Good place to take 6 yr old to fish

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
My son wants to go fishing, and I haven't fished more than once or twice in my life. Are there any good places near Newton MA, which would have possibly a fishing instructor where we could learn the basics and my son could try fishing for an afternoon?

My son wants to go fishing, and I haven't fished more than once or twice in my life. Are there any good places near Newton MA, which would have possibly a fishing instructor where we could learn the basics and my son could try fishing for an afternoon?

If you want you can meet me and my daughter (5yrs old) and catch some fish. There are a few places I know around that area. I took her last weekend and she had a good time.

However, if you put a worm on a bobber and throw it out to any fresh water chances are you will catch a fish.

Watertown square. Fish the boat dock. Lots of fish there and no skill needed. Just bait a hook, throw it in and hold on. You'll catch sunfish, bass, carp, eels, all sorts of fish there. Sometimes a striper or two that chases the herring up river.

There's a GIANT I mean GIANORMOUS snapping turtle that lives under the dock. He won't hurt you, just be aware that a huge head might pop out once in a while under all the birds there.

A real good place is down the Cove in Auburndale and also behind the burger king on moody st. There is a pipe there that goes into the Charles that always has tons of Bass. On a side note in the next few weeks the Charles down by Watertown square will have the stripers running. Make sure you get your $25.00 fresh water fishing permit, the fish and wildlife guys seem to be everywhere and like to fine for fishing without license, and if you catch any Herring (what the Stripers are feeding on) make sure to throw them back. Behind the Shaws on River St in Waltham is good too, there is a nice little foot bridge you can fish off of near the old rail road tressel or you can shore fish too. I'll probably see you around, I fish quite a bit. Let me know if you want someone to show you some pointers, patience and live bait are the key. I always have good success with worms. The little one will be realing in sunfish in no time.

jamaica pond is stocked with everything
and they'll go after most everything, just make sure that atleast you(dad) have a fishing lic.

The walkways that run along the Charles from Watertown Square to Waltham have some overlooks that jut out into the River. I've never fished it but I have seen many of the local kids fishing in these spots. It is all the same river.

OK, I don't know if this is a stupid question, but can you actually eat something you catch in the Charles river?

The only thing I would take are just pictures. Throw everything else back.

If anything just eat the stripers if you happen to catch one. Chances are they are not resident fish and migrate from the ocean.

A striper looks like this and it will take you for a nice fight especially in the current. They also need to be at least 28" in length to keep->
striped-bass.JPG

I went to school in weston for five years. We would go to lake cotichuate (not how you spell it I'm sure) to fish. Mostly just Sunfish but there were a few catfish. Its not really too exciting to for any experienced fisher,but its perfect for kids or a newbies.

Back
Top Bottom