Glock 35 in 9mm USPSA

Looking for info as to whether a glock 35 with the conversion barrel is legal for competition in USPSA in whatever the stock division is. I've shot some IDPA in the past and from my understanding the legality of doing this is really just if you get caught of not. I shoot only 9 and 45 currently, but just like the idea that I could go to 40 if I wanted to given my loose understanding of power factor scoring or simply a "what ammo is available."

I'm mostly interested in the USPSA part because I think I'm more interested in that shooting style.

Not legal in USPSA production, no matter if you get caught or not.
Bump to open would be the penalty. Definitely a bit rough when you get caught, but you will only do it once.

Shoot it in limited minor 9mm if you want, or stick with 40 in limited or production. Limited you could score major, but production you would still be score minor.

Hope to see you out shooting this season!

Steve

As Steve said you can't use the conversion barrel for USPSA Production...do you have the stock barrel? if you have the stock barrel and you reload then you could just run 40 in minor for Production, or with major pf loads in Limited or Limited 10, or shoot minor with the conversion barrel in Limited or Limited 10. a lot of options if you have both barrels. there will be other equipment considerations if you plan on bouncing between divisions (holster type, etc) so be aware of those as well. Local matches are fairly laid back but there's no point in getting used to lax rules and then having to adjust everything you do when you decide to shoot a major match, DAMHIK.

if you're looking to get started in USPSA there will be some intro courses coming up that you should keep an eye out for. I'll plug the Hopkinton Sportsmans Association course not only because I help teach it but because it's a great take; two days of classroom and live fire training for short dough. That should be late March to get new shooters ready for the outdoor season in April. Other clubs also put on shorter courses which are great as well.

Peter

I don't have a 35, but I'm looking to get a 34 for this and simply would like one. I used my 17 in an IDPA intro match and did decent. I would slap on a 34 complete slide and use that, but there are no factory ones to be found.

So is there really a disadvantage to shooting minor? I see people say that in forums, but noone says why. Are minor and major kept separate for scoring? So for a match there will be a major and minor winner in each division or....

Also what is the reasoning behind this rule. I get that it isn't out of the box shooting, but I don't think any serious use pistol is never left in such a configuration. I'm not doing it to get a competitive advantage, just an economical one, especially when they are hard/expensive to get in mass.

Production is only scored in minor.

Other divisions are not separated by minor/major.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but a G34 slide on a G17 frame is still a no go for Production ?

I don't have a 35, but I'm looking to get a 34 for this and simply would like one. I used my 17 in an IDPA intro match and did decent. I would slap on a 34 complete slide and use that, but there are no factory ones to be found.

So is there really a disadvantage to shooting minor? I see people say that in forums, but noone says why. Are minor and major kept separate for scoring? So for a match there will be a major and minor winner in each division or....

Also what is the reasoning behind this rule. I get that it isn't out of the box shooting, but I don't think any serious use pistol is never left in such a configuration. I'm not doing it to get a competitive advantage, just an economical one, especially when they are hard/expensive to get in mass.

Competitors within a division compete against each other whether shooting minor or major. Minor earns fewer points for B/C/D hits and is usually a disadvantage. The reasoning behind the rule is that production division is for stock guns, not heavily modified or purpose-build competition guns. The appendix of the rulebook has a list of modifications that are allowed for production. If it's not listed, it's not production legal.

Production is only scored in minor.

Other divisions are not separated by minor/major.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but a G34 slide on a G17 frame is still a no go for Production ?

yes, but its BS. A 34 and 17 frame is identical. Nobody checks serial numbers at majors because there is no reason to. I hate when ppl get going on this rule.

IMHO, you might be better off buying a 34 to shoot production and building a second top end in .40 if you want to shoot limited /limited 10. The 34 with a few minor upgrades, is ready to shoot production.... If I was going to shoot limited in 40 I would be be doing some more serious slide / barrel work anyway so you might as well build the top end the way you want instead of trying to work around the existing 35 top end.

Lone wolf stripped 35 slides are not that expensive, or there is other options for more advanced "lightened " slides from other companies

Just to stir the pot a little more: G 34 and 35s are legal for Production in the US only. They won't fit in the IPSC Production box. As far as lightened slides go, I believe the stock 34 and 35 slides are lightened. I think this is done so that these slides will be compatible with the standard (four inch) recoil springs and guides.

yes, but its BS. A 34 and 17 frame is identical. Nobody checks serial numbers at majors because there is no reason to. I hate when ppl get going on this rule.

