Gun Violence report in the hands of DeLeo

Status
Not open for further replies.

SECTION 18. Section 128A of said chapter 140 is hereby amended by adding the following 2 sentences:- Any sale or transfer conducted pursuant to this section shall comply with section 131E and shall take place at the location of a dealer licensed pursuant to section 122, who shall transmit the information required by this section for purchases and sales to the department of criminal justice information
services. A licensed dealer may charge the seller a fee not to exceed $25 for each sale or transfer submitted on behalf of the seller to the department of criminal justice information services.

Sounds like they're playing the role of facilitator rather than actually taking the guns onto their own books.

From GOAL's summary:

SECTION 30

[Reducing Gun Trafficking] Requires applicants for the renewal of a license to carry to list guns they still own or have lost, sold or acquired since the date of the last renewal or issuance.

BS.

I don't see this in the actual bill.

SECTION 30. Paragraph (l) of said section 131 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended
by inserting after the first sentence the following sentence:- The form for renewal shall include an
affidavit whereby the applicant shall verify that the applicant has not lost any firearms or had any
firearms stolen from the applicant’s possession since the date of the applicant’s last renewal or
issuance.

Here is the private sales wording:
SECTION 18. Section 128A of said chapter 140 is hereby amended by adding the following 2 sentences:-
Any sale or transfer conducted pursuant to this section shall comply with section 131E and shall take
place at the location of a dealer licensed pursuant to section 122, who shall transmit the information
required by this section for purchases and sales to the department of criminal justice information
services. A licensed dealer may charge the seller a fee not to exceed $25 for each sale or transfer
submitted on behalf of the seller to the department of criminal justice information services.

So basically, it sounds like they're making it so you have to do the sale at a dealer's premises, they have to submit the FA-10 info using their computer system, and they can only charge up to $25 for that service. Super, what was once free and could be done anywhere will now cost $25 and will only be doable at the few shops that are actually willing to do it for only $25.

SECTION 25. The third paragraph of said section 129C of said chapter 140, as so appearing is hereby amended by striking out the last sentence and inserting in place thereof the following 2 sentences:- Whoever fails to report the loss or theft of a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun or the recovery of any firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, previously reported lost or stolen, to both the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services and the licensing authority in the city or town where the owner resides shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000 for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $2,500 nor more than $7,500 for a second offense and by a fine of not less than $7,500 nor more than $10,000 or imprisonment for not less than 1 year nor more than 5 years, or by both such fines and imprisonments, for a third or subsequent offense. Failure to so report shall be cause for suspension or permanent revocation of such person's firearm identification card or license to carry firearms, or both.

So how much jail time do you get for a boating accident in which 10 guns are lost? Is that one offense, or multiple offenses?

SECTION 16. [Reducing Gun Trafficking] Requires firearms dealers who fail to renew their license or
whose license is forfeited to transmit all records of firearms sales to EOPSS and ATF.

Gun registration.

SECTION 30. [Reducing Gun Trafficking] Requires applicants for the renewal of a license to carry to list
guns they still own or have lost, sold or acquired since the date of the last renewal or issuance.

More rigistration

SECTION 18. [Reducing Gun Trafficking] Requires all secondary market gun sales to take place at a
location operated by a licensed firearms dealer and requires the dealer to submit pertinent information
to DCJIS.

Even more registration.

Not one thing will prevent gun violence. Lets keep dancing on the graves of children...What a bunch of bastards.

I see the part about no more class Bs. But I don't see anything making all licenses unrestricted, as some had speculated.

here's the new section 32. Completely unreadable to me but it still sounds like the AG is still running the show and trumps all else?

SECTION 32

. Section 131 ¾ of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out the
first, second and third paragraphs and inserting in place thereof th e following 3 paragraphs:

-The secretary of public safety shall, with the advice of the gun control advisory board established

pursuant to the provisions of section 131 ½ and in consultation with the attorney general, compile and
publish a roster of large capacity rifles, shotguns, firearms and feeding devices, all as defined in section

121, and such weapons referred to in clauses Eighteenth to Twenty-first, inclusive, of section 123;

provided, however, the make and model of any weapon, the sale of which would constitute an unfair or

deceptive trade act or practice pursuant to section 131K or section 2 of chapter 93A, shall not be
included on the roster

.The secretary shall, not less than 3 times annually, publish the roster in newspapers of general circulation throughout the commonwealth, and shall send a copy thereof to all dealers licensed in the commonwealth under the provisions of said section 122 of said chapter 140; and further, the licensing authority shall furnish said roster to all cardholders and licensees upon initial issuance and upon every renewal of the same. The secretary may amend the roster upon his own initiative or with the advice of the gun control advisory board or the attorney general. A person may petition the secretary to place a weapon on, or remove a weapon from, the roster

, subject to the provisions of this section. A person who so petitions shall give the reasons why the roster should be so amended.

So, if Glocks are not allowed under 93A (AG regs), does that mean they need to be removed from the EOPSS roster, and thus will no longer be able to be sold to police departments in MA?

PDs ("agencies") have been and will always be exempt. Fed Law allows a LE AGENCY (not officer) to order anything they want direct from anyone they want and across state lines.

It will kill individual officer purchases. However, EOPS has already ruled that individual officers can not buy anything not approved anyway (I think {not 100% on this} they also claim that even if on EOPS Roster but not AG Regs compliant is off limits).

It would whittle the EOPS List down to one or two pages of compliant guns!!

Sounds like they're playing the role of facilitator rather than actually taking the guns onto their own books.

I doubt that BATFE would see it that way. My bet is that they would require it to go thru the BB and thus meet all the MGLs for transfers.

Yup, bye bye FTF private sales...

SECTION 18. Section 128A of said chapter 140 is hereby amended by adding the following 2 sentences:-
Any sale or transfer conducted pursuant to this section shall comply with section 131E and shall take
place at the location of a dealer licensed pursuant to section 122, who shall transmit the information
required by this section for purchases and sales to the department of criminal justice information

I was told by GCAB a very long time ago that they invited the AG to work with them on the List. AG REFUSED! I doubt anything has changed or would change if the wording above became law. In essence it would stop all handgun sales/transfers in MA, a primary goal of the AG office (past, present and future).

the real question is how does it effect guns that are not on the "list" that are here legally now?

Section 34:
The executive office of public safety and security, with the advice and recommendations of the
Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association and the gun control advisory board, shall promulgate rules
and regulations establishing standardized curriculum for instruction to be included in all basic firearms
safety courses; provided, however, the standardized curriculum for instruction shall include live fire
training and instruction on: (i) the safe use, handling and storage of firearms; (ii) methods for securing
and childproofing firearms; (iii) the applicable laws, including laws of the commonwealth, relating to the
possession, transportation and storage of firearms; (iv) operation, potential dangers and basic
competency in the ownership and usage of firearms; and (v) the prevention of suicide and gun-related
accidents, which shall incorporate the program of instruction on harm reduction developed by the
division on violence and injury prevention pursuant to section 230 of chapter 111.

Live fire required to get a license. Goodbye affordable and widely available training.
Firearm instructors are supposed to teach a segment which includes suicide prevention? Get real.

Why, if all they're doing is transmitting info to the state?

Because there are very specific federal laws/regulations that dictate what a FFL MUST do wrt any gun coming into his business premises. I'm not an expert in this area, but I am pretty sure they dictate that it must be logged in the BB with only an exception for an immediate repair (e.g. changing sights while the customer waits, etc.).

When the state passes/proposes a law they could care less what impact it might have wrt the federal law/regs that a dealer must operate under.

I don't see this in the actual bill.
SECTION 30. Paragraph (l) of said section 131 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended
by inserting after the first sentence the following sentence:- The form for renewal shall include an
affidavit whereby the applicant shall verify that the applicant has not lost any firearms or had any
firearms stolen from the applicant’s possession since the date of the applicant’s last renewal or
issuance.

That I could live with, since it will a yes no, did you lose any or have any stolen, that is not registration

Based solely on Sections 18 and 32, it's clear that part of the goal of this bill is to effectively eliminate most handgun sales within MA.

Section 46 is a bunch of BS. Requiring an FFL that no longer exists to comply with said new law. Or else.
Sounds like an "Ex post facto" law.

Looks like a certain FFL that moved to NH is now required to submit their records to Mass or be fined. Which is complete BS.

SECTION 46. Any person who was issued a license pursuant to section 122 of chapter 140 of the General Laws that is no longer current or valid and who sold a firearm, including any rifle or shotgun, under that license any time after January 1, 1994, shall transmit or cause to transmit, within 180 days of the effective date of this act, all records of firearms sold under that license to the executive office of public safety and security and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Whoever fails to comply with this section shall be punishable by a fine of not less than $500 and not more than $5,000; provided, however, no fine shall be assessed if the executive office of public safety determines that, upon written explanation within, a person otherwise in violation of this section cannot reasonably comply.

I wonder what impact his has on C&R FFLs as they are not licensed under the MGLs (Sec 128A) and an interstate C&R transfer would not be between persons under 131E:

Section 131E. Any resident of the commonwealth may purchase firearms, rifles, shotguns and ammunition feeding devices from any dealer licensed under section 122, or from such person as shall be qualified under section 128A...

Because there are very specific federal laws/regulations that dictate what a FFL MUST do wrt any gun coming into his business premises. I'm not an expert in this area, but I am pretty sure they dictate that it must be logged in the BB with only an exception for an immediate repair (e.g. changing sights while the customer waits, etc.).

I'd be interested in this. The exception for immediate repairs that you note would seem to indicate that the fed regs are concerned with the FFLs actually taking control and possession of the gun in the absence of its owner, not just any guns that happen to pass through the shop. I mean, what about people carrying in shops? Are they supposed to be booked? FTF transfers currently done in shops are supposed to hit the BB too?

When the state passes/proposes a law they could care less what impact it might have wrt the federal law/regs that a dealer must operate under.

I would be interested to see what the ATF would say about it. If a transfer done under Section 18 of the bill counts as a transaction that requires logging the gun into and out of the dealer's bound book, then it effectively eliminates the ability of private sellers to transfer non-compliant handguns within the state.

what a freaking disaster.

all guns you bought or sold since your last renewal? I don't even know how to start doing that, or breaking out which ones moved with me, or which ones I bought, or which ones my wife bought. It's nucking futs.

Yeah, BS we would be burdened with this. People are going to have to start firing up Excel spreadsheets to track their own inventory now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom