Free-floating barrel

kurtb

NES Member
Can someone please explain to me why a free floating barrel improves accuracy? I'm watching future weapons right now and they are doing a thing on the Mosada (SP?). They were saying that the free floating barrel greatly improves accuracy - but I really dont understand why to be honest.

thx

All barrels vibrate when fired, any contact with the barrel will change the frequency of the vibration.
So for consistant accuracy, keeping the barrel free from contact will keep the barrel movment consistent from shot to shot.

All barrels vibrate when fired, any contact with the barrel will change the frequency of the vibration.
So for consistant accuracy, keeping the barrel free from contact will keep the barrel movment consistent from shot to shot.

So what about standard hunting rifles for long range. Re you saying that because they are mounted to the stock they are not as consistant?

thx

For my long range rifles, I bed the actions to the stock, and make sure the barrel channel is clear from the barrel, doesn't need to be much 1/16" or so is usually enough.

Basicly fold a paper tightly in quarters and make sure it slides between the barrel and stock all the way down.

For my long range rifles, I bed the actions to the stock, and make sure the barrel channel is clear from the barrel, doesn't need to be much 1/16" or so is usually enough.

Basicly fold a paper tightly in quarters and make sure it slides between the barrel and stock all the way down.

Got it! Thanks.

kurtb

Picture a snake swallowing and then passing a golf ball. That's kinda like what happens when a projectile travels down the barrel. The thicker the barrel, the less vibration/distortion, so heavy bull barrels are inherently more accurate.
Without a free floating barrel, the bottom of the barrel won't vibrate in the same manner as the top, since the stock will interfere. It's this disparity between the movement of the topside of the barrel vs the bottom that affects accuracy, along with several other variables. If the stock was bedded, but went all the way around the barrel, it wouldn't be as much of an issue, as its affect would be distributed uniformly around the circumference of the barrel.

The stock, but also your hand will influence the barrel upon firing. You want all of the energy to transfer through the action and the buttstock, and none through the forend of the stock and into your hand, as you will change how the barrel moves.

I've floated the barrels of 7 or 8 rifles; everything from .22 to a 35-whelen Improved. It made a visible difference in every one.

Of course, if the gun has other accuracy problems, the barrel bedding won't be the long pole in the tent and you won't see improvement.

I think the old adage is;
1) bedding
2) barrel
3) bullet
4) bolt (action)

A stock with pressure points on the barrel, and that moves around with temperature/humidity will do more to screw up accuracy than anything else. My deer gun that had an old warped wood stock was putting pressure on one side of the barrel at the forend. It printed 7" groups (strung L-R) at 100yrds. After I bedded the action and floated the barrel it printed 2" groups.

Back
Top Bottom