Fire department / storage

tommyc

NES Member
Is there a form I need to fill out to increase ammo storage limit ?
Any help on this greatly appreciated.

Based on what I've seen posted here over time your experience will vary greatly from place to place. Some towns seem to have never heard of the permits and you might have to 'educate' them. The fee will also vary. In my town, it's $30. The last time I got one I was told that they really didn't care how much ammo or powder was stored, but they limited the primers to 5000.

Since I use 4 main types of primers, and usually buy them 5000 at a time, the permit didn't help me a whole lot. [sad]

There's an inconsistency in the regs. One section says permit lets you store 10K primers and another section says max 5K in residence. As noted above, each town is different. My FD gave me 10K limit on primers, no charge for the permit, and it's perpetual w/no time limit.

Tried to get one of those permits twice! Chief had no idea what I was talking about? After 2 tries I gave up?

I suppose it is too much to search for the lengthy thread in the proper sub-forum (MA gun laws . . . most civilized states seem not to regulate this)? The questions, the CMR citation, etc. are all there along with advice on how to deal with this in MA (including when FD is clueless).

Try asking for a black powder permit. I walked into my FD with the print out from GOAL and no one knew what I was looking for until one of the guys said I just needed the black powder permit. I covers black powder, smokeless powder and primers (at least in my town)

Curtis

I suppose it is too much to search for the lengthy thread in the proper sub-forum (MA gun laws . . . most civilized states seem not to regulate this)? The questions, the CMR citation, etc. are all there along with advice on how to deal with this in MA (including when FD is clueless).

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/massachusetts-laws/199435-ma-ammo-storage-regs.html

Been there, I figure if its not important to them (fire dept) then its not important to me. One of these days I will go back and get it. Sucks to take a day out of work to go deal with them and they look at me like I have no clue what I'm talking about.

And here:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/massachusetts-laws/82760-ammo-storage-laws.html

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/massachusetts-laws/47892-permit-ammunition-storage.html

I don't understand the need to take a day off from work to deal with this??? Perhaps your FD is only open from 9-5 M-F?

I'd just drop a letter off at the FD front desk anytime I'm driving by with info and reference to CMR with advice that if they have any procedural questions that they should call the MA State Fire Marshal's Office for clarification. I'd follow up with a phone call a few days later. Email might be another possibility (that's how I dealt with my last renewal).

The potential insurance consequences of ignoring this far exceed any cost issues, but YMMV!

"You can do a search here about it, or maybe someone will find it for you."

I did search and I didn't find anything , sorry to bother you.

Lowell Police are reviewing all aspects of state and federal gun laws to determine if there are any violations. The gunowner's Massachusetts license to carry a firearm was immediately revoked by Superintendent Kenneth Lavallee.

Read more:About 40 guns stolen from Lowell home - Lowell Sun Online

Didn't see anything in there about primers, powder or special permit. What I did see is that because someone broke into his house and broke into his safe he looses his license? Give me 20 min and a couple tools and I will get into any one of your gun safes.

How many rounds of ammo can we keep at home before we have to see the fire department? My licensing authority never mentioned any of this. No mention of FA-10, out of state purchases, special permits from the fire department, etc. Just took my C-note and told me that he would call me when the renewed FID came in. He called, I picked it up at the station about 2 months later. Why the hell aren't all of these details mentioned by the licensing officers?

How many rounds of ammo can we keep at home before we have to see the fire department? My licensing authority never mentioned any of this. No mention of FA-10, out of state purchases, special permits from the fire department, etc. Just took my C-note and told me that he would call me when the renewed FID came in. He called, I picked it up at the station about 2 months later. Why the hell aren't all of these details mentioned by the licensing officers?

Because most cops don't have a clue about MA gun laws either. Plus, even if you did have a licensing officer that was knowledgeable enough, you'd literally have to spend the entire day with him to cover everything you can't do in this state.

Back
Top Bottom