Georgia minister sues to take guns to church

RichM

Retired Army Veteran
Georgia minister sues to take guns to church

By Rhonda Cook

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A Thomaston minister and a gun rights advocacy group is filing lawsuit challenging Georgia’s prohibition against guns in church, a move that was predicted after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled last month the Second Amendment's guarantee of an individual right to bear arms applied to state and local gun control laws.

The suit, mailed Friday to the Superior Court in Upson County, is brought by GeorgiaCarry.org; the Baptist Tabernacle of Thomaston; Ed Stone, the president of GeorgiaCarry.org and the Rev. Jonathan Wilkins. The suit lists Upson County and the state as defendants.

Those for less as well as more restrictions on guns had said last month places of worship would be the next battle over where permitted gun owners can take their weapons. Georgia law was changed this year to remove the prohibitions of guns at “public gatherings” but it banned firearms in certain places – places of worship, government buildings, schools, nuclear power plants and bars without the owner’s permission.

© 2010 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

This looks interesting... it seems that they're directly challanging the "restrictions" allowed in Heller & in McDonald.

I find it offensive that the state has a law in place making it illegal to be armed on private property that has nothing to do with anyone outside of it. All the recent church shootings just make this worse. Although interestingly, none of Georgia's gun laws apply to LE or active duty military, whether on or off duty.

I find it offensive that the state has a law in place making it illegal to be armed on private property that has nothing to do with anyone outside of it. All the recent church shootings just make this worse. Although interestingly, none of Georgia's gun laws apply to LE or active duty military, whether on or off duty.

Ultimately you will find that is the line that is drawn and the states restrictions can't intrude on private property rights (though alcohol establishments may be the exception). Even though this case is being filed on 1A grounds, at the end of the day you will likely find that TX's signage approach falls close to where we land in 10-15 years of litigation.

Arkansas and Louisiana (among others) have the same prohibition, and it's a complete 1A violation. Louisiana just passed the most bastardized "reform" I've ever seen: they will now "allow" licensed concealed carriers, who are part of a designated security team, to carry concealed handguns. IF they complete and document 8 hours of tactical training a year, and IF there is recurring announcement from the pulpit or in the church newsletter.

I always challenge people to answer: What is a church or "similar place of worship"? Seriously, what is it? I know some pagans who could get the entire outdoors banned if they were of a mind to. I know lots of Christian congregations that have grown out of "home church"; are those home bible studies to be off limits as well?

There are a number of states that need to have this abominable prohibition overturned.

Back
Top Bottom