Get the Lead Out Shoot June 30 at Southborough Rod & Gun

MisterHappy

NES Member
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
Effective July 1, our Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays ranges will be for non-tox shot (e.g. steel and bismuth) only, so.......

In observance of this, we're holding a Get the Lead Out shot on the 30th. We'll have "regular" Trap, and other games like Backup and Adios, depending on interest and attendance.

Oh, and some species of free eats, too....so get there early!

See you at the Top of the Hill....and Bring a Friend!

I have been fearing the lead ban myself for all clubs. I am all set to go to steel shot. EXCEPT I can not find a vendor for bulk steel shot. ??

Please indulge me a technical question . . .

Does the gun need to be rated/designed for steel shot?

For instance, will Rem 1100 skeet/trap guns vintage 1970s or Citoris vintage 1980s be potentially damaged shooting steel shot?

I seem to recall when the initial steel shot initiative came about that folks were claiming that they needed to replace barrels with barrels rated for steel shot or risk damage to the gun?

Please indulge me a technical question . . .

Does the gun need to be rated/designed for steel shot?

For instance, will Rem 1100 skeet/trap guns vintage 1970s or Citoris vintage 1980s be potentially damaged shooting steel shot?

I seem to recall when the initial steel shot initiative came about that folks were claiming that they needed to replace barrels with barrels rated for steel shot or risk damage to the gun?

When the switch was originally decided upon, we did some research. The general rule that was "discovered" is that most guns made since the mid-70s are fine for steel, as long as the choke is not Full. If you have a concern, it's best to contact the manufacturer.

Now, several members of my club have high-end trap guns (that's a problem that I don't have! [smile]) and one called Kreighoff (IIRC) and was told "No steel shot" though it's only a few years old. Do I think that a K-80 that's recent will have problems? I can't see why, but were there to be problems, you'd be SOL there...

At a guess, the 1100 should be fine, and the citroi as well. The 1100, being a semi-auto, has a thicker barrel wall than most doubles; the Citori is recent enough that even though it's a double, it would be engineered to handle it.

I'd not use in in my Parkers.

As for the full choke...supposedly the tight restriction can casue "ringing" of the barrel at the choke. As a practical matter, steel tends to pattern more tightly, so you'll likely get the same effectiveness with a Modified choke with Steel, as with Full with Lead.

Obviously, this was a subject of discussion, and since it's of interest to a few folks here, I'll post "in the field" reports as we go forward.

LenS, thanks for the question, and please (everyone) keep them coming.....

Oh, as an aside: We've instituted a new competition: the MAN (or WOMAN) OF STEEL - we're going to have a special award for the first 25/50/75/100 straights shot by members.....my kid is already drooling over that one! [laugh]

like to find a bulk supplier maybe 500lbs or so ?
Im shocked the the K gun "was TOLD no steel" being this is the way to come. I know many trap/skeet/clays course that are close to water that need to shoot steel.
Several clubs up on the north shore come to mind.

I just cant see any of the high end uro guns being no steel as I think theres a lead ban in most of those countries.
I know theres a simular water fowl lead ban shot in UK like ours...
Steel shot would be a much easier and profit on recycle shot for the club ????

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom