Flow-hive idea for bee keeping

20150222163252-examples-flow-light-small.jpg

Historically I have had zero interest in keeping bees because I don't want the hassle/risk of ripping open the hive and taking out the honey. This invention might just change my mind...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flow-hive-honey-on-tap-directly-from-your-beehive

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

I keep bees and I spoke with someone that beta-tested this so here are my thoughts/concerns.
1. Does it work? Yes.
2. Price: It's expensive - or will be once they make the announcement.
3. Is it that Easy? No.

The reality is that you have to manage the bees - to prevent swarming and to maximize honey production, and this takes work.

You also need to buy regular beekeeping supplies like a smoker and veil, frames, boxes, etc. The perception that you just buy this and hey loads of honey and 'Happy Days are here again!" will be a huge disappointment.

This is another gadget that's not going to help people keep bees. I expect as a long term beekeeper to be receiving these as time goes on because people can't figure out how to keep bees. They're going to spend hundreds of dollars, fail, and then give their stuff away.

Tony

Last edited:
Well when you start getting them for free, karma those bad boys off. :D

Seriously though I'd love to keep some bees but not until I get to my next home where I expect to have some land and more than 2 months of summer.

I am skeptical. The device is expensive. Bees tend to have a mind of their own and often don't put wax where YOU think it should go. With a traditional hive if they mess up a frame it is maybe $3-4 to toss and replace. What are these frames - $40 each? If they gum this up, will you even be able to split the frames for harvest or will the lever stick? Seems to me they are looking to cash in on a kick-starter fund raiser targeting rich yuppies. They are trying to make it sound like keeping bees means you will never have to open the hive. Nothing true about that if that is your assumption. You are still going to have to go in there for all sorts of management/care things. Extracting honey the traditional way is a bit of a hassle, but it is no big deal.

My personal opinion looking at this is that it will maybe work a couple of times and then it will get fouled up. It looks like a gimmick and in my opinion will never make it past the home hobbyist stage. Your mileage may vary.

I keep bees and I spoke with someone that beta-tested this so here are my thoughts/concerns.
1. Does it work? Yes.
3. Is it that Easy? No.

The reality is that you have to manage the bees - to prevent swarming and to maximize honey production, and this takes work.

You also need to buy regular beekeeping supplies like a smoker and veil, frames, boxes, etc. The perception that you just buy this and hey loads of honey and 'Happy Days are here again!" will be a huge disappointment.

This is another gadget that's not going to help people keep bees. I expect as a long term beekeeper to be receiving these as time goes on because people can't figure out how to keep bees. They're going to spend hundreds of dollars, fail, and then give their stuff away.

Tony

I also keep bees....def works but as you say. You still have to manage the bees. Cost is over $80 per frame. One big thing not mentioned is that you have to take that box off for the fall harvest so they can build stores for the winter.

Not to change the subject too much, but last year was the first year I noticed a uptick in honey bees. I have a lot of clover growing in the grass (if you can call it grass) and it was sure nice watching the honey bees flying from clover to clover. I thought bees were dying off too after the bee hysteria a few years ago. It was sure nice to see a comeback, at least where I live.

I've heard a lot of opinions on this from experienced beekeepers. As I've planned for years now, to get into bee keeping, it caught my eye as well. I think its horrible for a beginner to go this route though.

You NEED to handle the bees and maintain the hives. You can't ignore them and expect everything to be fine. Before this product hit the spotlight, I've already done years of research, and learning. This product seems to want to completely take away everything that good beekeepers have learned and done for 100's of years.

Whether it works nicely or not, I'll not be getting one. Maybe after a decade of doing it the right way, and learning how to maintain my hives, but definitely not right away. And DEFINITELY not with the thought that I can skip a bunch of "dirty bee handling" steps.

Shortcuts = Failure. Period.

Last edited:
This is my first winter w my bees..... so far so good.
From what I hear this hive is solid, but like any style of hive it takes work. This one will be no different. It seems like a solution looking for a problem to me.

It looks like they're pulling honey from the hive body. I don't know... There is an old saying don't fix what ain't broke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not to change the subject too much, but last year was the first year I noticed a uptick in honey bees. I have a lot of clover growing in the grass (if you can call it grass) and it was sure nice watching the honey bees flying from clover to clover. I thought bees were dying off too after the bee hysteria a few years ago. It was sure nice to see a comeback, at least where I live.

Vast majority of issues with bees are self inflicted by the beekeeper.......anyone that thinks its "Ok" to prophylacticly treat hives periodically with antibiotics and other chemicals that build up in the comb that bees lay eggs in is out of their mind.

Sure, there are mite issues but with proper management and more hygenic breeds this isn't an issue either.

Biggest problem by far are chemicals put into the colony by the beekeeper......followed by chemicals brought into the hive by the bees.....but again thats mostly a function of choice of location made by the beekeeper

WRT the Flow Hive frames?

Bees generally want to make their own comb and dont like plastic.....acceptance will be a significant issue.....not to mention cost as well as cost due to accidental damage due to bears/etc

Last edited:
This has been pretty well tested. I know Michael Bush here in the us tested it and says it works as advertised. I dont see why you would need to pull the hive to let them build up there winter stores. Just dont take the honey. It is quite expensive but so id getting an extractor and all the stuff to process honey. I think the market is going to be the one hive hobbyist.

I have some serious concerns with it though. I cant see the frames standing up to multiple years of being pulled out for hive checks and being propolised in. Putting a tool to that seems like it would damage it. If I am going to spend that money than it would need to last. Here in the US we need to get into our hives a lot more than in Australia thanks to varroa. I know I try to get in mine every 3 weeks or so and more if I am running drone comb. I also dont like the fact that all they say is check the ends through the glass to make sure it is capped. What if the middle has brood or uncapped honey in it? That could wreck your honey and you wouldnt even know it.

1. Does it work? Yes.
3. Is it that Easy? No.

Tony

Where would you recommend a person go to learn about keeping bees? Any really good books for beginners?
This is something I've been thinking about for awhile now. But, have no idea were to start.

Where would you recommend a person go to learn about keeping bees? Any really good books for beginners?
This is something I've been thinking about for awhile now. But, have no idea were to start.

Merrimack Valley Bee Keepers runs a class every winter. I know they already started the session as a friend is taking it.

Most counties have a beekeepers association also check with your state cooperative extension. Your state beekeepers association will have that info as well. YOur county beekeepers can also set you up with a mentor to help you.

Most counties have a beekeepers association also check with your state cooperative extension. Your state beekeepers association will have that info as well. YOur county beekeepers can also set you up with a mentor to help you.

Thanks!
I just sent off an email to our county extension office looking for contact info.

My friends daughter started a beekeeping course at UMass recently. She said there are 300 students.

Probably bee a lot of free equipment coming available in the future [smile]

Back
Top Bottom