First Leather

jasons

NES Life Member
NES Member
The most widely attended local leg match that anyone can remember in many years (FOUR cuts!) I managed to cut first leather by two points and two X's. [rofl]

CH_cow_2.jpg

Mooooooo.

My own fault for forgetting how to shoot on my feet of course. Someone needs to do some dry fire....

Congrats to Kerri, Les, Brian, and the guy from Chicopee who's name I forget (sorry.) Great shooting. Thanks to all the guys at Nashua for running a great match as usual. The Regional yesterday was also great. Always a great time at Nashua.

Hopefully we have a similar turn-out at Reading on the 21st.

Last edited:
4 cuts is awesome! I think Nashua draws a large crowd because everybody knows they run a great match on a great range. I'll bet Reading is well attended as well for the same reasons.

I had more than my share of 1st leathers as well!

4 cuts is awesome! I think Nashua draws a large crowd because everybody knows they run a great match on a great range. I'll bet Reading is well attended as well for the same reasons.

I had more than my share of 1st leathers as well!

This was my first one. Makes it extra special. [thinking]

Jason,

I was sorry to see you not get points yesterday.

I know the pain of 1st leather or just being a point or two shy quite well myself back when I was in the hunt for points competing locally against the young guns like Trickett, Dunfey, Castonguay, Elsenboss, Coggshall, etc...

In hindsight I now consider that it was a sort of right of passage.
All the pain and aggravation of first leathers and being just out by a point or two made my finally obtaining the goal all the sweeter.

Something the more gifted shooters we know that "seemingly" did it easy maybe did not get to enjoy.

So to put a positive spin on it. Congradulations on the 1st Leather!

Now that that's out of the way.... Go get more points!

George

Last edited:
I know the pain of 1st leather or just being a point or two shy quite well myself back when I was in the hunt for points competing locally against the young guns like Trickett, Dunfey, Castonguay, Elsenboss, Coggshall, etc...

Now that is some competition.

Thanks George. Honestly after that offhand I didn't think I'd be even close. I checked the records and July 2011 was the last time I shot an offhand string that bad. I was about 7 points below my recent offhand average. Nerves I guess.

....huh?

Help an ignorant fellow out, would ya?

A big goal for many service rifle shooters is to "go distinguished." To do that you have to collect 30 points over a series of "leg" matches. Placing in the top 10% of a "leg" match wins points (6 to 10 depending on how many people are in the top 10% and the order they place in.) You're only allowed to enter 3 leg matches per year (not counting the nationals which is a freebie,) so you really have to be on your game.

Once you go distinguished you get a personalized key to the port-a-john and they let you in on the secrets of the great temples. Or something like that.

I have 12 points so far and was hoping to cut at least another 8 before the nationals where I would have a chance for 10 more to finish. (I still have a shot.)

First leather is just another way to say first loser. Basically it's the first shooter who walks away with nothing.

http://www.thecmp.org/Competitions/Distinguished_History.pdf

Last edited:
It really sucks starting off with undesireable results in the 1st 10 shots of the match (offhand).

In my opinion that is the hardest thing to learn in this game.
" Not letting bad shots or bad strings getting into your head and having negative affects on the shots to follow "

The mental aspects are the most challenging.

Many / some of us (like me) never totally overcome it.
The key is to never give up and never stop trying no matter how bad things go right down to the last shot.

I had my share of first leathers. The one thing that's great about get'n older is, it isn't as bad now as it was then. Keep up the good fight, you've been shooting good.
As George said...its all mental, you have to remember not to beat your only true competition...YOU...and buddy we (I) all do it.

It really sucks starting off with undesireable results in the 1st 10 shots of the match (offhand).

In my opinion that is the hardest thing to learn in this game.
" Not letting bad shots or bad strings getting into your head and having negative affects on the shots to follow "

The mental aspects are the most challenging.

Many / some of us (like me) never totally overcome it.
The key is to never give up and never stop trying no matter how bad things go right down to the last shot.

A few years back I shot in the high 80's in a leg match at Nashua. Although I thought it was over for me I hung in there only dropped a few more and wound up taking 10 points. Being introduced as "the guy who can't shoot offhand" made it all the more sweeter! Wish I could have been there this weekend.

Jason,

I was sorry to see you not get points yesterday.

In hindsight I now consider that it was a sort of right of passage.
All the pain and aggravation of first leathers and being just out by a point or two made my finally obtaining the goal all the sweeter.

Something the more gifted shooters we know that "seemingly" did it easy maybe did not get to enjoy.

Now that that's out of the way.... Go get more points!

George
I think I took 1st Leather 3 times behind Millette, Lindbloom, and the elusive Brent.

I think I took 1st Leather 3 times behind Millette, Lindbloom, and the elusive Brent.

Mark is an excellent shooter, nothing to be ashamed of there. Not sure if I know the other two but I'm sure they're excellent as well.

Bottom line, the shooters who bring their "A game" are going to take home points. It's the ultimate meritocracy and that's one of the reasons that I love the sport as much as I do. It's fun to joke around and play "if I had just....," but at the end of the day it was me and me alone who missed my mark, and those shooters who beat me have my utmost respect and deference.

With that said I am planning to bring my "A game" for the next one. Heading down to my cave to load ammo now.

