Getting my gun to Alaska

So, here's a (minor) pickle:

I want to get my 1911 from MA to Alaska. If I were flying out of Logan, this would not be a problem (notwithstanding the reliability of flights out of Logan!), but I am unfortunately flying out of JFK in NY. Any suggestions?

You couldn't pay me to transit NY or NJ with a handgun. I think some of the airports finally started respecting FOPA, but maybe some other members know the secret incantations to prevent arrest by the port authority thugs.

-Mike

drgrant is right, FOPA theoretically legally protects you in this situation, but I'm not sure I'd try it myself. Another solution, if you're comfortable with it- you could FedEx it to yourself wherever you are staying in AK.

drgrant is right, FOPA theoretically legally protects you in this situation, but I'm not sure I'd try it myself. Another solution, if you're comfortable with it- you could FedEx it to yourself wherever you are staying in AK.

Or if you're really concerned, find a FFL in AK and see if you can ship to them and pick it up there. Probably the best bet since, IIRC, shipping a firearm through a common carrier usually is limited to overnight delivery (so it spends less time in their system, subject to theft).

That's only handguns that need to be overnighted.

It's up to you whether you want to chance it. If you do, just drive slowly. Once you're at the counter and checking in, it should not be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom