Glocks and Steel case

mikelawtown

NES Member
I have a Bud who got into a small heated discussion with a certain Shop in NH on steel cased 9mm. Guy said you shouldn't be shooting steel in your Glock at all. He said to the guy at the ammo counter that when he bought his gen 2 New the spent casings in the envelope contained 2 steel casings. ?????? Does it say anywhere at all in the Booklet glock gives you on not using steel? I don't think

People are retarded.

I have shot tons of steel cased ammo through my G19/26 with no issues whatsoever. Ive even shot brass after steel cased which can theoretically contribute to stuck cases but never seen it.

seems many people get steel or bimetal bullets confused with steel cases.....those are totally different topics.

i shoot a lot so i am always looking for cheap ammo....thus steel cased ammo serves a purpose. Most people i meet who also shoot a good amount seem to use steel cased as well.....then there are a group of ammo elitists who probably shoot 1 magazine per month claiming all steel cased ammo is trash.

personally i listen to the people who shoot a ton and hit their targets. Also i like being able to clean up my spent cases with a giant magnet....rather convenient.

I've shot steel case tula and whatever other junk is out there, reloads, copper plated reloads, and factory. I pretty much shoot only reloads....never an issue.

Clean after the lead if you shoot it is all.

Glock has a full wear part warranty anyway, if your worried about wear parts with steel.

It's HK that recommends not using steel cased ammunition.

HK pistols are more expensive and of higher quality than Glocks, so... [grin]

Last edited:
I looked up the topic upon receipt of my first Glock [smile].
The only answer I've heard that makes sense is regarding shooting one after the other; ie. shooting steel case and then shooting brass before cleaning.
The theory I was told was that when fired the brass casing expands more and thus blocks misc. gasses and any unburned powder from blowing back inside the chamber. Because steel cases don't expand and seal off said chamber as well, shooting steel first will make it "dirty" and then shooting brass directly afterwards can cause excess stress on the extractor since the brass can get wedged from the small debris upon expansion.
BS, maybe..But even if true all it means it if you're going to shoot steel case, keep everything steel cased on that outing, then clean and use brass if you like.

I looked up the topic upon receipt of my first Glock [smile].
The only answer I've heard that makes sense is regarding shooting one after the other; ie. shooting steel case and then shooting brass before cleaning.
The theory I was told was that when fired the brass casing expands more and thus blocks misc. gasses and any unburned powder from blowing back inside the chamber. Because steel cases don't expand and seal off said chamber as well, shooting steel first will make it "dirty" and then shooting brass directly afterwards can cause excess stress on the extractor since the brass can get wedged from the small debris upon expansion.
BS, maybe..But even if true all it means it if you're going to shoot steel case, keep everything steel cased on that outing, then clean and use brass if you like.

That issue is true for any firearm....not unique to glocks.

ive tested it on pretty much every gun ive owned, including rifles, and never managed to generate stuck brass. However ive done the test with firing steel cased 5.56 rapidly through a mini 14, then letting the rifle cool down completely with a round chambered.....and indeed both times the round would fire but couldnt extract after the hot-cool cycle.

I have a Bud who got into a small heated discussion with a certain Shop in NH on steel cased 9mm. Guy said you shouldn't be shooting steel in your Glock at all. He said to the guy at the ammo counter that when he bought his gen 2 New the spent casings in the envelope contained 2 steel casings. ?????? Does it say anywhere at all in the Booklet glock gives you on not using steel? I don't think

Is it the shop with the blown up glock on display?

Last edited:
in the glock classes i have taken, i was told to never use reloaded ammo. However, I have used it from time to time with no issues. If you use cast just give your glock some TLC while cleaning it thats all.

the people who claim not to shoot reloads are the same people who don't reload.

Back
Top Bottom