• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

got my first SMLE rifle...couple of questions

This is my first C&R firearm ever! It's an SMLE No. 1 MkIII*. I've wanted an SMLE since I was a kid, and I finally found one @ a decent price so I couldn't pass it up.

Is there a gunsmith you would recommend in east MA within an hour from the Boston area that could inspect the rifle? Is this even necessary, or could I inspect it myself? I'd like to make sure it is in safe firing condition before I take it to the range.

What makes you think it might be unsafe?

A gun smith will do a visual inspection and then check the headspace with go/no go gauges.

Most of the visual inspection stuff is obvious. You strip the gun and check for cracks, deep pits of rust, and other signs of metal fatigue. Check out the bore and make sure is is clear and unobstructed. It is pretty obvious stuff. Without the gauges, there is no way to check headspace except proof testing.

Proof testing involves firing the gun in a safe manner and direction and being a safe distance so that if it fails no one will be hurt from flying bits. The old fashion way is to use a tire and a string. After firing, check the empty cartridge case for signs of excessive pressure. In you do not have access to an uncrowded range this will not be something you can do.

I have bought and sold many Enfields and have always gotten by with just the visual check. But of course, maybe I was just lucky.

Out of curiosity, what factory produced it and what year was it made? Enfields are my favorite C&R's.

i proof tested my mk1 no3 that i picked up a few months ago i secured it to a log and used a long string to pull the trigger i fired 5 shots and then inspected the spent brass all the brass looked great so i felt safe to fire the rifle and i have put many rounds through it since with no problems

What makes you think it might be unsafe?

A gun smith will do a visual inspection and then check the headspace with go/no go gauges.

Most of the visual inspection stuff is obvious. You strip the gun and check for cracks, deep pits of rust, and other signs of metal fatigue. Check out the bore and make sure is is clear and unobstructed. It is pretty obvious stuff. Without the gauges, there is no way to check headspace except proof testing.

Proof testing involves firing the gun in a safe manner and direction and being a safe distance so that if it fails no one will be hurt from flying bits. The old fashion way is to use a tire and a string. After firing, check the empty cartridge case for signs of excessive pressure. In you do not have access to an uncrowded range this will not be something you can do.

I have bought and sold many Enfields and have always gotten by with just the visual check. But of course, maybe I was just lucky.

Out of curiosity, what factory produced it and what year was it made? Enfields are my favorite C&R's.

I did a exterior visual inspection, no cracks, rust, or anything like that. I'll break it down this weekend to do a more detailed look. I guess the headspace inspection is the only thing I can't do by myself since I don't have the gauges.

It's a Peddle-scheme SMLE No 1 Mk III*. Waist is marked with a crown icon and "GR" with "1918" stamped immediately below. NExt to the safety is "SSA". On the receiver immediately in front of the bolt, it is stamped "CAL GEORGIA VT.""

I would love to see pics of the markings on the SSA rifle you have. I have never seen one personally. Those are very interesting rifles. Congrats on a good find.

I guess the headspace inspection is the only thing I can't do by myself since I don't have the gauges.

I am not a gunsmith and I may be wrong, but my understanding is that if you can close the bolt on a cartridge then you are good for not having too little headspace. TO check too much headspace proof firing will do the trick. If the gun blows up then you had way too much head space. If you have case seperetion you have excessive head space and if the primer is high than you have a little too much head space.

But then again, I also do not know what a gunsmith around by you would charge to check it out. It would be worth $25 to not have to bother proof firing a gun.

Also, in case you do not already know, if the headspace it not good, Enfield bolt faces unscrew from the bolt and can be placed with one of a different length. Headspace is very easy to correct on an Enfield.

Last edited:
some were demilled by drilling a 1/4 hole in the side of the receiver. Look for that from the inside as the wood will cover it on the outside. They should have DP stamped on them as well, indicated "Drill or Parade" use only.

On the receiver immediately in front of the bolt, it is stamped "CAL GEORGIA VT.""
The stamps can be hard to read, but that will actually be "CAI" - Century Arms International, with a warehouse in Georgia, VT. They also have an import warehouse in St. Albans VT, so that stamp is also seen.

There is a gunsmith in North Attleboro as well. Santori I believe is his name. Kelly Blvd N. Attleboro.
Try a round in the chamber and see if the bolt closes, check to see if it extracts. The bolt heads are numbered. If you need parts Numrich on the web is a great place. Congrates on your purchase.

so this morning, I just decided what the hell and went to the range. I put 20 rounds through it and it shot beautifully. Recoil is tame and the action is smooooooooth as butter.

Back
Top Bottom