I'm glad you started this thread, I now know more about it. +1 to you guys.

If you ever want to come by and shoot a match, I'll pay your first entry fee and supply a loaner rifle all set up and ready to go. There's a low-key league match at Reading this Saturday.

Thanks for the explanation, and congrats on competing.

Do you have a link to the rules or an online explanation of the type of competition?

There are two governing bodies that control high-power competition, the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) and the NRA. The leg match stuff that I was talking about above is all CMP. There are some minor differences between the two but the basics are all pretty much the same.

High level overview of the basics: How To Get Started|High Power Rifle Competition

CMP rulebook: http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/rulebook.PDF
NRA Rulebook: http://competitions.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf

The best way to figure it out is to come by and shoot a match and experience it all in person. The offer above stands for anyone who wants to come by and try. The more shooters we have the better.

Mass doesn't have any sort of competition exemption like Connecticut does, right? It seems like a bunch of fun matches of different sorts go on down there that I'd like to try out, but I'd need to get a non-res LTC to shoot at. I've done some searching in NH and ME, but there doesn't seem to be nearly as much organized competition going on.....maybe I'll just have to search some more

ETA: I'm an idiot, this match was at Nashua.....I'd love to check that out sometime. I'll keep my eyes peeled(better than when I read the OP!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Mass doesn't have any sort of competition exemption like Connecticut does, right? It seems like a bunch of fun matches of different sorts go on down there that I'd like to try out, but I'd need to get a non-res LTC to shoot at. I've done some searching in NH and ME, but there doesn't seem to be nearly as much organized competition going on.....maybe I'll just have to search some more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

MA actually does have a competition exemption, but there's some bad case law around high capacity firearms that makes things a bit gray and scares some people away. Most people don't care and we get great turn-outs for the big matches, with shooters from CT, RI, NH, ME, NY, VT and probably others.

Nashua, NH has a packed schedule as well as Scarborough, ME. Hampden, ME is a bit of a drive but they have a good schedule too. Basically there's a full distance match somewhere within driving distance every Saturday and Sunday during the peak season.

Also Nashua runs an awesome beginner's clinic a few times per year that teaches the basics.

I have never heard of this either. Thanks for explaining it.

I know I need to do this some time, but I really really don't want to embarrass myself. [laugh]

If you ever want to come by and shoot a match, I'll pay your first entry fee and supply a loaner rifle all set up and ready to go. There's a low-key league match at Reading this Saturday.

Wow. Thank you! I'll definitely take you up on that offer but I think this Sat. is taken.

I know I need to do this some time, but I really really don't want to embarrass myself. [laugh]

I don't think it's possible to shoot worse than me my first time out. If you're nervous to shoot a real match a clinic is a good option.

I embarrass myself every weekend since i started but i continue to get better and pick up tidbits here and there. Just come out and shoot sometime you will love it.

I embarrass myself every weekend since i started but i continue to get better and pick up tidbits here and there. Just come out and shoot sometime you will love it.

You're getting there. You shot a solid Sharpshooter score, not bad at all.

My very first leg match back in July 2010 I shot a 402-2. And I had had lots marksmanship training and multiple expert qualifications in the Marines (granted it was ten years prior at that point.)

Everybody starts somewhere.

You're getting there. You shot a solid Sharpshooter score, not bad at all.

My very first leg match back in July 2010 I shot a 402-2. And I had had lots marksmanship training and multiple expert qualifications in the Marines (granted it was ten years prior at that point.)

Everybody starts somewhere.

Thanks man.

I just looked and my first leg was a 407-0 in September of 2011. That makes me feel better that I continue to improve.

Mark is an excellent shooter, nothing to be ashamed of there. Not sure if I know the other two but I'm sure they're excellent as well.

Bottom line, the shooters who bring their "A game" are going to take home points. It's the ultimate meritocracy and that's one of the reasons that I love the sport as much as I do. It's fun to joke around and play "if I had just....," but at the end of the day it was me and me alone who missed my mark, and those shooters who beat me have my utmost respect and deference.

With that said I am planning to bring my "A game" for the next one.
Heading down to my cave to load ammo now.
You are mentally way ahead of where I was at your point. I used to think too much about who was going to show up for a Leg match, and if I could beat them. I'd get a little pissy if some hot-shot would show up in Scarborough or Hampden trying to poach points. It took me a few matches to learn it doesn't matter who is there; try to make every shot an X and the points will take care of themselves.
There will be a time in the near future when a guy in the hunt for points will say "Thank God Sawyer went Distinguished: now we don't have to worry about him taking points anymore".

"Lindbloom" is Jeff Lindbloom, formally of NH. Look in the CMP National Trophy Results and you'll find him (he's usually in the first column). "Brent" is like Bigfoot; people have heard of him, but not many have actually laid eyes on him. He used to run around with Derek, shoot matches (made P100, and went Distinguished quickly), and generally do manly things. That's all before he handed his balls over to some woman.

"Brent" is like Bigfoot; people have heard of him, but not many have actually laid eyes on him. He used to run around with Derek, shoot matches (made P100, and went Distinguished quickly), and generally do manly things. That's all before he handed his balls over to some woman.

He in fact does exist. I met him once, once.

Back
Top Bottom