Federal 38 Special Nyclad HP now being manufactured again

Cool. This is the load I carried when I was on embassy duty during my stint in the USMC. The Nyclad is normally loaded mild for snubnoses, but I hope they have a +P version as well.

Does anyone know if the Nyclads are in the food chain anwhere yet? I sent an email to FS to see if they will get some but they won't be back to work 'til Tuesday.

John

Good to see its back. From the rec.guns faq: http://www.recguns.com/Sources/VG1.html

"If you carry an aluminum-frame snub nose .38 (e.g. S&W Model 38
Bodyguard, 642, 442, 37, or Colt Cobra) I urge you to carry a standard
pressure (non +P) .38 round. Firing a few +P rounds won't ruin your gun,
but extended +P use will cause some damage (say, over 100 rounds).
Lightweight snubbies kick like a mule with the FBI load or other +P
rounds, and more controllable standard loads will enable you to get more
hits in rapid fire (remember - only hits count). The best standard
pressure .38 load is the Federal 125 grain Nyclad lead hollowpoint
(P38M). This P38M hollowpoint - known as the "Chief's Special load" - was
specifically designed to expand at lower velocities and is the industry
leader in standard pressure .38 rounds. I particularly recommend this
round for women who carry .38 snubs (steel- or aluminum-framed), as women
tend to be weaker and more sensitive to blast and kick. This may seem
sexist, but it's also true. Another acceptable standard pressure .38 load
is the Winchester Silvertip 110 grain JHP (X38S9HP), but I strongly
prefer the Federal Nyclad P38M .38 Special."

Last edited:
38 Special - With the introduction of semi-auto pistols, this caliber was relegated to secondary status. This data is from 2 and 3 inch revolvers which limit muzzle velocity & therefore results are less than other comparable calibers. Both the Winchester and Federal 158 grain LHP+P offerings were involved in 158 shootings with the Winchester round making 121 single shot stops for a 68% rating and the Federal loading making 120 one shot stops for a 67% rating. Most all of the 16 loadings examined fell in the 60 percent range with the Federal 125 grain Nyclad LHP+P round earning a 61% rating. It’s clear than the long-used 158 grain lead hollowpoint pushed to +P pressures is the best round for this caliber.

It’s clear than the long-used 158 grain lead hollowpoint pushed to +P pressures is the best round for this caliber.
That is my load of choice for .38 Special. Buffalo Bore supercharges it to almost 357 Magnum velocity while keeping it within SAAMI pressure limits for 38 Spcl.

Cool. This is the load I carried when I was on embassy duty during my stint in the USMC. The Nyclad is normally loaded mild for snubnoses, but I hope they have a +P version as well.

Are MSG's still carrying S&W revolvers under the State Department belief that anything else would express the message that the Marines are carrying for other than defensive reasons?

Sorry for the thread drift.

PM, MSG Moscow, Geneva, Liberia

Back
Top Bottom