Garden 2012 thread.....BARGAIN ALERT

this years plan: lettuce tomatoes cucumbers eggplant peppers green and red maybe some arugula. I'd like to try potatoes haven't done them yet. Summer squash zucchini cauliflower too maybe even some asparagus this year. Plus the Herb garden with basil thyme scallions garlic and bay..
Anyone know if there is a certain breed of cucumbers to grow for pickling?

I've opted to stick with Marketmore Cucumbers, they grow to full size slicers but can be picked early for pickling. It's a good all-around type, also sticking with one type I don't have to worry about cross pollination and getting some monster fruit or not be able to save seeds. It's important we get slicers and pickles as the wife loves pickles and I love regular cukes.. and I won't touch a pickle and she won't touch a regular cuke.

Potatoes are great fun to do in a barrel, Google it. Super easy. I'm going to take it up a notch and get cracking on building a box out of pallets for this purpose.

Last edited:
The tomatoes would look fine, but the spots and yellowing are on the stems and leaves. I have heard that I should move the location of the tomato plants too but I only have one planting bed and a very limited back yard. I also get my soil from the town's compost, so I'm not sure if they're filtering it.

This summer I am also going to be planting Chives, Basil and Cucumbers. I've only had the best luck with these so I'm going to stick with it ...

Not sure what you mean by filtering the compost but I would be leery of it as well. It may contain some pretty good herbicides in it that can really do a number on your garden. Another option, depending on how many tomatoes you grow, is to containerize them. We have used 5 gal buckets with great success but it takes frequent watering and attention.

This year I am taking advantage of the tree damage from October's blizzard. Cutting down all the damaged trees and trees near the powerlines so I can plant dwarf hazzlenuts, almonds and cherries. It will be a few years before any harvests but hopefully worth it!

Another option, depending on how many tomatoes you grow, is to containerize them. We have used 5 gal buckets with great success but it takes frequent watering and attention.

I think I'll do that this year, should work well. I also have a Water Collection system of about 120 Gallons, so watering is not a problem (only when we have a drought).

What do you think of people who think they are gardeners because they have two Topsy Turvy Upside-Down Tomato Planters?

I think I'll do that this year, should work well. I also have a Water Collection system of about 120 Gallons, so watering is not a problem (only when we have a drought).

What do you think of people who think they are gardeners because they have two Topsy Turvy Upside-Down Tomato Planters?

I think they are making more of an effort than those that dont have anything. I have never seen those things work though. Drive around in Aug and see all the dead dry tomato vines hanging from peoples porches.

I think they are making more of an effort than those that dont have anything. I have never seen those things work though. Drive around in Aug and see all the dead dry tomato vines hanging from peoples porches.

^^THIS^^ They dry out way too fast in the heat of summer. On real hot days, you may have to water 3 times. This is something to be concerned about with containerized tomatoes as well. They will need more frequent watering, than ground dwelling plants. It can be done, depending on the forecast temperatures. If you are going to be away all day, water first thing in the morning, and then when you return, if needed. An inexpensive moisture meter is a great tool to have. This should prevent over watering. Tomatoes like constant moisture, but not a lot of 'wet' soil.

My wife has used the Gardener's Supply tomato planter thing with pretty good results. She was getting quite a few beans and tomatoes out of it(relative to its size) last year. You are right, though. You do need to water them.

This year I want to have another go at a real garden. I am going to pick about 20 different heirloom veggies and see if I can grow them. I tried this a few years ago and it didn't go too well. Hardly anything sprouted. I think I need to do a better job prepping the soil, and make sure it gets watered consistently. It's odd, I remember growing corn and beans as a kid and having no trouble.

I've opted to stick with Marketmore Cucumbers, they grow to full size slicers but can be picked early for pickling. It's a good all-around type, also sticking with one type I don't have to worry about cross pollination and getting some monster fruit or not be able to save seeds. It's important we get slicers and pickles as the wife loves pickles and I love regular cukes.. and I won't touch a pickle and she won't touch a regular cuke.

Potatoes are great fun to do in a barrel, Google it. Super easy. I'm going to take it up a notch and get cracking on building a box out of pallets for this purpose.

Thanks for the info Hiltonizer and Coastie too...

