hanson vs. holbrook

its time to pull the trigger(no punn inteded)on a club. those are my options.the thing that bothers me about holbrook is you need 6 people to sign your card before you get a key card to the club.you get them by working there for events and stuff like that. with being so busy with work and home with the kids when the wife works,ill have no time to get that done.and if im going to pay 250 to join and not get a key card,thats bull!!! is hanson the same way??

No, Hanson is not that way. There are required work hours for the first time this year, but I don't believe its a part of the initial membership.

Hanson's a good club I think. I've been a member for about 15 years.

Call and ask for John Monti, he's a good guy. IMO

ace57

I am biased towards Hanson, been "through" holbrook a few times, just didn't care for it, (if its any indicator holbrook is maybe 2 minute drive from my house, hanson 15-20, but I chose Hanson and haven't looked back).
Like the six signature rule, I just found Holbrook had too many silly rules, and most important for me wasn't Machinegun Friendly. (side note I think clubs that aren't MG friendly are "gay" if you can shoot your AR15 there I should be able to shoot my M16 there...end of short rant)
I can't say I always like the rulings of Hanson's B.O.D. but they ussually have good reason for it. While lately things have gotten slightly more restrictive Hanson is a fairly "free" club, members come and go as they please, not need for RSO's to be there, ect, as a result there are some rules to keep the place safe and "in shape".
But really a huge draw to Hanson is the variety of "things" you can do there. Just visit the club's website www.hansonrodandgunclub.com and there are some larger events, everything from of course my event the MG shoot www.hansonshoot.com, to numerous archery events, blackpowder events (as stated above if you'r into that contact John Monti), and plenty of stuff I have forgotten about, plus a lot of monthly/weekly "gatherings" I won't call them events, but things such as trap leagues, pistol leagues, CMP, junior Rifle, etc.

Now as for work hours yes Hanson has a "new" work hour program that started this year, in which all members are "required" to do 8 hours of work hours a year, but even then it really isn't "required" in that if you chose not to do your 8 hours they don't kick you out of the club or something like that, you just have to pay a little higher dues...picking up 8 work hours really isn't that hard...in fact we on the MG shoot committee are always happy to have new help, either befor, during, or after the shoot (members interested send me an email at [email protected])

So yeah, I recommend you check out Hanson, swing by most sunday mornings and you should be able to find someone up in the club house happy to give you a quick tour.

I am not up to date on what each club has, but I know Holbrook's indoor range allows jacketed ammo.

Maybe Hanson does now too, but I remember that being a big plus for me years ago when many of the ranges were lead-only.

I am not up to date on what each club has, but I know Holbrook's indoor range allows jacketed ammo.

Maybe Hanson does now too, but I remember that being a big plus for me years ago when many of the ranges were lead-only.

Yes Hanson's indoor range allows all types of ammo as well.

I believe the indoor range only allows up to .40 cal nothing higher....for now anyway.

If you mean Hanson, you can use all handgun rounds up to and including .45. This includes magnum loads. You may use jacketed ammo and may use .22 rim fire rifles as well. No .17 calibers are allowed.

its time to pull the trigger(no punn inteded)on a club. those are my options.the thing that bothers me about holbrook is you need 6 people to sign your card before you get a key card to the club.you get them by working there for events and stuff like that. with being so busy with work and home with the kids when the wife works,ill have no time to get that done.and if im going to pay 250 to join and not get a key card,thats bull!!! is hanson the same way??

I feel if you can not attend six sessions, then something is wrong. When are you going to visit the club, anyways? Other clubs require you to visit on one specific day out of the year in order to qualify for only one particular range.

1 of the 6 signatures is the required safety class, which enables you to use every range.

We have 2 indoor ranges. A great trap field and the nice big bore range. Improvements are constantly being made to the Big bore range. There is never any sun in your way during the afternoon, which is a big plus, too.

I also do not care for chain smokers, whom are present at some of the other clubs. I also have issues with shooting and drinking...several area clubs have bars. These are not issues with Holbrook.

I have been over to Hanson on several visits. I don't recall a large warm-up house by their rifle range. This is another amenity of Holbrook. Plus, it is so close !!

