Form 1 trust attachments

jron

NES Member
I had a trust set up and was told I needed to attach my trust agreement, assignment page and copy of ltc. However should I attach the whole 17 page trust agreement? Or just the official signed agreement page that was notarized?

Are you saying the ATF asked for these? Just scan them and attach to the Form 1 in the efile system.

I had a trust set up and was told I needed to attach my trust agreement, assignment page and copy of ltc. However should I attach the whole 17 page trust agreement? Or just the official signed agreement page that was notarized?

All pages.

Are you saying the ATF asked for these? Just scan them and attach to the Form 1 in the efile system.

No I just was not sure if they would want the whole 17 page typed up agreement that was drafted. I can't see why they would want to read the agreement. But I'd rather not get delayed

No I just was not sure if they would want the whole 17 page typed up agreement that was drafted. I can't see why they would want to read the agreement. But I'd rather not get delayed

They ask for it bc in the early days of trusts, there were some badly written trusts that did not comply with the ATF requirements. I'm not sure if they still read it in its entirety but yes they want the whole thing.

Sources have reported that the ATF reviews trust documents to ensure that they comply with relevant state law to ensure that the trust is valid. And invalid trust is no trust at all and cannot make or own NFA items.

You can have a max of 10files uploaded with a max of 3mb per file. I had to scan my trust like 3-4pages at a time. The pages with signatures and handwriting use more data. I think with everything I had 9 attachments in order to keep them all under 3mb. I remember I was at the scanner at my work for a good 15min scanning sets of documents multiple times trying to stay within atf's dumb requirements.

there are file size limitations. I have to upload my trust in 3 separate docs

rcwhat beat me to it

You can have a max of 10files uploaded with a max of 3mb per file. I had to scan my trust like 3-4pages at a time. The pages with signatures and handwriting use more data. I think with everything I had 9 attachments in order to keep them all under 3mb. I remember I was at the scanner at my work for a good 15min scanning sets of documents multiple times trying to stay within atf's dumb requirements.

WHY??? Simply lower the resolution such that it yields the desired file size. My trust is almost 40 pages long and I have no trouble scanning it as a single document under the size limit and the result is perfectly legible.

WHY??? Simply lower the resolution such that it yields the desired file size. My trust is almost 40 pages long and I have no trouble scanning it as a single document under the size limit and the result is perfectly legible.
I didn't think the atf would appreciate that, hence why they tell you that you may need to upload multiple attachments to stay within the requirements. I didn't want to get disapproved for being lazy.

I didn't think the atf would appreciate that, hence why they tell you that you may need to upload multiple attachments to stay within the requirements. I didn't want to get disapproved for being lazy.

That is not being lazy, that is being intelligent enough to understand that a lower resolution will yield the same information and stay under their size limits.

Documents are not photographs. Documents benefit from higher compression and lower resolution in a way that photographs do not. My trust is every bit as readable at 75 dpi as it is at 300 dpi, the difference is a factor of 10 in file size.

The multiple attachments is for included the assignment page or any declarations where you may have amended the trustees.

Intelligence, as you say, had nothing to do with it. I read mulitple online guides on how to fill out the eform and the ones that I remember reading said that I may have to do exactly as I said.

Last edited:
There have been several NES discussions about file attachments and the trust over the past couple years, for what it's worth.

Isn't it a pain to upload a bunch of files for the same document?

Reduce resolution and scan as B&W, should help with file size.

I mistakenly scanned all pages as one file, I used PDF compression software and 16 pages went from 15 mb to 4 mb. Sooo I have to fix it again [banghead]

meat least I'll work out all the bugs with my first stamp and the next one will go smooth

I mistakenly scanned all pages as one file, I used PDF compression software and 16 pages went from 15 mb to 4 mb. Sooo I have to fix it again [banghead]

meat least I'll work out all the bugs with my first stamp and the next one will go smooth

Here's a trick that works almost every time.

Take your scanned trust (PDF) and print it to another PDF. You'll need a "print to pdf" utility, but they're free and easy to find if you don't have one. The resultant pdf will be every bit as clear/readable as the scanned original, and about 10x smaller.

I've heard this question (or versions of it) a few times recently. You absolutely must send in your entire NFA trust agreement when submitting an NFA application. That means no missing pages, no redactions, and certainly not just the signature pages. To do otherwise is to guarantee a rejection from the ATF, or at the very least a delay while the examiner contacts you to request the rest of your NFA trust agreement. Think about it from the examiner's perspective: how do they know anything about the underlying agreement without it? The body of the text could be the lyrics to "Thriller", or the Declaration of Independence, or a crayon drawing, none of which would meet the requirements for a valid trust agreement (in any jurisdiction that I'm aware of). Always assume every page in the document is there for a reason.

And to be clear (because I know what some of you are thinking: "Do I have to include every scrap of paper my lawyer or vendor provided?"), I mean your "trust agreement", plus any other ancillary documents your attorney or vendor suggestion you provide, but not any instruction materials or other non-legal instruments.

As for the concerns about scanning, I understand it can take a while to scan page by page. So for that reason, if you don't have access to a high speed scanner, I'd suggest you can go to a print shop and have it scanned in a minute for a few bucks and send to portable drive or to your email. They can also compress your documents at the same time to reduce the file size under the 3MB limit required for eForms. Alternatively, you can download an app such as Fastscanner, which will allow you to take adequate (but not great) scans of your documents using your phone.

As for the attachment size limit, as noted above, one option is to have someone at a print shop scan and compress your documents simultaneously. Another option is to use an online service such as ilovepdf.com to compress your documents. http://www.ilovepdf.com/compress_pdf I believe Adobe Acrobat Professional has a compression option as well.

Back
Top Bottom