• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Facebook Poll : Amo Tax

Saw this on Facebook. Not surprised by the results!

amotax.JPG

Looks like nobody wants it to go through. I had my keys in hand to go to Wally world until I read that twice.....

I wonder how these folks are getting elected. There already is a 11% tax on all ammo manufactured or imported into the US.

WOW! 11%...do you also pay state sales tax (in MA)....so 16%???

HOLY CRAP!!!!

Make it almost ~18%, 11% excise, 6.25% sales tax plus that's includes the 11% excise tax (tax on top of a tax), for a real total of 17.94%.

So we must be paying tax on taxes if the sticker price has tax already figured in, the actual Mass. tax I think would be 7.66 % crooked sneaky slime balls.

You pay tax on tax all of the time. You pay income tax on the money you pay out to property taxes, sales taxes and 99% of the .gov fees out there.

A proposal to reduce the sales tax from 6.5% to 3% is now on the November state ballot. Vote it in. Don't listen to the BS scare tactics of the Boston Globe or the unions. Vote it in. Don't screw it up this time.

Ok, I know this is drifting off topic now...but I've been trying to find ANYONE who is in favor of lowering out sales tax to explain to me where we will get the revenue this gives us. Seriously. Every time I hear someone say this, they cannot give me hard numbers on where the lost revenue will be made up.

I hear...we'll cut spending. Ok...WHERE? Until we can get rid of the unionized government workers in this state, we are screwed.

I see it like this:

Cutting taxes is analogous to to taking a cut in salary at your job. This forces you to either get a second job to maintain your standard of living or cut back on things or even sell your house and move to a cheaper place. For a city or state, this means cutting services...you think its bad now with the police and fire departments being cut...wait until we go to 3% sales tax. Guess what...the state and towns will start creating other fees and taxes to make up for it.

So, please tell me...where will we be if the state sales tax is dropped? I honestly want to know. I'm not being sarcastic. I want to know what true supporters of this really feel and what the well thought out arguments are. Thank you so much.

MODS...feel free to move this to OT. :)

Ok, I know this is drifting off topic now...but I've been trying to find ANYONE who is in favor of lowering out sales tax to explain to me where we will get the revenue this gives us. Seriously. Every time I hear someone say this, they cannot give me hard numbers on where the lost revenue will be made up.

I hear...we'll cut spending. Ok...WHERE? Until we can get rid of the unionized government workers in this state, we are screwed.

I see it like this:

Cutting taxes is analogous to to taking a cut in salary at your job. This forces you to either get a second job to maintain your standard of living or cut back on things or even sell your house and move to a cheaper place. For a city or state, this means cutting services...you think its bad now with the police and fire departments being cut...wait until we go to 3% sales tax. Guess what...the state and towns will start creating other fees and taxes to make up for it.

So, please tell me...where will we be if the state sales tax is dropped? I honestly want to know. I'm not being sarcastic. I want to know what true supporters of this really feel and what the well thought out arguments are. Thank you so much.

Are you saying there isn't any spending on beacon hill that's frivolous, wasteful, or corrupt?

How about we lower the sales tax and make it back by cutting social pork programs? Or cut the MSP salaries? Or by making John 'ufck you Massachusetts' Kerry pay his boat's sales tax?

How about we throw illegal immigrants in work camp to make cheap crap to compete with the imported Chinese crap?

None of these sound feasible?

Maybe we should just keep increasing spending.

I'd be all for leaving the taxes where they are, and cutting spending (on a federal and state level), until the deficit is diminished, and THEN lowering taxes. Unfortunately doesn't appear that that is going to happen in the near future.

Mike

Why don't people just get to keep their money? I don't get it.

Yeah...there are these things that people expect our government to do...you know...keep up the roads, pay the fire and police, pay the lazy bastards at the RMV, employ the EOPS board.

You know...important stuff.[smile]

Are you saying there isn't any spending on beacon hill that's frivolous, wasteful, or corrupt?

How about we lower the sales tax and make it back by cutting social pork programs? Or cut the MSP salaries? Or by making John 'ufck you Massachusetts' Kerry pay his boat's sales tax?

How about we throw illegal immigrants in work camp to make cheap crap to compete with the imported Chinese crap?

None of these sound feasible?

Maybe we should just keep increasing spending.