Lets not confuse the question with "other clubs" question is Hanson or Holbrook...
Other clubs require you to visit on one specific day out of the year in order to qualify for only one particular range.
Hanson, does require an orientation, but it is almost always the same time you come get you key and membership materials.
I also do not care for chain smokers, whom are present at some of the other clubs.
Nor is there smoking inside the building at Hanson.
I also have issues with shooting and drinking...several area clubs have bars
Hanson is a dry club as well.
I have been over to Hanson on several visits. I don't recall a large warm-up house by their rifle range.
There is one at Hansons trap range, but honestly the lack of one on the rifle range has never bothered me, the fire barrel works fine.
I feel if you can not attend six sessions, then something is wrong. When are you going to visit the club, anyways?
I shoot on my schedule not someone else's, but I guess that means something is wrong with me [wink]

Lets not confuse the question with "other clubs" question is Hanson or Holbrook... Hanson, does require an orientation, but it is almost always the same time you come get you key and membership materials. Nor is there smoking inside the building at Hanson. Hanson is a dry club as well. There is one at Hansons trap range, but honestly the lack of one on the rifle range has never bothered me, the fire barrel works fine. I shoot on my schedule not someone else's, but I guess that means something is wrong with me [wink]

There is something wrong. If you can not attend seven meetings(actually seven; since you don't get a signature on the first one), then something is amiss.

There are events on Mondays, Tuesdays, Saturdays, Sundays, Wednesdays that can get you signatures. It sounds like a lazy attitude.

I have been at Hanson and I have seen people smoke right at the door to the house, which is no good as far I am concerned.

The rifle range at Hanson is orientated towards the southwest which picks up glare in the late afternoon.

I must know something because at the last Monday meeting that I attended somewhere in the range of 30 new members had signed with the club.

bill

First off, many of the posts become coke vs pepsi arguements, so I wont carry this on much longer, but...
There is something wrong. If you can not attend seven meetings(actually seven; since you don't get a signature on the first one), then something is amiss. There are events on Mondays, Tuesdays, Saturdays, Sundays, Wednesdays that can get you signatures. It sounds like a lazy attitude.
Alright then there is something wrong with the OP and myself, because we think it is silly to have to attend [STRIKE]six[/STRIKE] now seven events befor we could get a key to the club we have paid into...and to that you suggest we are lazy??? Its not lazyness it is called having a job (not everyone works 9-5 m-f), family, other responsabilities. As I said I shoot on my schedule not someone else's and I think it is overbearing of a club to force me to shoot on someone else's schedule SEVEN times befor I can actually enjoy the club at times/day that work for me....
I must know something because at the last Monday meeting that I attended somewhere in the range of 30 new members had signed with the club.
That is the way is is at a lot of clubs in our area right now, 30+ new members a month is the norm, right now there are two big issues casuing an influx 1. members of scituate looking for "a new home", 2. despite what we are told here all to often "the greatest club in Mass" seems to have a lot of "defectors" and they are going to Holbrook, Hanson, Ames, Standish, etc

i am joining the "shoot on my own time" group here.

i like hanson-- great folks there-- and no pressure to make it to meetings--although sunday breakfast is nice to have with like-minded people.

i have also met quite knowledgeble /friendly people there--

we shoot there often, but are also looking to join a club that is closer to home while staying members @hanson. --we plan to use the 3-D archery targets more this summer.

"the_doctor" --i have to say, you seem to have an ugly attitude toward other clubs. i have never been to holbrook, so i don't have an opinion of it, honestly.... and while you think you might be pushing your club, your snarky attitude and comments would keep people like myself from going there

There is something wrong. If you can not attend seven meetings(actually seven; since you don't get a signature on the first one), then something is amiss.

There are events on Mondays, Tuesdays, Saturdays, Sundays, Wednesdays that can get you signatures. It sounds like a lazy attitude.

I have been at Hanson and I have seen people smoke right at the door to the house, which is no good as far I am concerned.

The rifle range at Hanson is orientated towards the southwest which picks up glare in the late afternoon.

bill

Sounds like you need to intiate an investigation into what's "wrong" or "amiss"
[rofl]
Also perhaps you might be a little less judgemental regarding peoples attitudes. "lazy" to you seems like "freedom" to me.
[shocked]

I am not a member of either Holbrook or Hanson. I am a member at BRP for close to 14 years. I have been to both Hanson, and Holbrook.

I was going to join Holbrook when I was looking for a club, because my buddy was a member there. It seemed like a nice place until I met some of the "in Crowd". They were kind of arrogant, and this totally turned my buddy off and he never renewed there.

Hanson had some great people there, and the place is nice, but I was already a member of BRP when I visited there.

I am not a member of either Holbrook or Hanson. I am a member at BRP for close to 14 years. I have been to both Hanson, and Holbrook.

