first buck and doe- 2009

we went for a 4-day trip to NY for the opening of shotgun deer season... what a great time and what great luck we had!

the doe was taken this past Saturday in Triangle, NY. small girl, but she packed our freezer pretty well! He was happy with just taking a doe.... he got her out of a stand w/a shotgun.

JA5D7E1copy.jpg

here is a pic of hubby's first buck- taken this past Sunday (the day after he shot the doe) in Triangle, NY. He shot this deer w/a T.C. Muzzleloader from the ground-- he was about 150? dressed, but i have to double check [grin] we gave his meat to a family that lives out there. we'll have his head back in 3-8 months (can't transport any bones whatsoever over state lines, due to CWD in NY state.)

JA558E1copy.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking buck..his head will make a very nice trophy, and it was very nice of you guys to donate the meat as well...If you get anymore let me know my freezer is a little empty..LOL...

thanks!

we kept the doe meat... just gave the buck's meat away... but the people out there will eat that for most of the winter [grin]

Congrats

Great symmetrical rack on that buck! Love to hear more about the tactics and play by play.

Good luck in Zone 11 next week. With all the deer there, I'm surprised you travel to NY.

play by play!

this is jason,

There is a God, he heard my prayers Sat am for a deer to show up, amongst appx. 100 shots from sun up to 8:30 in the Am she worked slowly up my blind side of a oak/pine ridge. I am not kidding, within 1 minute of me praying she showed herself. i was standing when she came round, i could not believe my eyes. I put my knee on my treestand seat and leaned into the tree for a good rest. My 500 pump action clicked and resulted in alerting her, she looked right at me in tree, locked on to me. I held for 30 seconds and she finally flicked her ear and tail and returned to feeding. BOOM! I missed, the slug just hit the edge of a large tree trunk. she jumped right into another opening and i followed up with a shot right in the boiler room. She scattered down the blind ridge and i heard her go down. I was so excited , i got my composure and climbed down and walked up to her 40 feet away. First deer on the ground.

So I planned to go afield next morning and hoped to see a buck or not. Either way i was ecstatic. I was siiting on a fencerow hour past first light when some local hunters moved passed me and invited me into their driving party, i was to be a stander. we pushed three 40 acres parcels and saw only one blonde coyote, he's dead now.

we moved out to this abandoned xmas tree area. i was on the far side, posting when he broke free from the timber in a relaxed jog. I could not believe it, i put my gun up and my scope was zoomed all the way in i could not find him inthe view so i dropped it rolled it out cocked the hammer and gun back up, he was still moving fast, i meeped at him once twice, still running, third time he stopped, perfectly right in front of me @50 yards. boom dropped him right where he stood. All the locals were impressed with him and not seen him in the area at all.
He was just passing thru, not any more!
in ny hunting hours from sunsrise to sunset

Last edited:
Great story. That second day feeling of satisfaction of already getting one is calming/relieving. Nice of those guys to invite you along.

Praying, misses, blind sides, malfunctions, and recoveries is what it's all about! Thanks for sharing.

Congrats on 2 nice deer!

Triangle always looked like great territory. I drive through there, along with Coventry and Lisle and Center Lisle, on my way to hunt in the Southern Tier. Shot a spike on day 2. Some great hunting down there!

yeah it's right next to chenango county which has some great deer. second year no deer last year , but he sure was worth waiting for .

Back
Top Bottom