only. couldn't find the dot while trying to hold the tool box with my pinky. Then I had a primer fall out of the case, causing a nice click near the end

Last edited:
Stage 3. I didn't load enough rounds into the mag

I have done that a couple of times in the past as well. After the last time I vowed to never let it happen again.

I totally tanked on stage 1. I am not sure quite why. I just got myself too psyched up before it and ended up with four penalty points. I ran by one target all together. Swingers always psych me out for some reason. I guess I don't shoot enough of them [smile]

Stage six I came out of the box hard at the start and began taking my sight picture on the first target while attempting to grab the tool box with my other hand at the same time. I missed picking it up and had to step back to get it.[shocked]

I don't know about you guys but I have a fierce farmers tan (I mean sun burn) on my arms and tops of my hands! Oh wait... thats where I got my knick name! [rofl]

I put an empty mag I had tucked back into my belt into the gun during a stage last year at New Bedford. I even thought to myself, "hey, that feels a little light." LAst time I will ever do that.....spent mags go in the POCKET, not the belt.

Yeah Whitey, I got sunburn on my face and hands. Got to remember to put some sunscreen in the bag for next weekend.

I didn't get sunburned because I sprayed on some sunscreen. I learned my lesson from the Bruce Gray class last month where I had the farmers tan or farmers burn. I would have prob. placed higher than 5th if I didn't have the Mike on stage 4 and had a decent run on stage 2 and I didn't fumble the reload on the classifier. But that could be said for everyone else that was at the match. HAHA I just need to be a little more consistent.

Thanks again for a great match.

Pete

Are you saying that if you don't make any mistakes, you'll finish higher? That's deep.

Matt shot like a GM yesterday.

Hence, the "HAHA" comment... It is very deep. If I shot better I would have done better... It's like the race car driver that says if I was only a little faster then I could have won...

Very deep my son!!!

Guys- Thanks for the props! [smile]

If only I had not come in 20-something on stage 1...

After the match, my Sunday ended perfectly with a nice ride on the motorcycles with my friend Kevin and the girly (or should I say wifey [shocked])

Dan,

Not quite. I had a decent classifier and it bumped out the lowest one I have in my most recent 6 but it was only enough to slide me to within a 10th of a perentage point of 60% needed for B (based on my calc).

Pete-

Not quite... Based on my calculations I'm at 59.912083

My quest continues! [laugh]

I'm in the same boat, my calcs have me right at 75%, I'll have to wait for USPSA to update to see which side I fall on. everytime I get just enough A classifiers to move up. I shoot a few low "B"s to bring me back down

I've got a fat-mag that looks Para-ish with an uncommon Springfield Armory basebad. Also an Arredondo mag brush (the kind that looks like a fake-tree-cell-tower). I figure it's gotta be Matty's or Dave Q's. Any input?

Dan,

Not quite. I had a decent classifier and it bumped out the lowest one I have in my most recent 6 but it was only enough to slide me to within a 10th of a perentage point of 60% needed for B (based on my calc).

That totally sucks... I'm in the same boat. My last 2 matches I've shot poor classifiers so I was at a 73% but now I think I'm down to 71%. OOOPS, so much for my Master class comments. HAHA I'm not going to rush it as it will come when I'm ready. So long as I make A by the end of this season I'll be happy.

So long as I make A by the end of this season I'll be happy.

That's a silly attitude to take Pete. Your classification should be irrelevant, I didnt care what my class was for years. i still hardly care about it, I thought it was cool when I got to 93% and was sitting on the top 20 Master list, and thinking, I can make GM, that would be cool.

My attitude- It's where you finish in a match that counts. Nothing else matters.

That's a silly attitude to take Pete. Your classification should be irrelevant, I didnt care what my class was for years. i still hardly care about it, I thought it was cool when I got to 93% and was sitting on the top 20 Master list, and thinking, I can make GM, that would be cool.

My attitude- It's where you finish in a match that counts. Nothing else matters.

I don't mean to butt in here but a goal is a goal. Whether it's to win the match, beat your buddies or get to GM, A, B or C. The classifications are varied enough that it should be a fair representation of your performance relative to your peers- so where you end up in a match or in your classification is in some ways the same. That being said who likes losing to anyone? [wink]

+1
It's about what you consistently deliver at matches or for that matter, in classifiers.

Years ago, I just missed making Master, now, I'm glad I did.
Somehow, I still manage to maintain my A classification after all these years. That is as rewarding as a match win, (well almost)

I've seen a lot of shooters make Master and some above, only to leave the sport. I often wonder if they quit because they can't maintain their class.
Getting to a level is one thing, staying there is another.

Had I made Master then, I'd be just another paper master now.[rolleyes]

Last edited:
+1
It's about what you consistently deliver at matches or for that matter, in classifiers.

Years ago, I just missed making Master, now, I'm glad I did.
Somehow, I still manage to maintain my A classification after all these years. That is as rewarding as a match win, (well almost)

I've seen a lot of shooters make Master and some above, only to leave the sport. I often wonder if they quit because they can't maintain their class.
Getting to a level is one thing, staying there is another.

Had I made Master then, I'd be just another paper master now.[rolleyes]

Keep in mind I come from a Martial Arts background so growing up I was always looking to earn my next belt. I did this all the way up to and past when I got earned my black belt in 2 different Martial Arts. That being said I view the classification system the same as the belt system in a Martial Art so I will always train to earn the next classification. That's just my personality.

As for winning matches, of course that means a TON to me and more so than the classifications. However, just because you win a match doesn't mean you're consistently the best. There are too many variables to it because some that puts too much emphasis on other shooters shooting that particular day. The classification is a consistent rating comparing you to (for the most part) all other shooters nation wide. I think this has a huge rating on where you are as a shooter. My ideal goal is to shoot consitently on every stage and to win.

As for winning, when I was competing nation wide in Martial Arts I was ranked # 2 in my division so I know what it takes to get near the top. Taking that extra step is always the hardest as there is always someone better than you some where.

Pete

The classifications are varied enough that it should be a fair representation of your performance relative to your peers- so where you end up in a match or in your classification is in some ways the same. That being said who likes losing to anyone? [wink]

I have to disagree. The classification system isn't varied enough, and is not a fair representation of performance relative to peers. Check out any of the national championships over the last 5-10 years. Look at where the classifications break down in finish, If a GM is expected to finish in the 100-95 percentile, then they ought to all be in there, or at least within 10% of their average. It doesn't work this way. You'll see the majority of people shoot a percentage which is below their national classification percentage, and that's because everything is counted, not just the 6 highest of most recent 8. Not factoring in every single classifier you shoot leads to a slight over classification.
Go to a Nationals, and you see what your level really is.
If you want to treat the classification system as a ladder to attain certain levels, you're lying to yourself if you can't consistently perform at that level nationwide.

I have to disagree. The classification system isn't varied enough, and is not a fair representation of performance relative to peers. Check out any of the national championships over the last 5-10 years. Look at where the classifications break down in finish, If a GM is expected to finish in the 100-95 percentile, then they ought to all be in there, or at least within 10% of their average. It doesn't work this way. You'll see the majority of people shoot a percentage which is below their national classification percentage, and that's because everything is counted, not just the 6 highest of most recent 8. Not factoring in every single classifier you shoot leads to a slight over classification.
If you want to treat the classification system as a ladder to attain certain levels, you're lying to yourself if you can't consistently perform at that level nationwide.

That's a great insight and I never really looked at it like that. Makes 100% sense.

Ok I think I can follow your logic there. I didn't realize it was the best 6 out of the last 8. But how could you factor in ALL your classifiers? Would that be skewed the other way? Say for example you shot like crap or didn't take it serious for 3 years (crappy classifiers) and the recent year you trained like a crazy man and were vastly improved? Would it be fair to count ALL of the three years prior classifiers?

I agree with your consistency point, totally- but I do think it's a fair, although maybe not completely accurate system. Let's face it, gun malfunctions and other problems could skew it as well at a match. On any given day a good B shooter can beat an low A shooter but in general I don't see many C or D shooters beating A shooters on a regular basis. I'm really not trying to be argumentative.... just trying to understand more.

I guess my point is competitive shooters are all (or most of us anyway) trying to measure improvements and classifications are just one way of doing so.

The irony here is that I compete in IDPA (go easy on the IDPA bashing [wink]) as well and I got "bumped" up in my division (to SS) by beating all the shooters in my classification at a sanctioned match yet I can just barely do the classifier at the SS level in this division. I guess I look at both metrics to measure my performance.

Great discussion.

I think the classifier system is good for what it is, a way to rank people in a quick and easy manner. Its just an estimate of your skill and can easily be swayed on way or another,i.e. grandbagging or sandbagging. It's not the best way to rank a shooter, but it all we have.

I don't think moving up a class so be a goal, it should be the result of improved skill.

My goal is to run with Matt consistently. Everytime I feel like I am making progress towards my goal, Matt will raise the bar. My classifer scores show my progress, now when I tank a classifer, its a B score instead of a C. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom