First Leather

You are mentally way ahead of where I was at your point. I used to think too much about who was going to show up for a Leg match, and if I could beat them. I'd get a little pissy if some hot-shot would show up in Scarborough or Hampden trying to poach points. It took me a few matches to learn it doesn't matter who is there; try to make every shot an X and the points will take care of themselves.
There will be a time in the near future when a guy in the hunt for points will say "Thank God Sawyer went Distinguished: now we don't have to worry about him taking points anymore".

"Lindbloom" is Jeff Lindbloom, formally of NH. Look in the CMP National Trophy Results and you'll find him (he's usually in the first column). "Brent" is like Bigfoot; people have heard of him, but not many have actually laid eyes on him. He used to run around with Derek, shoot matches (made P100, and went Distinguished quickly), and generally do manly things. That's all before he handed his balls over to some woman.

Who's Derek?

Who's Derek?

1363629757_anigif_not-sure-if-serious-gif-to-be-used-on-forums-22779-1307655858-12.gif

But i'll bite...... He owns NES.

On another topic related to LEG/EIC matches

There are some shooters that will dodge LEG/EIC matches if they know there is or will be tuff competition there that day.

We saw this happen last Sunday while we were doing the squadding for this EIC Match.
There were at least 9 people that decided not to sign up and left not shooting that day once they saw that Leo L. was signed up to shoot.

In my opinion if you dodge the matches with the best shooters in your area in your quest for the badge then you don't deserve it.

In the future we may have to ask that Leo L wait till the last minute to show up for the match to avoid this problem.

Thoughts?

There are some shooters that will dodge LEG/EIC matches if they know there is or will be tuff competition there that day.

We saw this happen last Sunday while we were doing the squadding for this EIC Match.
There were at least 9 people that decided not to sign up and left not shooting that day once they saw that Leo L. was signed up to shoot.

In my opinion if you dodge the matches with the best shooters in your area in your quest for the badge then you don't deserve it.

In the future we may have to ask that Leo L wait till the last minute to show up for the match to avoid this problem.

Thoughts?

Leo Laskin?

You are mentally way ahead of where I was at your point. I used to think too much about who was going to show up for a Leg match, and if I could beat them. I'd get a little pissy if some hot-shot would show up in Scarborough or Hampden trying to poach points. It took me a few matches to learn it doesn't matter who is there; try to make every shot an X and the points will take care of themselves.
There will be a time in the near future when a guy in the hunt for points will say "Thank God Sawyer went Distinguished: now we don't have to worry about him taking points anymore".

"Lindbloom" is Jeff Lindbloom, formally of NH. Look in the CMP National Trophy Results and you'll find him (he's usually in the first column). "Brent" is like Bigfoot; people have heard of him, but not many have actually laid eyes on him. He used to run around with Derek, shoot matches (made P100, and went Distinguished quickly), and generally do manly things. That's all before he handed his balls over to some woman.

OMG This is gold! I may just have to come out of retirement!!

Thoughts?

Back in my quest for the badge, I wanted to shoot against the best. I learned from my mistakes and got advice from those who I sought to hopefully be as good as them. Like Gus Dunfey, Mark Millette, Chris Mitildi, Brian Murphey, John Payton, Dwane Browne, the Trickett clan, The CT Girls (Amanda and Julie), Jeff Lindblom, Ryan C. etc etc.

It was at this very match in Nashua, NH that everything culminated and finally came together. All the advice and support from all my fellow competitors over the years and all the practice matches etc etc, I was able to excel against even the top names.

CMP Club & Competition Tracker | Match Display

http://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=match&task=edit&tab=results&match=2487

Does that mean that I am a bad ass now? No. It just means that my training was working and that if I kept up with, I would be more consistent and be able to compete at that level more frequently. But then everyone knows the rest of the story and I lost my pair after Camp Perry. Now I can't hit a broad side of a barn :)

Poach points??? I would imagine that means shooting at a range whose usual shooters don't normally shoot high scores? Is this it?

Thoughts?

Wow, people actually do this? I'm pissed off at myself that I didn't make the match last weekend as on a good day, I could have gained a few points. Would I have, who knows. I go to a leg match with the intention of being a leg donor, hoping to get lucky! If I'm there, I shoot. Unfortunately there has been 4 matches I planned to shoot this year (so far) and either there was bad weather, I didn't feel well, or had something more important to do (yes, I know shooting is the most important thing, at least it was when I was dragging the kid around and getting my ass beat by him)! Haven't shot a full distance match since last fall!

