• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Grinding off bayonet lug

WanMan99

NES Life Member
NES Member
A question about grinding off the bayonet lug on a AR-15 upper. I was wondering if anything needs to be done to the metal after the grinding is done? Do you now have a shiny chrome looking part surrounded by black? Should I just bring the upper into a gunsmith to get it done?
Thanks.

I just used cold blue to touch it up--hardly noticable. This is the stuff: Perma Blue : PERMA-BLUE | Brownells Most gun shops carry it.

Cutting it off is easy with a dremmel cutting wheel. I had it off in less than a minute. Alternatively you could just cut off the two ears on either side which would make it inoperable.

p_167001220_1.jpg

I just used cold blue to touch it up--hardly noticable. This is the stuff: Perma Blue : PERMA-BLUE | Brownells Most gun shops carry it.

Cutting it off is easy with a dremmel cutting wheel. I had it off in less than a minute. Alternatively you could just cut off the two ears on either side which would make it inoperable.

or JB weld inside the ears and knock that out later when you're free.

make sure that you grind off correct lug bro, I'd hate to see you going to state penn for this,

asanypa4.jpg

but then, after you lob off your dogs balls, does it really care what grows on that place???

make sure that you grind off correct lug bro, I'd hate to see you going to state penn for this,

asanypa4.jpg

but then, after you lob off your dogs balls, does it really care what grows on that place???

He he... I think I will keep my sling mount... I actually got into an argument with a Fudd over the bayo lug being on a Post ban upper/lower combo (since dis-assembled until it is in "compliance") I did contemplate butt stroking the old man with it but I was raised to respect my elders.

- - - Updated - - -

+1
Excellent, thank you for the link.

asanypa4.jpg

Wait, so that's not where you mount a bipod? Damn, I've been doing it all wrong...

I used a cut-off disk on my 4.5" angle grinder. I smoothed the cut with a fine bastard file and some flat black paint to match the phosphate coating.

Chris

What happens when we finally hit go time and you can't participate in a bayonet charge? You will regret it then. Being serious I want to thank you in advance for being proactive in do this and making that AR safer.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom