From John Farnam

JimConway

Instructor
"19 Nov 09

Interesting comments from a student and inadvertent bear hunter!

"Several years ago in MT, while ostensibly hunting elk, I accidentally disturbed an enormous male grizzly bear! The bear was reclining in alders behind me as I took up a position to scan for elk. I was unaware he was there and was surely not thinking about bears. The bear may not have been thinking about me either, but it is obvious he was thinking about lunch!

The first clue was when I heard the sound of crashing alders behind me and turned to catch my initial, terrifying glimpse. The bear was charging me from a distance of thirty meters!

I was armed with a scoped, Ruger bolt-gun in 7mmRem Mg. I remember being surprised and frightened, but I consider myself a competent Operator, and I knew what to do!

My first shot struck the bear head-on, just under the chin. Range was twenty meters. I used the scope. It was adjusted to 3X. It caused the bear the shift his head, similar to a boxer fading from a punch. I was sure I
had hit him, but I didn't know exactly where. Without delay, I bolted-in a
second round and fired. That round struck just behind the hump (fired at
a downward angle). Range was ten meters. I was looking over the scope when I took that shot. The bear dropped, rolled over, bellowed, and slid down an incline. He thrashed for ten seconds, then went limp, DRT. I was unhurt.

I moved laterally, positioning myself behind a large tree. I then recharged the rifle's magazine with two rounds, replacing the ones I had just expended.

When the whole episode started, it only required an instant for me to realize that neither fleeing, nor verbal de-escalation, were likely to be successful! Standing my ground and ending this fight was my only viable option.
Extensive training made my weapon work. I didn't have time to think about how to run it.

Because, to Feds, killing a grizzly within CONUS is akin to molesting children, simultaneous, interminable investigations by four, separate state and federal law-enforcement agencies were apparently obligatory. However, the affirmative necessity of my actions were shown to be incontrovertible, and all evidence united in confirming it.

Since the event, I've experienced recurring nightmares, which I know are normal. They've gradually diminished with time.

A source of personal satisfaction is the fact that I know I fought a battle with an honorable opponent. The bear's motives were at least respectable. In my job as a police officer, most of my opponents are human, none of whom have ever know any species of honor!

I keep remembering your saying, 'When it's least expected, you're elected!
'

Can't be stressed too much!"

Comment: There are no guarantees in this life, and even the best preparation and tactics sometimes yield poor results. The only thing competent training and preparedness can do is stack the odds in your favor. They give you a good chance. "

Thanks for the story. That was very thought provoking and reinforces the need to train to the level where we can respond with our weapon appropriately without an undue thought process. And I'm glad the outcome was good.

I thought the saying " When its least expected your elected" came from the Candid Camera show.

Back
Top Bottom