• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

German Luger P08

Hi. If anyone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. I am currently in the market for a German Luger P08. I would prefer one from WW2, but WW1 or other models would suffice. Some of the pricing research I have done seems to be a bit old. I figure for a pretty nice standard Luger, I would have to pay between $1000 and $1500. If I am wrong about this, please let me know. There are 2 that I am interested in at joesalter.com. First, has anyone dealt with Joe Salter or Downeast Antiques? The item numbers I am interested in are 25119 or 25273. Please let me know if these are priced appropriately. I don't mind spending the money when its worth it. I just don't want to be taken.
Thanks

They are certainly a well built firearm- beautiful, well balanced and intriguing. I have a few of the 1941 black widows and they are chock full of history.
I would say that for the price point of your search, there might be better out there. A quick search of gunbroker came up with this- http://www.gunbroker.com/item/578125627
The crazy part about old guns is they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them :)

I know Kittery Trading Post had two a month or so ago. They were in great condition. I almost got one but ended up getting a GI 1911

You have to be careful. Many are mix-master parts making them worth 1/2 or less of the value of an all matching sample. Others were refinished, again adversely affecting value.

You might wait just a bit for Pack & Postal to re-open (IIRC they took some time off), as Joe Dube is quite an expert in old guns.

Pack & Postal for sure. And there was one at Patriot Arms in Ipswich last time I checked.

The important thing is to know exactly what to look for, so you don't get taken. Finding lugers isn't that hard, finding all matching, original ones takes some knowledge. You can probably accomplish both at Pack & Postal as their specialty is mil-surp guns and Joe is a walking encyclopedia of knowledge.

like stated there are many Lugers out there some are mix-master,and some that are re refinished that are short money. These make good shooters.On the other hand you have some nice ones that are big money,and many people buy them just for investment,and don't shoot them.Most parts on LUGERS have serial numbers, an all matching luger holds a higher value than a non matching one.So if you take an all matching luger shooting,and a part breaks you just de valued that gun big time.I have two,one is mix that I shoot all the time.The other is an all matching one that is mostly a safe queen,but I do take it out every year,and put a magazine threw it.

I have three P.08s. One is a 1915 DWM that is in damn near perfect shape, even retaining some of the straw on the trigger, safety and ejector. I have shot that one only once, just for the sake of shooting it. That is pretty much my only safe queen gun. I may shoot it again one day, but it's kind of silly to do that and risk breaking a part on all original and matching 100-year old Luger when I have two others that are fine shooters. The other two: a 1941 byf mostly-matching but I had to replace the rear toggle, and the extractor.
1915P08.jpg

The last one I bought was several years ago and it was a train wreck. A 1917 DWM that was originally an artillary model but had been reworked at some German factory during WWII and had a 4" barrel installed, and the rear toggle replaced (as the artillary models had no rear sight on the rear toggle). It came with a WWII holster, two WWII magazines and a WWII takedown tool. It was nickel-plated at some point in it's life, presumably under the ownership of the GI who brought it back to the states during or after WWII. When I bought this whole rig, for a whopping $200, (the holster alone is worth at least that), the gun was completely seized up and you couldn't even remove the magazine. I had to soak the whole thing in kroil overnight just to get things moving. It wasn't easy. The toggle train wouldn't move at first and slowly started to let up. The striker was seized inside the breech block. It took hours to free everything up without smashing it to pieces with a hammer. It must have sat in that holster for many years in a dank basement. The rust was unbelievable. The next day, after completely dis assembling the gun and cleaning every corner, I took it to the range and fired four magazines through it. Not one hiccup. I was amazed.
19171.jpg
19172.jpg

Pictured below is an Imperial P.08 I saw in a museum in Southern Ireland when I was there in 2010. The plaque next to the gun said it was reportedly carried by Michael Collins, though there is no proof to back that up. He was known to carry a Webley revolver.
collinsluger.jpg

Shoot a P08 then a P38. I bet you'll buy a P38 first. I just like the feel of the P38 better.

Shoot a P08 then a P38. I bet you'll buy a P38 first. I just like the feel of the P38 better.

I had an all original AC43 P38 for years and ended up selling it to fund another P.08. For some reason I couldn't hit anything with that P.38 and there was seemingly nothing wrong with the barrel. Very odd. The P.38 is a way more reliable, cost effective, and user friendly than a P.08, that is for sure. I still prefer the Luger though.

I found what I thought was a nice one at Pack and Postal last week. It is a byf 42 with all matching serial numbers including the grips and magazine. Here is one picture. I can't seem to get the others to load

luger-3.jpg

A couple questions while we are on the subject:

I noticed at Pack and Postal there were quite a few P08's with the 'red tag'. These were not for sale in Massachusetts. How does that work for such an old pistol? Capacity & semi-auto trumps antique?

Getting a C&R takes care of that issue, but seems like a real PITA for just a couple acquisitions. If I only had to log what was acquired under the C&R, fine. If I have to catalog everything that was in the safe prior to the C&R, nope. Necessary to catalog everything in the safe? Thanks...

I noticed at Pack and Postal there were quite a few P08's with the 'red tag'. These were not for sale in Massachusetts. How does that work for such an old pistol? Capacity & semi-auto trumps antique?

Getting a C&R takes care of that issue, but seems like a real PITA for just a couple acquisitions. If I only had to log what was acquired under the C&R, fine. If I have to catalog everything that was in the safe prior to the C&R, nope. Necessary to catalog everything in the safe? Thanks...

You only log what you acquire while you hold a valid C&R ,, yes you need to log out anything CR status if you dispose of it....under a valid CR license... a few old timers I know let their CRs expire,now and then
For the 30$ it's worth it for me in the discounts from some vendors.

1 - its not an antique. Antique is prior to 1899 manufacture, not just model number. E.g. some 1898 Krags are antique but most won't be.

2 - its a handgun and subject to MA approved roster so if its not on the roster, it can't be transferred to an LTC holder by a dealer.

3 - C&R solves this problem.

Pack and Postal is open Monday through Friday 10 AM to 5 PM. I work the night shift, so it is pretty easy for me to get up there during the day. They had many Lugers for sale. for some reason, I didn't spend any time checking out anything else. I guess I was too excited about the Luger. I used my C&R to purchase the gun, that way I did not have to worry about any lists. I just renewed my C&R. Over the 3 years I have had it, I have bought 10 guns using it. There are places that will ship eligible guns directly to you with a C&R, including items on GB.

Pack and Postal is open Monday through Friday 10 AM to 5 PM. I work the night shift, so it is pretty easy for me to get up there during the day. They had many Lugers for sale. for some reason, I didn't spend any time checking out anything else. I guess I was too excited about the Luger. I used my C&R to purchase the gun, that way I did not have to worry about any lists. I just renewed my C&R. Over the 3 years I have had it, I have bought 10 guns using it. There are places that will ship eligible guns directly to you with a C&R, including items on GB.

Yeah, maybe I should stop dragging my feet and go for the C&R...

Back
Top Bottom