He asked if it's legal. You're saying you won't get caught. Those are two different issues.

The problem with this is that there's nothing in the rules about matching serial numbers. The rules do say you may replace the slide with a like/kind. Who's to say you didn't replace the slide. Different serial numbers in no way indicates cheating. One might have two top ends. Lots of guys have them for for a dedicated plate gun for instance. Or maybe a different set of sights.

The rule is pretty clear. A serial number mismatch certainly doesn't indicate cheating, usually. For example, if you showed up at chrono with a 9mm Glock with a "DPDxxxx" frame serial number, that might get you a bump to Open.

SLIDES: Current rules remain in effect – You may
replace the slide with an OEM or aftermarket slide
which is of the same length, contour and caliber as
the original slide for that model of gun.

The rule is pretty clear. A serial number mismatch certainly doesn't indicate cheating, usually. For example, if you showed up at chrono with a 9mm Glock with a "DPDxxxx" frame serial number, that might get you a bump to Open.

SLIDES: Current rules remain in effect – You may
replace the slide with an OEM or aftermarket slide
which is of the same length, contour and caliber as
the original slide for that model of gun.

Maybe, but I think earthshine402 is on it. I just can't imagine USPSA disqualifying a competitor for using an identical frame, all things being equal.

Maybe, but I think earthshine402 is on it. I just can't imagine USPSA disqualifying a competitor for using an identical frame, all things being equal.

USPSA screwed people when they pulled a mag out of their front pocket in SS at LMR. People should petition HQ to get this changed too

The problem with this is that there's nothing in the rules about matching serial numbers. The rules do say you may replace the slide with a like/kind. Who's to say you didn't replace the slide. Different serial numbers in no way indicates cheating. One might have two top ends. Lots of guys have them for for a dedicated plate gun for instance. Or maybe a different set of sights.

Matching serial numbers is not the problem. To the best of my knowledge Glock slides do not have serial numbers. Unfortunately, the serial number on the frame will indicate which model it is. This means that a serial number check will indicate which slide and barrel should be on the frame. This whole issue is pure BS. Placing a five in barrel and slide on a receiver which left the factory as a four inch offers absolutely NO advantage over a stock five inch gun, except the possibility that the shooter might save himself (or herself) a few $. It has been my experience that USPSA BOD rulings have consistently made the gun manufacturers and gunsmiths wealthy at the expense of the shooters.

Matching serial numbers is not the problem. To the best of my knowledge Glock slides do not have serial numbers. Unfortunately, the serial number on the frame will indicate which model it is. This means that a serial number check will indicate which slide and barrel should be on the frame. This whole issue is pure BS. Placing a five in barrel and slide on a receiver which left the factory as a four inch offers absolutely NO advantage over a stock five inch gun, except the possibility that the shooter might save himself (or herself) a few $. It has been my experience that USPSA BOD rulings have consistently made the gun manufacturers and gunsmiths wealthy at the expense of the shooters.

The original intent of the production rules was to keep guns in an "as-shipped" condition, at least externally. You couldn't add a longer barrel or slide, or do anything else that you normally could in another division. Unfortunately, it never occurred to them at the time that you could convert a G17 to a G34, which is also a legal production pistol. Oops. So the rules, as written, don't allow you to do that. It's not a matter of taking a G34 slide and swapping frames, you're taking a G17 and putting on a longer slide and barrel, which is against the rules. The irony, of course, is that you wound up with a gun that's indistinguishable from another valid production model.

The result should be a change to the rules, but until they do, it's illegal. Silly, but illegal.

And no, you probably won't get caught at it. Certainly, at the local match level no one gives a damn. I have no idea if anyone actually checks this, but at a level III match you might just get moved to Open.

Oh, and Glock slides do have the serial number on them. Of course, it's legal to swap slides from an identical model, just not a different one.

Last edited:
Of course, all this is moot now that we've entered the CZ Custom shop era. The ones I've shot are just tad less than my limited pistol, and I mean just a tad less.

Honestly... the equipment race in production is getting a little F'd up IMO. The Tangfolio Stock 2s are by most measures a full out Limited caliber gun. The new Shadows are crazy expensive and are taking the guns to the limits. I find it amusing that some would have said in the past that the G34 wasn't a real "practical" production type gun... that's funny huh? Now personally I say bring it on... but it's getting to be a joke.

Lugnut is correct but equipment racing is part of the zeitgeist (look it up be-otchs!) of USPSA. Maybe it's time for a new division. Look at drag racing, there's a division for everything.

Back
Top Bottom