Grip Safeties...

SnakeEye

Banned
Ive been itching to get a compact 1911 style .45 like the Colt defender or Para Warthog but im a little apprehensive about grip safeties.
Can anyone elaborate on the pros and cons of this feature..
It seems to me , at least off hand to be a bad idea for a defenisve carry pistol..
thoughts/opinions welcome.

In case of the 1911, the grip safey's been there for 95 years, has been used in many wars, by cops and Feds. How much more defensive can you get?

It is a great safety feature that makes cocked and locked carry so safe. You can't pull the trigger until the grip is squeezed. The hammer can't hit the pin until the grip is squeezed and the trigger is pulled, and the pin can't drop until they all are activated. And none of this happens until the thumb safety is off.

I have a couple and they are a non issue as far as using them goes.

Don't worry about the grip. It's there and it's good.

Last edited:
Pilgrim pretty much covered it all.

I have a grip safety on both my 1911 and XD. Both function fine as an added level of protection and I have no reservations with either as a defensive handgun. Also, in normal use you don't even notice it's there.

CD

you can pin the grip safety but I wouldn't do that on a carry gun. I have a few 1911s and have never had any issues with the grip safety.

The one issue with a grip safety is that if you have a very high grip, or don't grip the gun correctly, like on a fast draw. you might not engage the safety.

SnakeEye said:
now i just need to find out who manufactures compact 1911's with ambi thumb safeties (im a southpaw)

There are a ton of reputable manufacturers that make aftermarket ambi-safeties. You can probably do the install and fitting yourself.

SnakeEye said:
good, thats what i was hoping to hear.
:)
might have to take a trip to the firing line for some one on one

Do they have them at the Firing Line? (I assume you're talking about manchester). I hadn't seen them there when I've been up there.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom