• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Full Course Class, License to Carry Sept. 17 & 20 . . .

Next class is to be held at the Woburn Sportsmen’s Association
Monday, Sept. 17
and
Thursday, Sept. 20

12 total hours for the two-day course during the evening.

Register before class is full; first come first served.

Last edited:
massseal.jpg

FIREARMS SAFETY COURSE Chapter 141 Section 131P

(a) Any person making application for the issuance of a firearms identification card under section 129B, a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms under section 131 or 131F, or a permit to purchase under section 131A, who was not licensed under the provisions of this chapter on June 1, 1998, shall in addition to the requirements set forth in said section, 129B, 131, 131A or 131E submit to the licensing authority a basic firearms safety certificate: CERTIFIED BY DIVISION OF FISHERIES: A certificate issued by the division of fisheries and wildlife pursuant to the provision of section 14 of chapter 131, evidencing satisfactory completion of a hunting safety course, shall serve as a valid substitute for a basic firearms safety certificate required under this section.

FID FOR MACE ONLY EXEMPT: Provided further, that any applicant for a firearms identification card for the sole purpose of purchasing or possessing chemical mace, pepper spray or other similarly propelled liquid, gas or powder designed to temporarily incapacitate shall not be required to complete any basic firearms safety course as a prerequisite for receiving such card.

FURTHER EXEMPTIONS: Persons lawfully possessing a firearm identification card or license to carry firearms on June 1, 1998 shall be exempt from the provisions of this section upon expiration of such card or license and when applying for licensure as required under this section.

ATTACHMENT: No application for the issuance of a firearm identification card or license to carry shall be accepted or processed by the licensing authority without such certificate attached thereto; provided, however, that the provisions of this section shall not apply to

(i) any officer, agent, or employee of the commonwealth or any state of the United States;
(ii) any member of the military or other service of any state or of the United States;
(iii) any duly authorized law enforcement officer, agent or employee of any municipality of the commonwealth; provided, however, that any such person described in clauses (i) to (iii), inclusive, is authorized by a competent authority to carry or possess the weapon so carried or possessed and is acting within the scope of his duties.
(b) The colonel of the state police shall promulgate rules and regulations governing the issuance and form of basic firearms safety certificates required by this section.

CERTIFICATION: Said colonel shall certify certain persons as firearms safety instructors and shall certify safety course curriculum.
TEN YEAR CERTIFICATION PERIOD: Such certification shall be for a period of ten years, unless sooner revoked by reason of unsuitability, in the discretion of said colonel.

FEES IMPOSED: The department of state police may impose a fee of $50 for initial issuance of such certification to offset the cost of certifying instructors. The fee for certification renewal shall be $10.
FIREARMS SAFETY INSTRUCTOR: Firearms safety instructors shall be any person certified by a nationally recognized organization that fosters safety in firearms, or any other person in the discretion of said colonel, to be competent to give instruction in a basic firearms safety course.

APPLICANTS NOT EXEMPT: Applicants for certification as instructors under the provisions of this section shall not be exempt from the requirements of this chapter or any other law or regulation of the commonwealth or the United States.
CURRICULUM: Upon application to the colonel of state police, said colonel may, in his discretion, certify as a firearms safety instructor any person who operates a firearms safety course or program which provides in its curriculum:

(a) the safe use, handling and storage of firearms;
(b) methods of securing and childproofing firearms;
(c) the applicable laws relating to the possession, transportation and storage of firearms, and;
(d) knowledge of operation, potential dangers and basic competency in the ownership and usage of firearms.

(c) Any firearms safety instructor certified under this provision may, in his discretion, issue a basic firearms safety certificate to any person who successfully completes the requirements of a basic firearms safety course approved by the colonel.

FAILURES: No firearms safety instructor shall issue or cause to be issued any basic firearms safety certificate to any person who fails to meet minimum requirements of the prescribed course of study including, but not limited to, demonstrated competency in the use of firearms.

INFO FORWARDED TO STATE POLICE: Instructors certified under the provision of this section shall forward to the department of state police the names of those persons who have received basic firearms safety certificates.

LOCAL INQUIRY WITH STATE POLICE: Local licensing authorities, as defined in section 121, shall, upon receipt of an application for a firearm identification card or a Class A or Class B LTC, make inquiry to the department of state police to confirm the issuance to the applicant of a basic safety certificate.

(d) Any person applying for a licensure under the provisions of this chapter who knowingly files or submits a basic firearms safety certificate to a licensing authority which contains false information shall be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $5,000 or by imprisonment for not more than 2 years in a house of correction, or both such fine and imprisonment.

(e) Any firearms instructor who knowingly issues a basic firearms safety certificate to a person who has not successfully completed a firearms safety course approved by the colonel shall be punished by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not more than 2 years in a house of correction, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Last edited:
Isnt it amazing that in addition to all the other stuff needed in MA people now need this safety course to get a license/permit etc... Wow.... Not that a safety gun course is a bad thing... its not... Its a great idea but Mass's intention is not making people more smart on guns... its making it harder for them to purchase them... Jerks!!![angry]

you can drive to NH/VT or basically anywhere else in the area and you dont need JACK SHIT other than a heartbeat and a wallet and you can buy whatever you want.....

man I cant wait to move to NH in a few months....

Maybe MA should ask the gang bangers in Boston, Brokton, Springfield, Holyoke etc. to take the course before they illegally purchase Machine Guns (MAC 10s), pistols and shoot each other......... stupid ass state....[laugh]
thanks for the informative post though...[grin]

man that sounded kind of harsh after reading my own post....[thinking]

sorry bout that.... Just struck me wrong I guess.

carry on.....[grin]

Here's the reference for the actual M.G.L.: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131p.htm
Note that it is Chapter 140 not 141; and, that the wording is slightly different in places, nothing significant but still different.

guilt.gif

Kevin 9 ~ I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive such a grievous error? [smile]

I found the item in question while rummaging through some police sites and though I would post it. I went back but haven’t come up with the town I acquired it from so I could leave an email informing them of the error. You don’t suppose the law has added just one more chapter (while no one was looking) somewhere before the 140 chapter thereby making it chapter 141? Just a thought.
comp38.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom