Gordon West study material

Based on the advice from a fellow ham, I went out and got the Gordon West General Exam study book AND the audio CDs. My assumption was that the CDs were to be used in conjunction with the book. I started paging through the book and quickly realized that it was going to suck to read due to my eyesight. I went to the website to see if they offered a PDF version of the book that I could read on my computer. I found the "Contact Us" link and clicked on it. Got the phone number (out in Southern California). It was just before 8:30pm here and figured I'd call it, and get a voice mail or recorded message.

Nope. Gordon West answered the phone. I explained my situation to him. He was so nice as he explained that the CDs I have can be used completely stand alone from the book as a study guide. He said that he pretty much paraphrases all of the questions in each section so that it isn't just a monotonous recitation of the questions. He went on to tell me that when I do take the test, I should call the VEC up and ask if they are capable of doing a test for a visually impaired person. They will read the questions to you and will omit any question with diagrams given that some of the symbols are on the small side. That was news to me...I had no idea that this was an option.

I have to say, he was extremely nice and so helpful.

His parting advice to me was, "Once you pass your General test, DON'T LET PEOPLE TELL YOU TO IMMEDIATELY STUDY FOR THE EXTRA....GET ON THE AIR." He said use HF for 6 months to a year and THEN start working on the Extra Class ticket.

That's great that he answers the phone and is so helpful! After you take the General you should, of course, try the Extra. But unless you are super into ham radio I wouldn't put a high priority on getting your Extra ticket. I'm an Extra and the main advantage for me, because I have a crappy memory, is that I don't have to remember those little slices of the bands I have to stay out of.

I've chatted briefly with Gordon a couple of times at Dayton; a very nice guy.

If it's not obvious, I don't think he means that on-air time is going to help you pass the /AE.

I think he means that you shouldn't let study for the Extra test get in the way of enjoying your ticket, especially the significant HF privs.

But...

Each test builds on the previous one and they all have the same flavor. A disadvantage of blowing off study for the Extra is that for many people it greatly increases the likelihood that they'll never get around to starting again. The rhythm of study is disturbed and memory of the more esoteric (== less useful) topics fades away.

Also, the current Extra question pool expires at the end of June, so if you screw around for just 3½ months you may feel the need to buy an entirely new set of study materials - are you willing to do that? The concepts will still apply, but you'll be stuck studying for the 125+ new questions without the detailed explanations you wanted to pay money for. (I don't understand how "new" a question has to be to count as "new" - just a change in the numbers for a math question, or brand new topics on (say) digital modes).

Someone who was going to get close to 50 out of 50 questions right, knows electronics and is a good guesser would probably still pass. However, a student who goes for the test when they're barely passing trial tests, or someone trying for 100% right, might have to restart from the start of new prep materials.

Q: How long did you have to study for the General after passing your Tech? The Extra has more questions, so you probably have to schedule more time than for the General.

(I have no experience using Gordon's stuff, and people worship the ground he walks on. So pardon me if there's some kind of deal on upgrade to new study materials at the end of a question pool cycle - I've never heard of such a thing, but wouldn't know).

hudsucker-clock-1.jpg

I've chatted briefly with Gordon a couple of times at Dayton; a very nice guy.

If it's not obvious, I don't think he means that on-air time is going to help you pass the /AE.

I think he means that you shouldn't let study for the Extra test get in the way of enjoying your ticket, especially the significant HF privs.

But...

Each test builds on the previous one and they all have the same flavor. A disadvantage of blowing off study for the Extra is that for many people it greatly increases the likelihood that they'll never get around to starting again. The rhythm of study is disturbed and memory of the more esoteric (== less useful) topics fades away.

Also, the current Extra question pool expires at the end of June, so if you screw around for just 3½ months you may feel the need to buy an entirely new set of study materials - are you willing to do that? The concepts will still apply, but you'll be stuck studying for the 125+ new questions without the detailed explanations you wanted to pay money for. (I don't understand how "new" a question has to be to count as "new" - just a change in the numbers for a math question, or brand new topics on (say) digital modes).

Someone who was going to get close to 50 out of 50 questions right, knows electronics and is a good guesser would probably still pass. However, a student who goes for the test when they're barely passing trial tests, or someone trying for 100% right, might have to restart from the start of new prep materials.

Q: How long did you have to study for the General after passing your Tech? The Extra has more questions, so you probably have to schedule more time than for the General.

(I have no experience using Gordon's stuff, and people worship the ground he walks on. So pardon me if there's some kind of deal on upgrade to new study materials at the end of a question pool cycle - I've never heard of such a thing, but wouldn't know).

hudsucker-clock-1.jpg

I get your point about HF experience not really prepping you for the Extra ticket. I'm not overly concerned about getting an AE ticket really. We'll see if that attitude changes once I get on the HF bands with a General ticket. I don't mind paying for the material...and if it takes a few months after the new pool take affect, so be it. I'm not going to stress over the Extra at this point.

Thanks for the reply.

As a VE, I advise people who have passed one element during a session to continue the session by giving the next exam element a shot.

You have already paid the $15 testing fee, there is no penalty for failure, you will still get the ticket you qualified for.

For the record you can make an attempt at all three elements for that one $15 fee (in succession naturally).

I get your point about HF experience not really prepping you for the Extra ticket. I'm not overly concerned about getting an AE ticket really. We'll see if that attitude changes once I get on the HF bands with a General ticket. I don't mind paying for the material...and if it takes a few months after the new pool take affect, so be it. I'm not going to stress over the Extra at this point.

Thanks for the reply.

Glad you see where I'm coming from. I'm not trying to be a slave-driver, just wanted to highlight some aspects.

Coincidentally, I looked at my 2002 ARRL Extra License Manual this weekend. Dang that puppy's thick...

Back
Top Bottom