I was going to join Holbrook when I was looking for a club, because my buddy was a member there. It seemed like a nice place until I met some of the "in Crowd". They were kind of arrogant, and this totally turned my buddy off and he never renewed there.

Hanson had some great people there, and the place is nice, but I was already a member of BRP when I visited there.

I don't know about displays of arrogance at Holbrook.

I went to BRP for a tour and I do not plan to go back. I am amazed at the wonderful statements made about that club. I found that most of the people were fuds, old, and trying to end shooting. I also got the real vibe that some of those people had been cutting deals with their friend from High school(ie the construction guy). So who are we kidding?

Holbrook looks to maintain the club. They try to integrate members into the club. We are having a club dinner next thursday. Prior to the trip we are going to take a tour.

If you ever join any other club organization, then you would seem it is quite similar. This is not a range rental fee.

I have been to several clubs. I would have to say that Easton is much better, but I think that they have a waiting list. Standish is not like Holbrook and they have a waiting list. So who is really arrogant?

Give it a try.

Each of us is a "sample of one", and thus our personal experiences may not reflect the true tenor of any club. As much as I like BR&P, I'll share my observations of both BR&P and Holbrook Sportsmen's Club.

- In 1998 I determined to join a second club to shoot hi-power rifle (for fun) and set out to visit numerous clubs after checking out facilities via GOAL's info on what each club had to offer. It came down to BR&P or Holbrook at this point.

- On a Sunday morning I drove over to Holbrook. As I approached two men talking in the parking lot, they were telling anti-Semitic jokes. Although they were cordial to me, I had had my fill of anti-Semitic and racial "jokes" while working for the PD to fill my lifetime. This was a big turn-off to me. They also explained that they were having trouble with the neighbors alongside the right side of the range.

- Again on a Sunday morning I went to pay BR&P a visit. An older gent wearing a "six-gun" in a Western style holster greeted me and showed me around. He was more than cordial, answered all my questions, and being a member of a club with essentially no effective indoor range ventilation, I was very impressed with the HEPA system on the new indoor range. That's where I chose to sign up.

- Over the 10 years that I've now been a member at BR&P, I've come to realize a number of things.

* Lots of retirees hang out there, meet their friends, drink coffee and chat/watch the Sat TV. They are friendly if you approach them with a question or need help (many are quite knowledgeable), some don't shoot much any more, but some are still active bullseye shooters. A few of them CCW, most don't, but nobody passes a disparaging word at anyone who carries openly or CCW at that club (at least I have not witnessed it).

* Everyone I've met at BR&P has been more than hospitable and helpful to new shooters and/or new members. Membership is active and made up of both sexes, many races and I've never heard a disparaging word about any ethnic/sex/racial group.

* BR&P serves a free dinner on meeting nights. They serve breakfast on Sunday mornings except during the Summer, although there is a cost involved for breakfasts. They also serve meals when there are matches or gun shows being held.

* When I joined there was a sandpit beside and behind the club, where people used to shoot. Now there are condos and that has led to rules to keep the sheeple off our backs. Don't like it, but Messina wasn't about to sell out to us, that's for sure!

* The club has strict rules on what can be shot where, paper only. All posted on the website, so there are no secrets. It's not an action-shooting club, but otherwise really not very restrictive.

* There have been two incidents within the past 5 years or so where bullets struck commercial buildings some 660 yds downrange. NRA investigations have concluded with 99.9999% certainty that the bullets did not come from our range, but likely from encroachment near the RR right-of-way near the buildings that were struck. To avoid problems, the club BOD shut down the ranges both times and took actions to further ensure safety on those ranges. Due to legal tenor in MA, I can hardly fault them for it, even though I hate not being able to shoot on the pistol ranges during the "outages".

* I've learned the hard way (at 3 clubs) that staying clear of the politics in a club's management is a wise thing to do. I have no idea wrt your claims of some collusion, nor do I care to know. I do know that they put work out to bid before letting out a contract.

* I think membership caps are foolish! BR&P does not have such a thing and I worked hard to abolish it at MF&G where we compromised on a cap of 1000, that'll take many years to approach.

That's my "sample of one" experience. Yours may differ and both of us could be correct based on our experiences.

I don't know about displays of arrogance at Holbrook.

I went to BRP for a tour and I do not plan to go back. I am amazed at the wonderful statements made about that club. I found that most of the people were fuds, old, and trying to end shooting. I also got the real vibe that some of those people had been cutting deals with their friend from High school(ie the construction guy). So who are we kidding?

