ghost holster problem

I've been using the Ghost for about a year and over the last couple of weeks I've had a problem drawing the gun after the holster is unlocked. Seems that ball that blocks the trigger guard is staying put. Only way to get the gun out of the holster is to rock it side to side. Needless to say, this is dangerous, won't impress the RO, and I'm done on a stage before I've even started. Anyone seen this problem? Is it all the humidity we're having?

Is the locking lever working correctly in both directions? When it is unlocked try pushing on the ball with your finger to make sure if it is moving freely. Try a bit of spray lube like Remoil on the ball and in the lever mechanism.

Make sure the little white plastic screws that take up the end shake in the holster are adjusted properly - especially the one in the bottom.

Lastly, there is a little spring-loaded black lever inside the holster. It works like a small fulcrum. When you put your pistol in, the front of the trigger guard pushes on the bottom half of the lever and the top of it (which you can not see because the gun is in the way) swings into the trigger guard on the opposite side of the ball. This is really what keeps the pistol from falling out when the holster is not locked. Make sure this is also working properly. It almost sounds like this is not releasing in time when you draw.

What kind of pistol are you using and which model Ghost do you have? I know mine does not like my Para but my STI's work perfectly in it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'll check it over when I get home tonight and get back to you. I think it's the ultimate and my gun is an STI. Have had no problems up until now.

No problem. Let me know how you make out. I forgot to mention that the lever the trigger guard pushes on is spring loaded so as you pull your pistol out and release pressure on the bottom it springs back out of the trigger guard. Make sure the spring action is working.

The black rocking lever is fine. The problem seems to be the cylindrical plate the ball sits on. After the locking mechanism is released the ball is not easily depressed; the cylindrical plate is stuck in it's "up" or "out" position. Should I try to take those two small black screws out of the locking mechanism? Any idea what I will be looking at in there?

I've been using the Ghost for about a year and over the last couple of weeks I've had a problem drawing the gun after the holster is unlocked. Seems that ball that blocks the trigger guard is staying put. Only way to get the gun out of the holster is to rock it side to side. Needless to say, this is dangerous, won't impress the RO, and I'm done on a stage before I've even started. Anyone seen this problem? Is it all the humidity we're having?

Nice holster, try graphite lube that lock smiths use, the oil will attract dust and possibly compound the problem.

Last edited:
Its because its a cheap piece of shit.

That's constructive. [rolleyes]

I guess that is why so many competitors in open and limited division use this holster. After trying about 4 or 5 different competiton holsters over the past several years I have found this to be one of the best.

Zena - I'll take a look at mine when I get home and see if I can understand what you are talking about and get back to you on it.

Do those black screws cause the cylindrical plate to move in and out on your holster?

If the black screws are turned into far or there is dirt on the cylindrical plate. then the plate will not move smoothly causing the ball to stick.

I used Rem-oil on the ball and plate and backed the screws out.

Just to update you: cleaned and lubed it. Still locked up. Took it apart and found that the black plastic "cup" the ball sits on is locking up in that brass ring. And locking up hard. It does not slide in and out the way it is supposed to. Several people looked at it and couldn't find any obvious reason i.e. a burr on either partner. But it was suggested to use a very fine sand paper on that black plastic cup. Any comments or suggestions?

Zena- without looking at it myself, I would not want to tell you to modify anything. Perhaps SM has some more ideas. Other wise, if you plan on attending any USPSA matches in the near future I am sure one of us (or several others) would be more than willing to look at it with you and try to figure out the problem.

Did you try contacting Ghost for some tech support?

Haven't contacted Ghost yet. Thought I would get to it yesterday but I had quite a Monday. Hope to find time today. Thanks for input.

Update on Ghost

Last Wednesday I talked to Ghost and they asked me to send it back to them. Friday afternoon Robert from Ghost called to say they had looked at it and it did indeed have indentations from the screws on the plastic cup. (Not owning a hex of that size I had never touched the screws. Not sure how they got tightened down.) They thought perhaps I had fallen or gone prone in the holster (nope) but were happy to replace the part, check it for proper function and send it back to me. I had the holster in my hands yesterday, took it to the range and it is working perfectly. All in all, I'm really happy with the service from Ghost. The holster was out of my possession for only a week and it only cost me my shipping to send it out to them. No charge for their time or to ship it back to me. They are a class act. Thanks to all who used some brain power on my behalf. Zena

Back
Top Bottom