Going into the Marines

I would like to share a few ideas to make your stay at club PI more exciting and eventful.

First getting mail is a great moral booster. You'll find it's a lot more fun if;
a) The address is incorrect and or spelled wrong.
b) Smiley faces,pink harts and peace signs adorn the envelops.
c) Scented with perfume.

Second the DI's will rudely get in your face often. You'll find this it a lot more fun if;
a) Stare into his eyes
b) Scratch yourself.
c) Use the words "I & You" when answering.

Follow these tips and you will find yourself at a place of high honor on the quarterdeck.[grin]

That's just mean.[rofl][devil2] But I like it.[laugh]

<snip>

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES GO OPEN CONTRACT! <snip>

*My recruiter never lied to me - I just failed to ask all the right questions! [wink]

Best advice in the thread !

Arpin38, Thanks for stepping up to serve.
usa2.gif
(Former Seabee here.)

I agree, in principle.

But I went open contract, I had no choice. Worked out okay.

I also raised my hand and volunteered a lot. Got me to Airborne School and a few others.....

Hey everyone, my ship date as of right now is December 28th, and im looking for some feedback about what recruit training was like, As well as any tips you may have for me to prepare for it. I have a good understanding of it right now, but im just wondering if what ive heard from others as well as what ive seen on the military channel is as accuarate as it seems.
And if anyone also knows a bit about Military Police i would appreciate any type of overview about what the job is like. Its my first choice right now, but it hasn't been guaranteed yet.

I appreciate the feedback

My son was disappointed that bootcamp wasn't as tough as he expected. He's been in the Marines a tad over 6 years, got his wings and 3 stripes and will probably do 30 years unless Obama makes the service intolerable. He's seen 3 tours in Iraq and spent 2 years in Okinawa. He is a crew chief on a ch46 sea knight helo but they are being retired. He's headed to flight school again to learn the Osprey.
He's been on top of an active volcano in the Philipines, had a suit made in Indonesia just a few months after the tidal wave hit, had a beer in Ireland, sailed through 2 typhoons, and flown over Mt. Fuji. You can't do that sorta stuff working at Walmart!

First off Thank you.
I was Navy but had a few jobs before going in at 20 yrs old. The service thinks that they get you from the womb and you don't know it if THEY didn't teach it to you. That was a little hard to get used to. That goes for folding you'r boxers to washing your ass.

Arpin38 - good luck at Boot!

I enlisted in the USMC Reserve, back in March, and I ship out at the end of this month; I'm excited and motivated to earn the title

Hey everyone, my ship date as of right now is December 28th, and im looking for some feedback about what recruit training was like, As well as any tips you may have for me to prepare for it. I have a good understanding of it right now, but im just wondering if what ive heard from others as well as what ive seen on the military channel is as accuarate as it seems.
And if anyone also knows a bit about Military Police i would appreciate any type of overview about what the job is like. Its my first choice right now, but it hasn't been guaranteed yet.

Disclaimer: I went in 1995 and some things are different now (for example we didn't have the Crucible.)

As far as prepping - try to get in tip-top physical shape before you go. If you're even close to "fat" or can't pass a PFT you'll go to a conditioning platoon before you even get to start. The guys that I knew who had to do that said it was pretty much hell.... Even if you are in decent shape, you really can't be too fit for Paris Island. So: get out and run. Do lots of pull-ups and sit-ups and make sure you're the right weight. (Just don't try to do too much too fast or you might get hurt. That would be bad.)

Once that's out of the way - get mentally prepared. You need to know that the DI's job is to make you uncomfortable (mainly just through 1st phase.) Just accept it and roll with the punches. It's going to suck for the first month or so but you'll get through it. Thousands before you have played rack drills and scuzz brush drills, etc. We made it, so can you. Boot camp really isn't that hard if you have the right attitude.

Most importantly - have fun! Even if you don't think so at the time, you'll eventually look upon boot camp with fond memories. Some of the shit that the DI's did was pretty damn funny in retrospect. You'll meet some of the best friends you'll ever have. (I should say have fun inside your head. You don't want the DIs to think that you're having fun.)

As for MPs, all I can tell you that I had a buddy who took that track (he wanted to be civilian LEO when he got out.) He hated it and ended up lat moving to amphibious vehicles as soon as he could. If your goal is to be a LEO, don't think that you necessarily HAVE to do MPs...

Arpin38 - good luck at Boot!

I enlisted in the USMC Reserve, back in March, and I ship out at the end of this month; I'm excited and motivated to earn the title

Just curious, but why reserves? I'm not saying anything bad about them but these days they get called up almost as much as active duty guys.

I'll leave you with the same thing my recruiter told me before I shipped off in '85. You'll have 13 "fun filled weeks" on the Island. Enjoy it.

Semper Fi and best of luck. Here's to a great tour of duty.

As a SSgt with over 16 years of active service in the MC right now I will tell you this,
the first 72 hours it is a "kick in the nuts". It's a big shock, and everybody wants to quit. You joined us, we didn't join you. Because of that you have to bite down (hang on). If you can make it three weeks it will all start to click: you will start to understand things. I REPEAT - You must hang on / make it 3 weeks. If you can do that and stay healthy you will become a Marine. Never forget once a Marine, always a Marine. That title lasts forever. You do this - when you are a old man and die off there will be Marines right there at your funeral paying their respects.
Good Luck & God Speed.
smitty

Jasons - I'm going into the reserves, not because I do not want to be deployed, but because I wish to do two things:
1. Become a U.S. Marine
2. Maintain my civilian job - I have worked hard in both education and work to pursue my career goals, and I do not want to leave that entirely behind.

The reserves will allow me to do both of those things.

I fully expect to be deployed; whether it is sooner or later, doesn't matter to me. I am motivated to earn the title and will be proud to serve.

Jasons - I'm going into the reserves, not because I do not want to be deployed, but because I wish to do two things:
1. Become a U.S. Marine
2. Maintain my civilian job - I have worked hard in both education and work to pursue my career goals, and I do not want to leave that entirely behind.

The reserves will allow me to do both of those things.

I fully expect to be deployed; whether it is sooner or later, doesn't matter to me. I am motivated to earn the title and will be proud to serve.

First, thanks for joining and thanks in advance for your service. I don't know your situation with your job, but I do know that many reservists find it very difficult to keep civilian jobs with the frequent deployments these days. Every situation is different though so maybe that's not an issue for you. Either way, Semper Fi.

Back
Top Bottom