Great day!

Where to begin? 74 degrees, no humidity, in the middle of the White Mountains shooting targets. Walther P1, Hi-point 9mm carbine w/ Soviet 4x scope, AK-74, M41b Swede & my buddies T/C .50 smokestick. I am tired, very tired. We started w/ the T/C. He had no data and a pound of Goex FFG. Sabots were 250 to 270gr. I thought caution should be used. 80gr of Goex. Well he went for it. I used 90 to 110 grain in my Muzzle loader before, so that was the safe starting point. At 100 yards and his 1st attempt, he did great. 80 gr. hit POA within 4". Not low, but all 3 hit around center. We used Oak to check penetration. I think 8" of oak penetration should do the trick on Whitetail.
I'll go to the P1 next. It is am odd piece. A 1979 build w/ P4 features, except barrel length. What a dream! I just wish it had a bigger mag. Very accurate out to 35 yards. The best single action trigger I have ever used.
The AK-74, well what can I say. The ground around the target just erupts!
Now the M41b was a trick! I found that it is set for 100 Meters, not yards. The bullet comes in like a good slider in Baseball. At 100 yards it is about 6" high, but after 100 meters it is dead on. Horizontal was perfect. When I took the scope off and used the SK ram sights, well it was outstanding. I'll adjust the scope yardage later. I found that Surplus ammo and Igman 139grSP had the same POI.
The Hi-point which was been sitting in my safe for 10 years was accurate to 100 yards, in 9x19!
I also brought a couple of .22's for cheap fun. We were there for hours.

BTW, I have not seen Deer sign like what we did today in Years. Piles of terds! jp

Back
Top Bottom