Got lucky as hell today in southern nh.

I haven't seen a rabbit since I left Louisiana in August. I have popped a couple of Red Squirrels and Chipmunks with a pellet rifle in my yard doing pest control over the last couple days.

Yup. Wouldn't shoot em if I wasn't.

Never ate a squirrel.

I do all my hunting/gathering at Market Basket, I'm screwed when TEOTWAWKI happens.

How do you cook something as small as a squirrel ? Just gut it, cook and pick around the bones ?

Shouldn't taste that bad because their diet doesn't consist of meat or garbage, right ?

Never ate a squirrel.

I do all my hunting/gathering at Market Basket, I'm screwed when TEOTWAWKI happens.

How do you cook something as small as a squirrel ? Just gut it, cook and pick around the bones ?

Shouldn't taste that bad because their diet doesn't consist of meat or garbage, right ?
Deep fried then smothered in gravy with biscuits is my new favorite. Yes you eat around the bones.....just like a chicken wing.

And yes they taste fine. I would never eat squirrel or rabbit from the city or the burbs.....only from the woods.

20200913_165247.jpg

Went out for grey squirrel in Southern nh. Jumped a rabbit in the middle of the woods. Also got a nice grey. Not bad for an hour walk in the woods. View attachment 398871View attachment 398872

Dude you're a small game serial killer!!! IS that shotgun an A5? I never see greys out in the woods. Only reds. The greys are always in my bird feeders.

Deep fried then smothered in gravy with biscuits is my new favorite. Yes you eat around the bones.....just like a chicken wing.

And yes they taste fine. I would never eat squirrel or rabbit from the city or the burbs.....only from the woods.

View attachment 398885

Looking pretty tasty to me. Even if your cheating with those Pillsbury biscuits. 😆😆

Bob

LMAO I'll never forget ECs legendary post about squirrel cutlets....

She's also lying when she says that she's eaten squirrel. I've eaten it and it doesn't taste "just like chicken", it tastes like shit. If she'd really ever had squirrel, she would not mistake it for chicken. If I made squirrel cutlets and served them to my friends, they wouldn't ask, "Are these chicken cutlets?"
They'd ask, "Dude, are these shit cutlets?"

You know this because you've eaten it with garlic and herbs. When you cook it that way, it tastes like garlic, herbs... and shit! You gotta admit, when you were done, you weren't thinking, "Man, I wish there was more of that!" You were thinking, "Holy shit, I'm glad I'm done with that!"

Even if you marinate squirrel in vinegar overnight, and prepare it "right", the best you can do is to make it taste " a little less like shit."

Anybody that eats squirrel and likes it does so only to "justify" killing it. I'm over that now. If I feel like killing squirrels, I go out and kill them. I'll dry their tails, send them to Mepps, and they'll give me $1 each for them. If I use a .22 and kill enough of them, I make money.

source: You are all homophobic bubbas who want to kill gays!!!! [rofl]

[rofl]

For years I tried to not shoot rabbit over my bird dog.
Last year he worked an area really well and I could tell he was super birdie when all of a sudden out pooped that cottontail.
I said F@ck it and shot it. It was delicious.
This year I'm shooting every one of those furry hoppity bastards I see.

For years I tried to not shoot rabbit over my bird dog.
Last year he worked an area really well and I could tell he was super birdie when all of a sudden out pooped that cottontail.
I said F@ck it and shot it. It was delicious.
This year I'm shooting every one of those furry hoppity bastards I see.
They are tasty.

I was under the impression that you couldn't/shouldn't eat rabbit until the first heavy frost, old wives tale??
Never heard that. Rabbit season in NH opens oct 1 thats all I know.

Edit.....according to Steve Rinella (an expert i trust) that story about first frost is a crock of shit.

Back
Top Bottom