• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Handloads for IDPA

Mil-Dot

Instructor
NES Member
Does anyone out there know of a good resource for information on handloads for IDPA applications? So much too consider; recoil, velocity, bullet wt, bullet BC, etc., while still meeting the minimum power floor.
Mil-Dot

Wow- that was one open ended question! First get a chrono or make sure you can borrow one. Don't go nuts with experimenting with loads until you get more knowledge.

I assume you have at least a couple reloading books?

Thanks for the info. Note: I've been reloading for about 20 years but I'm new to the IDPA sport. I've worked-up loads for HP rifle comps, hunting, etc. Recoil has never been an issue until now and I was hoping that someone out there had some recommended loads that I could use as a baseline. As far a using a chrony, I never leave home without it[wink]
Sorry for not being clear in my original post.

Mostly 9mm for now (that's what I've been using) but would like info on .40S&W and .45ACP since I would like to try those as well. I have all the reloading components I need but looking for recommendations on different bullets (manufactures, wts, BC, etc.) powders (types and charge), and so on. I am aware that IDPA reloads do not need to meet bench-rest standards, I guess I'm looking for the best bullet/powder combo that will shoot flat and consistent with minimum recoil. I know that a great load that shoots out of one firearm may not in another. I'm just looking for a starting point to work-up loads (to save me time and money[wink]).
Mil-Dot

Titegroup seems to be the most common and well liked powder for 9mm and .40. Montana Gold or Zero the common bullet makers. They are both accurate. 125gr is typical weight for 9mm. 180gr for .40.

However, what gun? Just saying a 9mm is too general for charges or OAL. 9mm is sensative to OAL with regard to the charge due to the small volume, and guns are sensative to the OAL due to mags, so you need to be more specific. Just for 9mm you could have different ideal load going from a Glock 17 vs Glock 34 vs a CZ75 vs a 9mm 1911.

W231- 4.5gr, 1.130 COL, 124 Berrys RN or Montana Gold CMJ. I use Win Small Pistol primers. Works well in my G34.

Some like the low recoil of the heavy bullets... like 147gr. I think they feel too slugish.

Try between 3.8 and 4 grains of Titegroup at 1.125" with 125 or 124. You want to get about a 135 power factor, which around 1100fps, in order to knock over steel without any problem.

Try between 3.8 and 4 grains of Titegroup at 1.125" with 125 or 124. You want to get about a 135 power factor, which around 1100fps, in order to knock over steel without any problem.

Mil-Dot- I used 4.0gr Titegroup, 124gr Berrys, 1.130" COL and was getting about 133PF. This was with a G34.

.45 cal 200 gn SWC lead

(again I've just awoken from a 10 year absence from the reloading and competitive shooting scene, thanks in advance for your help)

I use to load 200 gn SWC .45 lead at 910 fps to make the old 180 power factor. Now that the Power factor has been reduced to 165, should I just back the the 231 powder back to 850 fps? My goal is to spend the winter shooting .45 major loads to get ready for some spring shooting

Last edited:
I'm using 3.0 Clays with WSP primer set at facyory length for .40 S&W. The bullet is either a 180 or 185 moly coated lead bullets. I shoot both bullets no real diffrence in performance. Shoots very well out of my XD service model.

Back
Top Bottom