Falling in love with my M1...AGAIN.

stoneypete

NES Member
With the new aquisitions this year, it's been a while since I took the M1 out for a day. So I decided is was time for the big girls and took my '03 and M1 to the 100 yard range for some quality time. The nice thing about firearms is the others were not jealous that I left them at home.[wink]

It was my first time shooting the '03 since I bought it back from my friend and she's just as accurate as when she left.[smile] She capable of some great accuracy, it's just the loose nut pulling the trigger that's the problem. (Yes, Nickle and Dwarven1, I will someday get my lazy butt to an Appleseed and you can tighten this nut down.)

I finally settle in with the M1 and slowly squeeze the trigger. The shot breaks and old faithful gives me that gentle kiss on the sholder. WOW! Now I remember why I fell in love with this girl in the first place.[smile]

She's not a tack driver, but she'll put 'em all in a pie plate all day long if I do my part. I just wish I had enough $$ for ammo to afford shooting her all day long.

Bottom line: If you are a Milsurp collector and you don't have an M1 yet.

GET ONE!

Last edited:
Stoney - I know the feeling. My Garand is a 1944 Winchester with a Danish VAR barrel. My first Milsurp, purchased from a local gun shop. Extremely accurate (I know it's not me) at 100-200 yards. Haven't tried any longer distances. When I shoot it I envision myself as my dad in WWII only replacing Germans with rectangular pieces of paper.

Frosty quoting EddieCoyle quoting FPrice:

I quoted you yesterday.

My son and I shot the Garand I bought from you, and I told him (as you told me), "Every man should own a Garand."

Mine is a new Springfield Armory model. One of the rebuilds they came out with a while back. My father got it for me as a birthday/christmas present from Terry at Collector's in NH. Surprised me with it at a gun show after I was drooling over one of them on the table. "Here, this one's yours BTW" Terry said as he pulled one out from behind his chair.

Its definitely the most accurate iron sight rifle I own.

CMP Greek service-grade HRA here. Good enough accuracy for 39th place at Perry in 2005's John C. Garand match. I bought it on a Sunday and shot it Saturday the same week. I resisted buying one because I didn't want to stock .30-06 again ( my 1903 barrel is worn too much - keyholes at 100yds! ) but my buddy twisted my arm enough to break down and get one.

Joe R.

Back
Top Bottom