Franklin, Massachusetts

Well, I just bought my first house, and just sent in my 3 certified letters all over the place for address updates, and now ready to join a local club!

Anyone know of any clubs or ranges within 20 - 30 minutes of Franklin MA? I'm a relatively new shooter, but really busy, so a club that is looking for me to volunteer 10+ weekends a year is out for me. I just don't have the time to commit like that. Just being upfront and honest. I'm hoping there is one where I can bring a guest, as my wife enjoys hitting the range once in a while too, but just not an active gun owner.

Thank you for any replies!

Ryan

Wrentham requires 16 hours of work and attend 3 meetings within 6 months of joining, nothing after that. IIRC Mansfield has no work party requirements. I belong to both, if you would like a walk through. Wrentham is having a steak fry on July 19th that is open to the public. (tix $16) if you want to get a feel for the place.
Mansfield has better range, no social activities. Wrentham lots of dinners, BBQs, game supper etc. Also has a lounge and beautiful stocked pond if you fish. So if you are looking for a place strictly for shooting, Mansfield would be the better choice. For everything else, Wrentham. That's why I belong to both.

There are also a number of clubs in the 3M area (Millis, Medfield, Medway), plus one in Bellingham. I don't know anything about them or their membership requirements however.

Hopkinton Sportsmens is about one mile off of exit 21A on 495 and should be within your range. 100/200 yard outdoor rifle range, 5 outdoor pistol ranges; two skeet fields; one trap field; five stand; 50ft indoor range; all self-service except the trap and skeet machines.

Wrentham requires 16 hours of work and attend 3 meetings within 6 months of joining, nothing after that. IIRC Mansfield has no work party requirements. I belong to both, if you would like a walk through. Wrentham is having a steak fry on July 19th that is open to the public. (tix $16) if you want to get a feel for the place.
Mansfield has better range, no social activities. Wrentham lots of dinners, BBQs, game supper etc. Also has a lounge and beautiful stocked pond if you fish. So if you are looking for a place strictly for shooting, Mansfield would be the better choice. For everything else, Wrentham. That's why I belong to both.

That's really good to know. Right now I'm more into the just the just shooting, and practicing my shots etc. I would love to get into game suppers etc eventually, but right now, with all my other commitments (fishing clubs, work, travel, etc.), Having committments of work/party at clubs are really touch. So thank you for the information! I'll take a look at the mansfield website if I can find one.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopkinton Sportsmens is about one mile off of exit 21A on 495 and should be within your range. 100/200 yard outdoor rifle range, 5 outdoor pistol ranges; two skeet fields; one trap field; five stand; 50ft indoor range; all self-service except the trap and skeet machines.

I looked at the website and was a little confused. It looks like I need to Join NRA, GOAL, and other places as well, then I have to take tests for the indoor and outdoor ranges, as well as attend 2 required meetings? Can you just confirm if that's the case? The place looks really nice.

Currently, I just own 1 firearm for personal/home protection. I just want to make sure that I can find a place that I can consistently practice for my own and families safety etc. Practice makes perfect/safe right?

Practice makes perfect/safe right?

I believe it's "perfect/safe practice makes perfect/safe". Usually I don't chime in with this type of comment, but I was just reading something recently that reminded me it's hard to break bad habits that have been praticed.

I was a member of Taunton, now a member of Maspenock in Milford. They require you volunteer to help with 3 events in your first year(Ive been RSOing for pistol events) but there are plenty of opportunities to help out.

Trap range, pistol ranges, rifle ranges, clubhouse with bar, indoor .22 range, pond stocked with trout, pheasants released for members to hunt on club property, horseshoe pits, etc. Small club member wise it is rarely busy, except for during sanctioned events and trap days. Ive shown up on a beautiful weekend day in the early afternoon and no one is there.

Let me know if you want a look around, id be happy to give you a tour.

Oh and welcome to the area. Im in Bellingham.

This. Attend one board or club meeting to apply for membership and you don't have to do any other meetings if you don't want. If you can't fit the 5hrs of "work" into your schedule then you can pay higher dues instead. Pistol pits, 100y rifle, and trap/skeet available as soon as you're voted in; 200y rifle and indoor range require quick qualifications with the club President....nothing too complicated, just trying to make sure no rounds end up in the clubhouse above the indoor range or in downtown Hopkinton [shocked]

Currently, I just own 1 firearm for personal/home protection. I just want to make sure that I can find a place that I can consistently practice for my own and families safety etc. Practice makes perfect/safe right?