Poach points??? I would imagine that means shooting at a range whose usual shooters don't normally shoot high scores? Is this it?
I used to think that when my mental game was poor.
In reality, top 10% is top 10%. Cuts can go very high or very low on any range for a variety of reasons. Conditions can play a large role. Sometimes dumb luck (good or bad).

Thoughts?

Hah! That sucks for them..they missed a solid match with little bickering from me and Tiff L. even though the cardinal rule of squadding us on significantly seperated points was broken. I was very proud of how she shot, she almost shot a sharpshooter level score too! I think this may be one of her highest scores, which I am super proud of, and excited for her to go out to Perry with us.

Also: I think it was Mike F who showed up at the last minute, even though he lives significantly closer then me....

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, people actually do this? I'm pissed off at myself that I didn't make the match last weekend as on a good day, I could have gained a few points. Would I have, who knows. I go to a leg match with the intention of being a leg donor, hoping to get lucky! If I'm there, I shoot. Unfortunately there has been 4 matches I planned to shoot this year (so far) and either there was bad weather, I didn't feel well, or had something more important to do (yes, I know shooting is the most important thing, at least it was when I was dragging the kid around and getting my ass beat by him)! Haven't shot a full distance match since last fall!

No people don't do this. George was giving me shit. I'm still a solid leg donor, but maybe someday babby will get his first points.

Last edited:
I used to think that when my mental game was poor.
In reality, top 10% is top 10%. Cuts can go very high or very low on any range for a variety of reasons. Conditions can play a large role. Sometimes dumb luck (good or bad).

I agree. I was just hoping that "poaching" wasn't referring to shooters that come from other ranges or other states in my case. Living in a state where there are no 600 yard ranges makes you go elsewhere if you want to play and we have no home field advantage. People to sometimes get an attitude when you show up and "steal" some of their points. I was there when the CT shooters were sucking up everything in sight and some people just weren't happy, I actually heard comments more than once. I may or may not ever make it to distinguished as I've only shot a handful of full distance matches in the last 8 years or so but I'd like to try. Any I'd be happy to take your points.

I was just joking back in post #33.
Nobody left the match or didn't shoot because Leo (or anyone else) was there.
For whatever reason(s) some just like to give Leo some fun intended ribbings.

Leo,
You and T are definatly making progress in scores and other ways...

George

Highscore,
Hope to see you up here more this year.
There is a SR Champs and a LEG at Reading next weekend.
As I'm sure you know, they have a great range and run the matches extremely well.
I'll be there both days and hope to see you there.

Lets get the word out for people to show up big for this leg and get to 5 cuts!!!!

Last edited:
I was just joking back in post #33.
Nobody left the match or didn't shoot because Leo (or anyone else) was there.
For whatever reason(s) some just like to give Leo some fun intended ribbings.

Leo,
You and T are definatly making progress in scores and other ways...

George

Highscore,
Hope to see you up here more this year.
There is a SR Champs and a LEG at Reading next weekend.
As I'm sure you know, they have a great range and run the matches extremely well.
I'll be there both days and hope to see you there.

Lets get the word out for people to show up big for this leg and get to 5 cuts!!!!

Unfortunately I can't shoot next weekend either, I'll be away on vacation.

Charlie, you still have my barrel. If Jim or Brad goes to the match, please pass it off to them. I will make it up sooner or later but.... Junior is out but I'm not sure he's interested in traveling.

ha, and this thread has taken a turn for the worse

in all seriousness, it was a great match. i medalled, although not quite where I wanted to be (went back to 600 down 7 or 8....and proceeded to drop 11 points @ 600....not like me)

borescoped the barrel that night, and found 2 lands completely missing their edge for about 2" up from the leade. needless to say that barrel is retired for course work now. zeroed my new one last weekend, and shot it today to get zeroes.

dropped 13 points on my feet getting it settled in....and only dropped 3 more the rest of the day. nothing quite like shooting a 784-28x after you dropped 13 offhand.

derp.

upside is, me and mikey hammered today, and SR champs are next weekend. after that, we already agreed we'd partner up for the Hearst this year @ Perry (we both shot 293's last year). I wouldnt mind taking home one of those medals :)

Back
Top Bottom