I’ve grown a lot of things in containers without a problem. Actually most of the things I grow are in containers. No issue with watering. However, one must account for the root size. So 5 gallon bucket is not optimal. Tomato has a very wide and relatively deep root. I remember pulling some plants from 2x6’ bed and 1/4 of the root was about 4’ away from the stem. The radius on a 5 gallon bucket is about 0.5’ which is too narrow. It will grow, but not to its full potential. Furthermore, I do not grow in plastic - wood only. If you are ok with plastic, I recommend a minimum 18 gallon tote, but 30 would be even better. Drill lots of small holes in the bottom. Cover bottom 0.5” to 1” with small gravel or riverbed rock. Avoid marble, granite and sand. Then 1” of peat moss. Then fill with 50% high quality compost 25% peat, 25% vermiculite or shredded straw or shredded cardboard, + few handfuls of green sand. Cover everything with 1” of mulch. Plant your tomato in the middle. About 3-4” off tote’s bottom. Drill a hole in the lid for the stem and lock the lid on top of the tote. Water every 3 to 4 days with about 1-1.5 gallons of water. You’ll also need a cage, but its design is more about the type of tomato you chose to grow and your style and visual taste.

But if you are like me, built the planter out of lumber. 2x2x2’ open ended cube would be great. Fill similar to the tote, but instead of lid use 3” of mulch. I love to use shredded cardboard.

Any tips on peppers?

I've got some Bishop's Crown, Datil, and Jalapeno I'm starting from seed. I'm nervous about their production up here, because the seed stock is from the Southwest. They'll be going in a raised bed.

Any tips on peppers?

I've got some Bishop's Crown, Datil, and Jalapeno I'm starting from seed. I'm nervous about their production up here, because the seed stock is from the Southwest. They'll be going in a raised bed.

I had excellent luck with Cayenne peppers last year.

I had excellent luck with Cayenne peppers last year.

Did you do anything special to your soil? Watering as per usual? I keep reading that hot peppers like an environment similar to what they grow in naturally, but my soil is pretty rich organically and I water aggressively. Maybe I'll have to hold off a little on the bed with the hot peppers.

I treated my peppers exactly like I do my tomatoes. Same fertilizer, beware of nitrogen rich supplements, they give you more leaves and less flowers/fruit. Same watering routine, contant moisture, but not wet. No problems growing in this climate.

I treated my peppers exactly like I do my tomatoes. Same fertilizer, beware of nitrogen rich supplements, they give you more leaves and less flowers/fruit. Same watering routine, contant moisture, but not wet. No problems growing in this climate.

Excellent. Tomatoes will be in the next bed over, so I'll treat them the same.

Thanks. [grin]

So I'm a complete and total n00b and got quite a late start on my garden but Ive planted my seeds for cucumbers, jalapenos, habaneros, yummy peppers, and california green peppers. Ill be doing some peas and tomatos in another day or two and some garlic later in the season.
I have my seeds growing in a plastic "greenhouse" of some sort but I'm not sure how often I should be watering them. Any suggestions?

So I'm a complete and total n00b and got quite a late start on my garden but Ive planted my seeds for cucumbers, jalapenos, habaneros, yummy peppers, and california green peppers. Ill be doing some peas and tomatos in another day or two and some garlic later in the season.
I have my seeds growing in a plastic "greenhouse" of some sort but I'm not sure how often I should be watering them. Any suggestions?

better late than never.

Keep the soil at least damp.. but you don't want to turn it to mud either.

Since I just moved to NH, I'm finally going to put in a garden. I have 2 acres of land and plenty of sun, so no excuse now. I'm starting with 4 raised beds, each 4x8. Is 12" too high for a raised bed? I'm just not sure on the current soil condition. Although, I dug out two samples and it looked good.... no rocks, fairly dark, didn't hit sand, and some clay content. The land used to grow hay and had animals on it prior to having a house built. So, I'd imagine that's all goodness.

So the loam and compost arrives tomorrow. I'm going to rip up the lawn under the bed using a pitch fork, put beds on top, and put 4' wire fence around all the beds to hopefully keep deer out. Yes I know deer can jump that high but supposedly they aren't happy about jumping into an enclosed area.

In another area of the lawn, I'm going to plant various perennials directly in the soil, no beds. Stuff like berries, herbs, etc.

But, now to figure out what to plant and how to plant it. I'm a newbie.

I'm also pondering chickens since the stores in the area are selling them, and they're just so cute!!

