• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Found an old tackle box in the garage last week

Twigg

NES Member
Thought I'd put up some pic's. I don't think there's anything real collectable here.
IF there's any interest I'll post an ad in the classifieds.

Think this guy's got enough hooks ?
fd50ed43.jpg

906e944d.jpg

ee759378.jpg

Here's an interesting "spinner" cast in lead.
69f0e473.jpg

fdd0bbb0.jpg

...and a lead spoon of some sort.
64df196e.jpg

40abb5db.jpg

The red blade looks like it could be mica.
375022c6.jpg

c154fced.jpg

The red beads are real glass.
7b4be70d.jpg

42040870.jpg

Here's a green spoon.
bfbdba80.jpg

50e82968.jpg

The red spoon has spinners.
89cd3038.jpg

a254984a.jpg

This one's an old Abu spinner.
0bc2a0cc.jpg

a9fad29f.jpg

Now a few wooden plugs
4f7fec4c.jpg

c6401a87.jpg

1c38ce1f.jpg

384d5f8e.jpg

d25a5f2c.jpg

63927f7d.jpg

cc38c08d.jpg

Some are stamped "JC Higgens" IIRC is Sears & Roebuck ?
1a9271f5.jpg

1e50c7a9.jpg

7b7f4d09.jpg

8211befb.jpg

7f0d3570.jpg

399f87af.jpg

ba2dc9a7.jpg

Some of them look like they're good enough to use. There wasn't any packaging with they were all in an old metal box which was rusted shut so hard I had to bash it with a hammer to get it open.. Oh wait.
Here's a 1957 copy of the Massachusetts fish & game laws.

435d94bb.jpg

33fb78be.jpg

a5bbb0b3.jpg

I'll have to get back to the garage, ifin' I dig enough I might find me a JC Higgens shotgun back there !

Last edited:
Those are pretty cool, I recognize a few, as I have some of the same ones.
I know one of them is a Wiggle Wart, and there's a Wood Chopper in there too.

Those JC Higgins lures would look great next to my model 50 Bolt action 30-06! Nice find

Great find. They look like the lures my grandfather left us - only newer. In his teenage years, my brother managed to lose all but one, but he was fishing, so I guess it's OK. I still have a couple of ancient leather wallets with his flies and streamers, and I hesitate to use them.

Last edited:
I love old tackle. I'm constantly checking out yard sales and flea markets looking for those old lures. Most people have no idea what they're worth.

Do an online search for South Bend Oreno & River Runt, Creek Chub Bait Company (CCBC) and Heddon. Those are some of the bigger names in collectable fishing lures. Lures IN the original box are worth much more than w/out the box. Wooden body ones are worth more than plastic body ones.

I've been fishing since the mid 70s and it is scary to think the old lures I still use are considered antiques NOW! My favorites were balsa wood Rapala minnows and plastic Rebel minnows. Others worth mentioning are Mann's Jelly worms, Arbogast Jitterbugs, Johnson Silver Spoons and the all versatile Mepp's Spinners.

Old tackle boxes are wonderful finds and bring back a lot of cool memories and fishing tales. [grin] Thanks for sharing pics!

I still fish my old fiberglass Fenwick spinning rods and green Penn freshwater spinning reels. [smile] Monofilament line now a days is great compared to the line they use to make back in the 70s. (old stuff would take a bad set, dry out and break easily).

Back
Top Bottom