Holbrook looks to maintain the club. They try to integrate members into the club. We are having a club dinner next thursday. Prior to the trip we are going to take a tour.

If you ever join any other club organization, then you would seem it is quite similar. This is not a range rental fee.

I have been to several clubs. I would have to say that Easton is much better, but I think that they have a waiting list. Standish is not like Holbrook and they have a waiting list. So who is really arrogant?

Give it a try.

I think that if you saw me, then you would know that I don't take kindly to anti-semitic jokes. I have never heard of anything like that at HSC. I heard all sorts of things at Braintree. I also saw that everyone there was a huge smoker.

I also heard a lot of stuff about BRP trying to arrange some land swaps with Messina.

I am not impressed with having a dinner at every meeting. I saw another club that has such a dinner and alcohol.

Each of us is a "sample of one", and thus our personal experiences may not reflect the true tenor of any club. As much as I like BR&P, I'll share my observations of both BR&P and Holbrook Sportsmen's Club.

I am not impressed with having a dinner at every meeting. I saw another club that has such a dinner and alcohol.

BRP has Dinners but no alchohol is allowed. Alchohol isnt allowed on the property.

I am not trying to get into a pissing contest here I chose to join BRP instead of Holbrook. It all came down to at the time Braintree was just finishing there new indoor range. I had no problems with the people at either place. I have freinds that belong to Holbrook. I just liked the idea of the new indoor range with great ventilation and 24hr access ( I used to work till 2am so it was convenient)

I think that if you saw me, then you would know that I don't take kindly to anti-semitic jokes. I have never heard of anything like that at HSC. I heard all sorts of things at Braintree. I also saw that everyone there was a huge smoker.

I also heard a lot of stuff about BRP trying to arrange some land swaps with Messina.

I'm Jewish as well. It was "two guys" talking, they may well not be representative of the club's membership . . . it just left a bad taste in my mouth, that's all. First impressions are really hard to take back. Could this happen amongst two people at BR&P (or any other club)? Yes of course it could and it would similarly leave a bad impression on some that might over-hear it.

When I was a teen (before I ever got into shooting), I belonged to a totally unaffiliated org that met at Holbrook every month.

Yes, there are lots of smokers at BR&P. We also have two big smoke-eaters that actually make it tolerable (I'm allergic to cig/cigar smoke). A few years ago they enacted a rule of "no smoking in the clubhouse during meetings" which is very helpful.

When Messina was proposing the development that he built, he was interested in some land swaps. Never happened however and he built on his land. We did re-orient the trap field somewhat and Messina was supposed to pay for some other safety improvements. Somehow I doubt that the club ever saw a dime from him, but I don't know that as fact.

The dinners are a nice touch and bring more folks that come directly from work. As stated above, BR&P has a very strict rule, no alcohol at any time for any reason allowed on club property, period (expulsion is the penalty)! That's one reason we hire the DAV Hall and a caterer for the Annual Meeting in December. 250-300 members show up and after the meeting concludes, the DAV open the cash bar and lunch is served. I don't typically see too many drink (I don't other than soda or coffee) there, but I've never seen anyone drunk at those meetings.

I don`t belong to any club right now but i have been looking.

I love Hanson and i took my hunters & pistol courses there. However i wanted some place closer.

I did some research online and decided to go to Holbrook. one of the reasons other than what the club offered was the fact that the website said membership was prorated the farther along into the year new members joined. Money is short right now so although i did not like the 6 sig rule i decided to go there. while i was filling out the app a couple of LEOs were asking about the dues. they were told they had to pay the full amount (this was about 1 1/2 month ago). The LEO said so my membership will go till this time next year and he was told no. He said he thought it was prorated and if not it should go till that time next year. At this point i said excuse me and i stated that i thought the same and mentioned what the website said. We were told that was after July. the LEOs shook their heads, I walked out. I was not going to pay for a full year and get half a year + pay the in. fee AND have to get 6 sig on top of that. The thing that pushed me over the edge and made me leave is the fact that if they could not keep the website and their facts/rules on the same page, did i really want to risk doing something wrong while there, thinking i was doing something right and not knowing they changed something somewhere.

now i have an ap in at Standish but there is a long wait. so i just might go to Hanson in the meantime.

i'm waiting on standish (close to a year now). so i joined holbrook, still trying to get all my sig"s. it is total bull$hit.was at braintree last month, very nice club !!!! i think i joined the wrong one.

Back
Top Bottom