Quite the contrary...there is plenty of wasteful spending on Beacon Hill. You know..continuing to pay convicted felons their state pensions, paying MassPort cops 2 to 3 times their salary to avoid having to hire new police to cover shifts, insistence by the police unions that flaggers aren't safe. Even if we did away with all of that...that would come no where close to making up the hundreds of millions of dollars that would be lost by cutting the sales tax.

Until the proponents of the tax cut can show a real amount that can be cut by reduced spending and cuts in pork projects, people will vote to keep the taxes where they are.

Also, please define social pork programs?

Things like:
* Rape counseling and battered women shelters
* SSI for the disabled (Blind, etc)?
* Social Security Benegits for widows?
* Head Start
* Free school lunches

Just curious of your definitions

Thanks

I see it like this:

For starters, lets cut the legislators down to a part time job. I'm serious. They don't do more than 1/4 of a day's work, so lets at least cut it in half.

Shrink the size of government. Get rid of the non essential city and state & town workers. That would reduce payroll costs by (at least) half!

Eliminate the state pension system (which our tax dollars pay for) and force the remaining city and state workers and all political HACKS to place their contributions into a private retirement account. Like the rest of us!

Cut all non essential spending. Do welfare recipients really need new cars, free gas and free auto repairs at taxpayer expense?

Sell all non essential state, city and town vehicles. Let them get themselves to work driving their own cars at their own expense. Like the rest of us!

Get rid of the teacher's union then pay teachers by merit!

Get rid of ALL government unions!

Open all state, city and town contracts to non union businesses.

Sell all unused state, city and town land and buildings.

Finally, lower ALL taxes and invite businesses to move here offering them further incentives. The more businesses to move here, the more people they hire. The more people working the more the state broadens its tax base. The more it broadens its tax base, the more it lowers its taxes, the more it lowers its taxes the more businesses move here. The more businesses to move here, the more people they hire...................you get the idea.

Former Gov.Weld proved it could be done. Nothing has changed except we have TAX & SPEND Democrats running everything in this state..............into the ground.

Last edited:
This one is easy. Have Massachusetts start modeling how New Hampshire does things for starters. New Hampshire doesn't have a sales tax and surprisingly the state still functions.

When are you going to run for government office? If you tried to do all of these things...you'd have my vote EVEN if you are a republican! [smile]

For starters, lets cut the legislators down to a part time job. I'm serious. They don't do more than 1/4 of a day's work, so lets at least cut it in half.

Me : For that! I think Nevada or Utah runs that way now.

Shrink the size of government. Get rid of the non essential city and state & town workers. That would reduce payroll costs by (at least) half!

Me : Only problem...who defines "non-essential"?

Eliminate the state pension system (which our tax dollars pay for) and force the remaining city and state workers and all political HACKS to place their contributions into a private retirement account. Like the rest of us!

Me : OOOORAH!

Cut all non essential spending. Do welfare recipients really need new cars, free gas and free auto repairs at taxpayer expense?

Me : WTF? Where are Welfare recipients getting new cars? I needs to gets me on some welfare then! Yeah...this has got to stop.

Sell all non essential state, city and town vehicles. Let them get themselves to work driving their own cars at their own expense. Like the rest of us!

Me : OOOOOORAH!

Get rid of the teacher's union then pay teachers by merit!

Get rid of ALL government unions!

Open all state, city and town contracts to non union businesses.

Sell all unused state, city and town land and buildings.

Finally, lower ALL taxes and invite businesses to move here offering them further incentives. The more businesses to move here, the more people they hire. The more people working the more the state broadens its tax base. The more it broadens its tax base, the more it lowers its taxes, the more it lowers its taxes the more businesses move here. The more businesses to move here, the more people they hire...................you get the idea.

Former Gov.Weld proved it could be done. Nothing has changed except we have TAX & SPEND Democrats running everything in this state..............into the ground.

Me : Didn't live here during Weld's era...but everyone I talked to says he's great.

This one is easy. Have Massachusetts start modeling how New Hampshire does things for starters. New Hampshire doesn't have a sales tax and surprisingly the state still functions.

Not sure I'm down with this one.

The NH property taxes are twice as high, right? But I suppose you end up paying the same amount of money at the end of the year between NH property taxes and MA property tax + sales tax.

Not sure I'm down with this one.

The NH property taxes are twice as high, right? But I suppose you end up paying the same amount of money at the end of the year between NH property taxes and MA property tax + sales tax.

I ran the numbers for my wife and myself about two years ago. I was generous to the state and only figured that half of our diposable income was subject to sales tax (in reality, I think it's much higher).