Since I just moved to NH, I'm finally going to put in a garden. I have 2 acres of land and plenty of sun, so no excuse now. I'm starting with 4 raised beds, each 4x8. Is 12" too high for a raised bed? I'm just not sure on the current soil condition. Although, I dug out two samples and it looked good.... no rocks, fairly dark, didn't hit sand, and some clay content. The land used to grow hay and had animals on it prior to having a house built. So, I'd imagine that's all goodness.

So the loam and compost arrives tomorrow. I'm going to rip up the lawn under the bed using a pitch fork, put beds on top, and put 4' wire fence around all the beds to hopefully keep deer out. Yes I know deer can jump that high but supposedly they aren't happy about jumping into an enclosed area.

In another area of the lawn, I'm going to plant various perennials directly in the soil, no beds. Stuff like berries, herbs, etc.

But, now to figure out what to plant and how to plant it. I'm a newbie.

I'm also pondering chickens since the stores in the area are selling them, and they're just so cute!!

12" is not too high, but likely higher than you need. If you don't remove or cover the sod/weeds/etc underneath, it will come up through your garden bed. Cardboard or thick layers of newspaper will do the trick, and will compost over time after the seeds they covered have gone dormant. Also, don't underestimate the weight of soil - make sure your beds are overbuilt. I like some little triangular gussets at the corner and scrap 1x to screw into at each joint.

Wire fence might be too small for a rabbit - I'd worry about them, too. Lost a LOT to rabbits one year before I put up chicken wire.

Easy stuff to plant in the first year would be bush beans, peas (you'll want stakes), carrots (mark rows carefully), onions from sets, and anything the local garden center has already started for you. It's late in the game to be starting your own seedlings indoors, but the easy direct seed options above are hearty and don't require much maintenance. They'll also yield heavily and continuously - especially if you stagger your plantings. In the fall, I'd look at a second crop of peas, maybe some direct-sown Broccoli, more beans, and garlic if you want it to harvest the following season.

Peas dont transplant so they need to be direct seeded.

Garlic is planted in the fall for harvest the following year.

I tried the square foot method this year. I only have a 10'x12' area so, it seemed to suit. 2x6 beds on top of ground turned over down 10- 12" from existing grade. Soil is a mix of peat, seasoned compost, manure, and some existing loam.
I'm hoping to get a solid three side dishes a week out of this thing.

Seeds starting:
Green Beans - 140 plants
Tomatoes - 6 roma
Eggplant - 4
Green pepper - 9
Red roasting pepper - 6
Pickle cukes - 4
Hybrid salad cukes - 4
The following to be planted at another location
Zucchini - 4 plants
Butternut squash 4 plants
Acorn squash - 4 plants

-for potters-
Basil
Dill
Sage
Rosemary
Parsley
Mint

In ground:
Broccoli - 8
Brussels Sprouts - 6
Various lettuce - 12
Snap Peas - 40

Anxious to see how it all goes - I did the soaker hose with a 4 port manifold to create watering zones.
<fingers crossed>

Brussels Sprouts is one of my favorite plants to grow. We eat almost the entire plant. But it takes forever before they are ready for harvest. I do not grow Roma anymore. They taste same as store bought, so I let other grow them for me.

12” is perfect height. All my beds are that height. Mine are built of dimensional lumber. I prefer narrow 2’ bed and I surround each bed with this http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...10053&langId=-1&keyword=chicken&storeId=10051
It is sold in various heights so choose plant appropriate. They work really well and seem to last a long time. 4 years so far and it seems as good as new.

I already selectively harvested some lettuce leaf and pansies. Garlic and onions are about foot a tall. Peas started to climb. Bok Choy and Swiss Chard should be ready for selective harvesting in about 2 weeks – the same time as cukes, peppers and tomatoes will be transplanted. So far potatoes are my biggest concern. 3.5 weeks and none have yet poked through. [sad2]

I already selectively harvested some lettuce leaf and pansies. Garlic and onions are about foot a tall. Peas started to climb. Bok Choy and Swiss Chard should be ready for selective harvesting in about 2 weeks[sad2]

How long ago did you start this stuff?

My romas are for sauce making - fresh tomatoes are disgusting
[smile]

How long ago did you start this stuff?

My romas are for sauce making - fresh tomatoes are disgusting
[smile]

Garlic and Onions wintered over. Peas were planted early March. Bok Choy, Swiss Chard, Lettuce, etc., were started indoors in February and transplanted mid-March. But I have 2 mil plastic covering all of the beds. Kind of like low tunnel, but mine are 3’ tall. So even when temps dropped to 25, it was 35-40 inside. In about a week or two I’ll be removing plastic. It looks like threats of freeze will pass soon.

I am limited on space so I only grow great tasting things I cannot get at the store. Roma taste like cardboard. I used to grow them, but than one year I realized that I rarely make sauce and I hate eating these things. So I stopped growing them. Honestly, even if I had space and made sauce, I probably would look for a better sauce tomato. IMHO, Roma has zero flavor. Kind of like a hot airhead. It looks awesome, but oh so disappointing once you get to know it better. [grin]

So far I'm having good success with my cucumbers and the peas are starting to poke through. But no sign of the peppers or tomatoes yet...
I check every day, sometimes twice. I've become quite involved in gardening this year.

IMG_2052.jpg

So far I'm having good success with my cucumbers and the peas are starting to poke through. But no sign of the peppers or tomatoes yet...
I check every day, sometimes twice. I've become quite involved in gardening this year.

I'm pretty sure the peppers and tomatoes require higher temps to germinate, in case you didn't know that.

I'm pretty sure the peppers and tomatoes require higher temps to germinate, in case you didn't know that.

Yea but a greenhouse/sunroom should be the perfect condition for them at this time. We normally start ours around this time. I can't wait to garden this year, a couple large trees (one massive silver maple) were removed which gives us a lot more sun. Strawberry plants are already going crazy and I just planted some blackberries which seem to love it where they are. With inflation and the inevitability of pesticide use, I don't understand why everyone doesn't garden.

My wife has been getting things up and growing for the past couple months.
Without having a sun-room, greenhouse, or any south-facing windows, we have some heat mats to go with my thrown together grow lamps.

Just a few plants coming in so far:
IMG_0121.jpg IMG_0125.jpg IMG_0123.jpg

Carrots, leafy lettuce, and something else (forgot) have been direct sown. Getting close for some transplanting and more direct sowing.

I'm really hoping for the wheat and barley (after the wheat) grow well on our little hill.........

My zukes and summer squash are taking over my trays... they are from 3 year old seed so I started a little early not anticipating such high germ rates. I'm not using heatmats, just transferring trays outside during the day with their own green house lids.

Broccoli and peppers and germing as well as I had hoped. Going to restart some brocolli, i'm going to give the peppers a few more days since I haven't been using heatmats. Half the tomatoes have got their true leaves already, the other half haven't germed... looks like i'll be restarting a bunch of those also.

I'll probably get the pea/bean trellises up this weekend and start those outdoors finally... I've been putting this off as the chickens still get free reign in the afternoons and that didnt work out so well last year. Have to construct them a little more permanent confinement ASAP.... I just ordered 25 meat birds last week that I need to build something for also. One of these years i'll get my shit together. [thinking]

Cucumbers, Sugar Peas, and Little Marvel Peas are doing fantastic
IMG_2079.jpg

Tomatoes are starting to say hello
IMG_2080.jpg

Still no luck on the peppers...I'm starting to think the environment is just a tad too cold for germination

Potatoes

ordered my seeds for the year about a month ago... got to start a bunch of stuff this weekend.

Biggest item for me will be Roma tomatoes, garden plan accounts for 48. Going to be canning a lot of pasta sauce. Of course onions and herbs to go with, except garlic. Will have to outsource that.

Few rows of corn, few sweet and jalepeno peppers, lots of cukes, lots of peas, cannellini beans, broccoli, lettuce and spinach.

Last time I did potatoes in a barrel it worked "OK", but i'm going to try and kick it up a notch and build an adjustable box out of some pallets I scavenged to allow more light.

If I ever get around to putting up a respectable fence/trellis i'd like to get some grapes going too. Also take 2 on the berry bushes.. the ones I got from Lowes last year never took.

I wonder if this is the year my apple and pear trees start producing.
For an easy way to grow potatoes: I made cylinders out of chicken wire and planted potatoes in them, As the plants grow, line the inside of the cylinder with straw or hay and fill with compost or soil up to the top two leaves. (leave at least two or three leaves above the compost). At the end of the season you can knock over the cylinder and I got about 30- 40 lbs of potatoes out of each cylinder. Works easier than trying to mound the plants.

Back
Top Bottom