Franklin has a Rod & Gun club with a small indoor range. I think it is limited to .45? Back in the day they had a vending machine that served cans of beer.

http://www.franklinrodandgun.org/

Im also a member, excellent club!!!!

I'm in Frankin too, also looking to finally join a club. Leaning towards Independent. Does anyone, anywhere know about the Bellingham club? Seems clouded in mystery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

westwood gun club in medfield fin fur & feather in millis walpole gc in walpole milford gc in milford many more very easy to find on the computer

My visit to Independent gave me the following impressions:

- VERY nice shotgun facilities, nicest I've seen anywhere to date.
- Pistol/rifle range was not impressive at all.
- Biggest turn-off was being told that members are NOT allowed access to any of the buildings, strictly BOD and committee members. So you have to use porta-potties instead of a real bathroom.
- I was also told that they don't allow instructors to teach there. Info was from one of the 5-stage committee members.

Anyone can shoot the shotgun circuit as a guest and pay the fee and someday I hope to do that (5-stage has me intrigued), but I can't see joining such a club.

-------------------

So if you want to practice pistol/rifle there are a lot nicer options out there. Some even have plumbing, and they are closer to Franklin than Independent.

That's really good to know. Right now I'm more into the just the just shooting, and practicing my shots etc. I would love to get into game suppers etc eventually, but right now, with all my other commitments (fishing clubs, work, travel, etc.), Having committments of work/party at clubs are really touch. So thank you for the information! I'll take a look at the mansfield website if I can find one.

- - - Updated - - -

I looked at the website and was a little confused. It looks like I need to Join NRA, GOAL, and other places as well, then I have to take tests for the indoor and outdoor ranges, as well as attend 2 required meetings? Can you just confirm if that's the case? The place looks really nice.
I don't think you have to join just one.

That stuff is our form of hazing :) The indoor range requires a test which is meeting with El Prez (the Draper in Draper v. Coakley), shooting a few rounds, and not scaring him. The only outdoor range that requires a shooting test is the 200 yard rifle range, and that is so the club can be certain those using it know how to hit the berm. You might be able to get away with one meeting.

Once you join, you will find the "attitude" you hear about at some places is missing. Don't scare anyone and you'll find yourself most welcome at the club.

Last edited:
My visit to Independent gave me the following impressions:

- VERY nice shotgun facilities, nicest I've seen anywhere to date.
- Pistol/rifle range was not impressive at all.
- Biggest turn-off was being told that members are NOT allowed access to any of the buildings, strictly BOD and committee members. So you have to use porta-potties instead of a real bathroom.
- I was also told that they don't allow instructors to teach there. Info was from one of the 5-stage committee members.

Anyone can shoot the shotgun circuit as a guest and pay the fee and someday I hope to do that (5-stage has me intrigued), but I can't see joining such a club.

-------------------

So if you want to practice pistol/rifle there are a lot nicer options out there. Some even have plumbing, and they are closer to Franklin than Independent.

Interesting points. Agree on a Shotgun, I have a new one and shot there once. But you are right I can shoot it there anyway. The nominal cost is immaterial.

Not sure what range nearby has a nice rifle range, as I am looking to get one. Pistol I can always shoot at AFS or MFS, but would like another option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting points. Agree on a Shotgun, I have a new one and shot there once. But you are right I can shoot it there anyway. The nominal cost is immaterial.

Not sure what range nearby has a nice rifle range, as I am looking to get one. Pistol I can always shoot at AFS or MFS, but would like another option.

Well if Mansfield is within range (off I-495 and Rte. 140, on Rte. 106), we have a brand new archery range (outdoors) and nice 50 yd and 100 yd outdoor ranges. NO indoor facilities at all (porta-potties, but they are kept clean). If you want to be shown around the club, send me an Email (off username) not a PM please.

www.mansfieldfish.com

Wrentham has a decent setup. Might be a waiting list.
Was a member of Walpole a few times. Nice to have the range to yourself even if only 100yds. Great shotgun areas as well. Steak and clays on Thursdays iirc.

Back
Top Bottom