• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Time Reloading

kevin9

NES Member
I made my first run of reloaded ammo today in 45 ACP. I started out trying to use an older 3 station Lee Pro 1000 with new Lee carbide dies. Sizing and depriming worked OK, and after some fiddling I got the belling, seating and crimping working OK, but I had problems with priming. It would not consistently feed primers. I ended up with several rounds loaded sans primers and powder in the priming station.

After cleaning up the mess I then went to using an older Lyman single stage. The only problem I had with it was getting the seating and crimping right. I wrinkled several rounds trying to get the crimp right.

When I got it all working I ended up with 46 rounds of 45 ACP. The brass was mixed once-fired, mostly Remington and Federal. The bullets were Hornady 230gr JHP XTP. The powder was Titegroup with Winchester large pistol primers. 23 rounds were made up with 4.27 grs and 23 were made made up with 4.75 grs. The 2 charge weights were what I could get with the .37 and .40 sized holes in the Auto-Disk Powder Measure I was using.

Of course I then had to go down to the Winchendon R&G club and try them out. Both sets worked fine in my Glock 21. The smaller charge had noticeably less recoil than the factory UMC I used as a reference. It grouped OK, about as well as the factory stuff, but about 1" lower at 25 feet. The heavier charge was just about the same recoil as the factory ammo and shot pretty much to the same POI. Grouping was similar as well, although I need to do more testing to reduce shooter-induced errors. There were no signs of excess pressure for either charge.

All in all it went well. Now to get the Pro 1000 working consistently. The primers either were not feeding onto the anvil pin at all, or they ended up flipped 90 degrees. Once the first primer was missed powder ended up in the station and mucked the following ones up. I'm open for any suggestions folks have on getting the primer feed working consistently.

First make sure the timing of the press is correct, make sure the ram for the primers is centered in the shell plate.

2nd, make sure the primer chute is clean and powder free, I take mine a part to clean it with a silicon rag.

3rd, the primers are fed from the weight of the primers above it, once the chute gets down under 8-10 primers, the primers will not feed

4th, remove the clip that prevents primers from feeding if there is no case, it causes more problems than it solves. You can either take the primer off by hand or let them get knock off by the shellplate on to the bench

Kevin,
A couple of things. First and foremost, This is of the best $10 you will spend while using a Lee press. You can adjust your powder as much as you want, and on the fly.

Also, I agree with what supermoto has said with a couple of exceptions. First, I did not remove the clip, and my press works just fine. One thing I did with my primer chute was to make sure there are no plastic burs that are making the primers not slide, and I regularly clean the primer chute, and then put some dry graphite lube in there, rub it all around and clean the excess off with compressed air. Another thing to look out for when you are in running, is to make sure that the primers are falling out of the disk, and keeping the chute full. Some times it just takes a little flick of the finger to correct this problem.

Good luck, and post here if you have any other questions with this press. I have 2 of them, and have had good luck.

All in all it went well. Now to get the Pro 1000 working consistently. The primers either were not feeding onto the anvil pin at all, or they ended up flipped 90 degrees. Once the first primer was missed powder ended up in the station and mucked the following ones up. I'm open for any suggestions folks have on getting the primer feed working consistently.

I hope you have better luck with your Lee than I had. I never could get the darn primers to feed consistently. I second "get a chrony" comment. They don't have to be expensive, I've had one of these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=396317&t=11082005

and it has worked for over 10 years

Thanks all for the advice. I've been quite busy, but I'll go through the thread and reply to specifics in the next couple of days.

Thanks for the suggestions!
First make sure the timing of the press is correct, make sure the ram for the primers is centered in the shell plate.
That generally seemed to be the case
2nd, make sure the primer chute is clean and powder free, I take mine a part to clean it with a silicon rag.
Good idea.
3rd, the primers are fed from the weight of the primers above it, once the chute gets down under 8-10 primers, the primers will not feed
I think this may have been a big part the problem. I only put about 10-12 primers into the tray and it was after the first couple of primers that the mis-feeds started.
4th, remove the clip that prevents primers from feeding if there is no case, it causes more problems than it solves. You can either take the primer off by hand or let them get knock off by the shellplate on to the bench
I'm not sure my press has this clip. I'll double-check when I get home.

Thanks.
Kevin,
A couple of things. First and foremost, This is of the best $10 you will spend while using a Lee press. You can adjust your powder as much as you want, and on the fly.
Looks good. I'll be ordering some stuff for my ARs from various places so I very well might tack this onto an order.

Back
Top Bottom