Based on those figures if, we moved to New Hampshire, our NH property tax would have to increase by almost 3 times what we're currently paying in MA before it evened out. That's not taking into consideration intangibles, like freedom. [wink]

As to how would MA replace the money if the sales tax was reduced to 3%....frankly, I don't care. I don't want them to replace the money. This state spends close to ONE BILLION dollars a week; week in and week out. I voted to eliminate the income tax. We were told that if that passed the world would end, and other taxes would go up. It didn't pass, so the world continued. So what was government's response? They increased the sales tax from 5% to 6.25%...7%, if you dine out in a city or town that exercised the local meals tax increase. Why shouldn't they? Almost 70% of the voters said they were getting good value for their tax dollars. The voters spoke, and the legislature listened. I wish to hell they'd listen every time the voters spoke, but it appears they have very selective hearing.

Is living with the endless regulations, corruption, and gun laws (that lack any shred of logic) in this state what we should expect for one billion dollars a week? The money that we pay in taxes only goes to further feed this mutated beast that we call a state government. I want the beast starved. I'm sure it will lose some of the muscle along with the fat, but at this point I just don't give a damn anymore. I'm tired of being an ATM for these moonbats.

I can't wait for the time when my wife and I can escape. I think about it daily.

My apologies for contributing to the thread drift, but everytime I hear the words "taxes" and "Massachusetts" in the same sentence my blood pressure spikes.

I ran the numbers for my wife and myself about two years ago. I was generous to the state and only figured that half of our diposable income was subject to sales tax (in reality, I think it's much higher).

Based on those figures if, we moved to New Hampshire, our NH property tax would have to increase by almost 3 times what we're currently paying in MA before it evened out. That's not taking into consideration intangibles, like freedom. [wink]

As to how would MA replace the money if the sales tax was reduced to 3%....frankly, I don't care. I don't want them to replace the money. This state spends close to ONE BILLION dollars a week; week in and week out. I voted to eliminate the income tax. We were told that if that passed the world would end, and other taxes would go up. It didn't pass, so the world continued. So what was government's response? They increased the sales tax from 5% to 6.25%...7%, if you dine out in a city or town that exercised the local meals tax increase. Why shouldn't they? Almost 70% of the voters said they were getting good value for their tax dollars. The voters spoke, and the legislature listened. I wish to hell they'd listen every time the voters spoke, but it appears they have very selective hearing.

Is living with the endless regulations, corruption, and gun laws (that lack any shred of logic) in this state what we should expect for one billion dollars a week? The money that we pay in taxes only goes to further feed this mutated beast that we call a state government. I want the beast starved. I'm sure it will lose some of the muscle along with the fat, but at this point I just don't give a damn anymore. I'm tired of being an ATM for these moonbats.

I can't wait for the time when my wife and I can escape. I think about it daily.

My apologies for contributing to the thread drift, but everytime I hear the words "taxes" and "Massachusetts" in the same sentence my blood pressure spikes.

Very well spoken my friend.

Umm, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we've had a national ammunition tax of 10% since, oh, 1919!!

1. What is Firearms and Ammunition Excise Tax (FAET)?
Firearms and Ammunition Excise Tax (FAET) is a tax imposed by Chapter 32 of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 4181) on the sale of firearms and ammunition by manufacturers, producers, and importers.
Chapter 32 also imposes taxes on other commodities such as:
Tires
Gasoline
Coal
Vaccines
Sport fishing equipment
Bows and arrows
2. What agency collects FAET?
Since its inception in 1919, different Federal agencies have been responsible for overseeing the collection of FAET. From 1919 to 1990, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) was responsible for collecting FAET. On January 1, 1991 , this function was transferred from the IRS to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF).
On November 25, 2002 , President Bush signed into law the Homeland Security Act of 2002. The Homeland Security Act divided the functions of ATF into two new agencies: the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) in the Department of Justice and the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) in the Department of the Treasury. On January 24, 2003 , TTB became responsible for administering the collection of FAET and handling the regulatory and taxation aspects of the alcohol and tobacco industries. The TTB's National Revenue Center performs all duties supporting the collection of FAET.
” [Refer to Industry Circular 2003-2] “ and the link should link to that particular page.

http://www.ttb.gov/firearms/faet-faqs.shtml?cm_sp=ExternalLink-_-Federal-_-Treasury

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom